RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-15, 07:04 PM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have contacted Lexus corporate with my concerns with an email and awaiting reply. I specifically asked if a TSB has been issued for this 'issue'. I have not contacted my dealership yet.
Old 08-17-15, 07:25 PM
garbo
Driver

Originally Posted by garbo
I have contacted Lexus corporate with my concerns with an email and awaiting reply. I specifically asked if a TSB has been issued for this 'issue'. I have not contacted my dealership yet.
Here is the corporate line:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department.

We apologize that you are displeased with the seats of the 2015 RX350. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts. Consumer opinion and perception play an active role in our ongoing efforts to lead the automobile industry in quality, innovation, styling and reliability.

Please know, this is not a known issue, however, the information you have provided is used in combination with warranty claims and other customer contacts to track trends with our vehicles. We have documented your concerns here at Lexus National Headquarters for future product consideration.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this email, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Verdin
Lexus Customer Satisfaction

Note that the call the issue "displeased" which means that the seat is not the problem but rather that the driver just doesn't like it. THAT IS NOT THE CASE. There is something poking up under the seat in 3 places and the cushion is not thick enough to 'hide' it. I am following up with another email before4 contacting the dealer to see if the seat is in fact defective. I will keep you posted.
Old 08-18-15, 06:43 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Why not try another RX at the dealer to see if the seat has the same issue? Maybe even an earlier model. My 2013 has no such issues.
Old 08-18-15, 06:09 PM
garbo
Driver

As I stated I am providing the follow-up statement from Lexus

Thank you for your response. We would be more than happy to look further into this for you. If you feel there is an underlying issue with the seat cushions in your vehicle, we recommend having the vehicle inspected at a Lexus dealership. We are not able to provide any assistance until we know exactly what the issue is, and what needs to be done to correct it. If you have had your vehicle in for inspection, please provide the following information:

Your primary phone number:
Home address:
Current mileage:
Name of the Lexus dealer you are working with:

Upon inspection , your concern will be forwarded to a case manager for review.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., or Saturday, 7:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Pacific Time.

I will in fact follow-up with the dealer. I will keep you posted.
Old 08-18-15, 06:11 PM
garbo
Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Why not try another RX at the dealer to see if the seat has the same issue? Maybe even an earlier model. My 2013 has no such issues.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will certainly try sitting in a RX350 in the showroom when I bring my vehicle there for an inspection.
Old 08-31-15, 03:01 PM
smileytex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a big problem with my 2014 RX, the driver seat has become unbearable to drive for more than 15 minutes. I have been to the dealership 4 or 5 times, they have tried to spread the seat, add foam, finally they replaced the seat (bottom portion only) and that did not help. I have taken it to 4 car upholstery shops and had two of them work on the seat...no real change. I went to Lexus today and sat in a 2008 RX and it was sublime (just like my 2001 RX). I don't understand what Lexus is thinking with the sport seating, it's hard and uncomfortable and there is no need for it (no RX owner I know is taking corners at 90mph).
I have called Lexus corporate and have been assigned a "case manager" for the issue I am having, I am not confident anything will come of it, but at least they have a report of the issue. I am most likely going to trade this in for another make, which really upsets me because I have owned RX's for the past 15 years.
Old 08-31-15, 03:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

^^^ I am thankful that I have found the RX seats to be comfy, for many hours at a time. However, in your case it sounds like you are not satisfied with the actual seat design, rather than an issue with your particular RX being out of spec. If that's the case, I wouldn't expect that there's much the case manager can do for you. I hope you can fid some sort of resolution, even if that means a different make.

Jeff
Old 09-02-15, 05:44 AM
garbo
Driver

Originally Posted by smileytex
I am having a big problem with my 2014 RX, the driver seat has become unbearable to drive for more than 15 minutes. I have been to the dealership 4 or 5 times, they have tried to spread the seat, add foam, finally they replaced the seat (bottom portion only) and that did not help. I have taken it to 4 car upholstery shops and had two of them work on the seat...no real change. I went to Lexus today and sat in a 2008 RX and it was sublime (just like my 2001 RX). I don't understand what Lexus is thinking with the sport seating, it's hard and uncomfortable and there is no need for it (no RX owner I know is taking corners at 90mph).
I have called Lexus corporate and have been assigned a "case manager" for the issue I am having, I am not confident anything will come of it, but at least they have a report of the issue. I am most likely going to trade this in for another make, which really upsets me because I have owned RX's for the past 15 years.

