RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX Air Dam Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 05:08 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe G
Anita,
Online Lowes has a 20" roll of gutter guard item #11632, mod #85198 for
$3.76 in New York.
Joe G
Joe G, thanks. I like Lowes better anyway Hope your RX is doing well especially in all this snow we've been getting lately.
Old 02-24-10, 01:11 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Joe,

I read your other thread a few weeks ago. I recalled it the other day and took a look underneath our '10 RX and was amazed that they left that area exposed like they did.

So they acknowledged the potential issue but didn't offer you a remedy, you did that work yourself?
Old 02-24-10, 01:26 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Joe,

I read your other thread a few weeks ago. I recalled it the other day and took a look underneath our '10 RX and was amazed that they left that area exposed like they did.

So they acknowledged the potential issue but didn't offer you a remedy, you did that work yourself?
A bunch of us did the work ourselves to protect that exposed area ! This has been a sore spot in the RX for many years, and not just limited to the 2010 RX. I did the very same mod to my 2005 RX.
Old 02-24-10, 01:33 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4482
A bunch of us did the work ourselves to protect that exposed area ! This has been a sore spot in the RX for many years, and not just limited to the 2010 RX. I did the very same mod to my 2005 RX.
That's what I thought, but I couldn't believe an area like that would be left exposed without any remedy. I already emailed my father the link to this thread and he agreed we'll do this minor fix ourselves right away, especially with all the crap that's left on the road from a new england winter. Thanks for bringing this to light!
Old 02-24-10, 02:27 PM
Joe G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I thought, but I couldn't believe an area like that would be left exposed without any remedy. I already emailed my father the link to this thread and he agreed we'll do this minor fix ourselves right away, especially with all the crap that's left on the road from a new england winter. Thanks for bringing this to light!
Good Revs; hard to believe the radiator is exposed, and the potential is there for our situation to repeat itself. Hope it never does, glad to hear you agree the modification needs to be made and will install the mesh.
Cheap insurance for some peace of mind. Good luck.
Joe G
Old 02-28-10, 01:55 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

I got down there to look around yesterday. I see the four bolts you're referring to, and two of the pushpins, but I'm not able to account for the other two pushpins you referred to. Also, did you actually remove the part, or just pull it down and apply the mesh/wire ties while it was still partially attached?
Old 02-28-10, 04:02 PM
Joe G
Driver

I got down there to look around yesterday. I see the four bolts you're referring to, and two of the pushpins, but I'm not able to account for the other two pushpins you referred to. Also, did you actually remove the part, or just pull it down and apply the mesh/wire ties while it was still partially attached?
GoodRevs our RX is one of the earlier models.
We have 2 pushpins in front of the left tire, and 2 in front of the right.
The plastic will then fall down far enough (you are correct it will still be attached) for you to get your hand above the lower grill and apply the mesh. While keeping your hand on top of mesh, push wire ties through from the front and lock.
Hope this all makes sense.
Joe
Old 03-06-10, 04:19 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I put in the same vinyl mesh Anita did and looks just like yours for similar price. I just used the plastic locking ties vs the twist ones like you have. Just a few bucks bought lots of piece of mind.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 RX Air Dam Update-dscn0991.jpg  
Old 03-06-10, 05:59 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Yeah, I haven't posted a picture of mine yet. I installed it last weekend. Ace Hardware had the vinyl gutter guard. Combined with 20% off, it cost me a whopping $3.03. But mine doesn't look as nice as Jim's. I'll fix it when the weather gets warmer.
Old 03-06-10, 08:07 PM
singrsowr
Driver School Candidate

Hey, we are just thinking about buying a new 2010 RX 350 and I'm a little taken back by this thread! Is lexus planning on doing anything about this? I live in CO and we have lots of rocks out here. I'll ask the dealer/salesperson we are working with if they are aware of this problem and see what they say, I'll post response when I get one.
Old 03-07-10, 08:01 AM
Joe G
Driver

Originally Posted by singrsowr
Hey, we are just thinking about buying a new 2010 RX 350 and I'm a little taken back by this thread! Is lexus planning on doing anything about this? I live in CO and we have lots of rocks out here. I'll ask the dealer/salesperson we are working with if they are aware of this problem and see what they say, I'll post response when I get one.
singrsowr - As freak as this incident was, I think it would need to take out a few hundred more engines before Lexus takes responsibility for the fix.
Remember the 23K repair rested with our Insurance company.
1st "accident"/claim ever- on our insurance record in 25 years.
Again for peace of mind do the modification yourself.
Good luck.
Joe
Old 03-07-10, 02:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

singrsowr, this problem is not unique to the 2010 RX. It was also an issue going back to the 2nd gen RX. Through this site I learned about it and how to fix it. The dealer/salesperson will deny it is a problem. That's why we have been proactive and taken care of it ourselves.
Old 03-07-10, 02:33 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

not only was this a problem on the 2gen RX, I also experienced radiator damange on my toyota Sienna which also doesnt have protection in the lower air dam. This is a toyota design issue but I guess there hasnt been enough damage to alert the people in Japan about this issue.

With that said, I havent done any mods to my cars and the toyot and my RX have only had one incident each regarding radiator damage, which isnt really that much for 6+ year old cars. However, others may not be as lucky.
Old 03-07-10, 03:30 PM
Joe G
Driver

I agree with Anita. From our experience Lexus Corporate does note recognize it as a problem and doubt the dealers even know about it.
I agree with RXSF, not enough damage has occured for Japan to offer a mod.
When spending 50K on a SUV, the potential for damage to occur to the radiator/air conditioner condenser by road debris should be eliminated.
With the RX being such a great seller for Lexus, they should want to improve on the design.
My opinion anyway.
Joe
Old 03-07-10, 05:08 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

It was 55 degrees out today so I went ahead and did the mod, took no more than an hour. Snapped a few pictures of the finished job. I used larger wire ties and applied them more liberally than was probably necessary, but it's definitely secure.

Thanks again for bringing this to light, quite possibly saved at least a few people from a major headache.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX Air Dam Update