I certainly understand your issue as I have the same issue. I have yet to visit my dealer but your post does not lead me to expect anything better than what I have. I have tired to understand the cause of this and I believe that the problem stems from the underlying mold of the seat and short of stripping the seat to its very core and then shaving parts of the molded base nothing will help. I am so disappointed since I have never owned a car with such a problem, and this from a 'luxury' brand. I am so unhappy that if given the chance I would gladly undo this deal and drive my 2004 Nissan Murano for another 12 years. It may not have the same cache as Lexus but it was sooo much more comfortable.
Old 09-07-15, 06:00 AM
10Lexus3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garbo
I certainly understand your issue as I have the same issue. I have yet to visit my dealer but your post does not lead me to expect anything better than what I have. I have tired to understand the cause of this and I believe that the problem stems from the underlying mold of the seat and short of stripping the seat to its very core and then shaving parts of the molded base nothing will help. I am so disappointed since I have never owned a car with such a problem, and this from a 'luxury' brand. I am so unhappy that if given the chance I would gladly undo this deal and drive my 2004 Nissan Murano for another 12 years. It may not have the same cache as Lexus but it was sooo much more comfortable.
We switched brands. We found Volvo to have outstanding seats and now we have 3 of them - an XC90, an S80, and a C70. We thought we would see higher repairs, but that hasn't been the case. Normal maintenance costs have actually been a little lower. Worst we can say is the nav is a joke in our '14 XC90, but rear visibility is better. We hated to give up our 2010 RX but we couldn't stand the seats. No regrets with the Volvo for us. I am sure there are other choices out there; just be sure to go for a 45 minute test drive with whatever you are considering.it
Old 09-07-15, 07:24 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 10Lexus3
... just be sure to go for a 45 minute test drive with whatever you are considering.
I think salespeople rush the test drive and folks are reluctant to ask for a longer ride. Maybe shorter rides to narrow down the selection and then a longer ride of two or 3 models to get to the final choice.
Old 09-07-15, 08:41 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I love Lexus vehicles but all the Lexus I've owned had terrible seats, including the RX. Fortunately, my drives aren't long but when I do need to drive more than 30 minutes, I start to feel my body aching. A Chrysler 300 I rented had better seats. I drove for 4 hours and by the end of the drive, I did not feel fatigue at all.
Old 09-07-15, 09:05 AM
garbo
Driver

In my never ending quest to figure out the seat 'issue' my wife told me try all of the controls regarding the seat positioning. She pointed out that there is a control which lifts and lowers the front portion of the seat. If one lowers the front as much as possible I noticed that the seat 'flattens' out a bit. This reduces, but does not eliminate the feeling of sitting on a bag of potatoes. It seems that the various controls reveal that whatever mechanism under the seat, is what 'pokes' up and gives that feeling of sitting on the frame. It is very much like the massage chairs which is sold in a furniture store, extremely annoying and uncomfortable as the mechanism pushes up against you. I just can't believe that Lexus would have such a poorly designed seat.
Old 09-08-15, 12:08 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I love Lexus vehicles but all the Lexus I've owned had terrible seats, including the RX. Fortunately, my drives aren't long but when I do need to drive more than 30 minutes, I start to feel my body aching. A Chrysler 300 I rented had better seats. I drove for 4 hours and by the end of the drive, I did not feel fatigue at all.
I recently drove a rented Chrysler 300S for a total of 34 hours of drive time on a long road trip and I did not think the seats were any better. In fact, it was worse because the 300 lacked lumbar support and I had to bolster my lower back with a neck pillow for most the trip.

I am really confused why people think RX seats are not comfortable. Is it an F-Sport thing?
Old 09-08-15, 12:26 PM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great road car

[QUOTE=kitlz;4955869]Sandi, I agree with everyone. The seats are better. I thought they were 'thinner' too but after making a few adjustments, they were fine.[/QUOTE

Just getting back online three years after a major stroke. The seats are great we went on three long road trips this summer several12-15 hour days,seats were very comfortable the adjustable lumbar really helps with keeping back pain away
Old 09-08-15, 01:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I recently drove a rented Chrysler 300S for a total of 34 hours of drive time on a long road trip and I did not think the seats were any better. In fact, it was worse because the 300 lacked lumbar support and I had to bolster my lower back with a neck pillow for most the trip.
Our rental had 4-way lumbar support (may have been a standard feature). I actually had to lessen the support because it was bending my back too much! Perhaps if the RX had vertical adjustment, I can actually find the sweet spot. If I can only move the rear seat up front, that would solve my comfort issue. The rear bench is quite comfy!

Quick Reply: 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)