RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Snow season! Anyone driving your RX over the snow yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 07:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
This link, http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/featu...ntrol_awd.html , indicates RX can shift the small amount of torque to the rear when it works under its active torque control.

Well, I thought I should feel the some kind of difference when pressing that button and forcing RX to apply all the power to 4 wheels. I guess the way RX is moving under AWD mode (press the button - 50:50) is unlike the way under normal FWD (100:0). I should feel it, right?

Maybe I should try 2 modes under full throttle. Then I will feel something... But I worry my full-throttle will make RX's active torque control turn it into AWD (50:50).
Even without pushing the AWD lock button, the RX AWD system will shift torque to the rear wheel at accelaration. If the AWD button is lock, it will automatically turn off at some low speed anyways.
Old 12-09-09, 03:11 PM
euroja153
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the storm hit Montreal, I would guess we got about 20cm, my RX has Bridgestone Blizzak tires. Straight out of the drive way, I went through about 10cm of snow, that was fine. I turned on the 4 wheel drive lock, that stayed on most of the time as I did not really go faster than 40km/h (which is the speed it turns off at), but I do wish there was a permanent 4wd mode. I also turned the ECT Snow thing on (this needs to be turned on after each time you start the car). I lost traction once while I was turning a corner, a light flashed and there was a beeping sound until the car found traction again 2 seconds later. There was one occasion I slid while braking on a down slope, I guess the car cant perform miracles. I still hate the automatic wipers, they just dont wipe when I want them to. The rear wiper is great now it's positioned under the spoiler, snow can't rest on it. Wiper heaters were good, they seemed to heat up quickly and melt ice while I was brushing snow off the car. I would say the car met my expectations, it definately did not exceed them.

Last edited by euroja153; 12-09-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 04:55 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by euroja153
So the storm hit Montreal, I would guess we got about 20cm, my RX has Bridgestone Blizzak tires. Straight out of the drive way, I went through about 10cm of snow, that was fine. I turned on the 4 wheel drive lock, that stayed on most of the time as I did not really go faster than 40km/h (which is the speed it turns off at), but I do wish there was a permanent 4wd mode. I also turned the ECT Snow thing on (this needs to be turned on after each time you start the car). I lost traction once while I was turning a corner, a light flashed and there was a beeping sound until the car found traction again 2 seconds later. There was one occasion I slid while braking on a down slope, I guess the car cant perform miracles. I still hate the automatic wipers, they just dont wipe when I want them to. The rear wiper is great now it's positioned under the spoiler, snow can't rest on it. Wiper heaters were good, they seemed to heat up quickly and melt ice while I was brushing snow off the car. I would say the car met my expectations, it definately did not exceed them.
Is the wiper heater the standard feature for all Canadian RXs?
Old 12-09-09, 05:09 PM
euroja153
Driver

Is the wiper heater the standard feature for all Canadian RXs?

I think so, it is one of the things we get for the 25% more we pay for the car.

Last edited by euroja153; 12-09-09 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 05:23 PM
jamesonbro
Driver School Candidate

I am picking up a 2010 RX 350 in several days. The dealer wants $3550 for a set of winter rims/tires and installation (with TPMS). I contacted another shop who will do the job (tires and non-Lexus rims but no TPMS) for $1500.

The dealer made it sound like I was taking my life in my hands doing this - and that only a Lexus dealer should use Lexus rims with TPMS activated, otherwise I might die in a car accident..

Questions:

1 - is this reasonable?
2 - if i install tires/rims (non-lexus) without the TPMS, will a light be shining on the dash in my face for 3 months? If so, how to deactivate it?
Thanks very much
Old 12-16-09, 06:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jamesonbro
I am picking up a 2010 RX 350 in several days. The dealer wants $3550 for a set of winter rims/tires and installation (with TPMS). I contacted another shop who will do the job (tires and non-Lexus rims but no TPMS) for $1500.

The dealer made it sound like I was taking my life in my hands doing this - and that only a Lexus dealer should use Lexus rims with TPMS activated, otherwise I might die in a car accident..

Questions:

1 - is this reasonable?
2 - if i install tires/rims (non-lexus) without the TPMS, will a light be shining on the dash in my face for 3 months? If so, how to deactivate it?
Thanks very much
Yes the TPMS light will be lit on your dash and you cannot deactivate the light, but $2000 is a lot of money to turn off a stupid light And you will not be in danger like your dealer said, just check your tire pressure regularly.
Old 12-16-09, 10:30 AM
jamesonbro
Driver School Candidate

Thank you G Man.
The dealer seemed more concerned with "non-Lexus rims" and implied that they may fall apart at high speeds etc...
I figure if the tire-installer sees that they fit properly then it's safe.

Have other people on this thread been installing non-Lexus rims for their snow tires?
Thanks - I'm new to all this. Much appreciated.
Old 12-16-09, 11:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jamesonbro
Thank you G Man.
The dealer seemed more concerned with "non-Lexus rims" and implied that they may fall apart at high speeds etc...
I figure if the tire-installer sees that they fit properly then it's safe.

Have other people on this thread been installing non-Lexus rims for their snow tires?
Thanks - I'm new to all this. Much appreciated.
I replied with your post in the other thread about the TPMS. If you go to the GS forum, almost half of the owners there have after market rims and 99.9% of them dont have any problems.
Old 12-17-09, 04:43 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

We had a rather historic blizzard in our part of IA 8-9 days ago. Our RX450h has been performing terrifically on the snowy and icy streets. It has all season Michelins on it. I see no need for snow tires for this vehicle, but obviously one needs to use common sense when driving on snow or ice.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 12-19-09 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-19-09, 02:14 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

I finally figured out part of what the "Hybrid Snow" mode does -- at speeds of up to 35MPH the electrics power the rear wheels without waiting for slippage. There may some change in the CVT, but I can't tell.

The vehicle handles snow and ice well, and deals with dynamic conditions of rapidly changing surfaces nicely.

My dealer couldn't tell me what the HS mode did, other than 'turn it on when it snows'. thanks. that helps a lot.

I've not sprung for winter tires for my 450h as yet -- I've had various brands on other AWD vehicles and I can say that they really help with stopping on ice. Otherwise the all weather tires seem fine.

My BWM had the Goodyear Triple Tread all seasons and those things were great. They didn't care what was on the road, they just went (and stopped) wonderfully. When the time comes I'll grab a set for the Lexus.
Old 12-19-09, 09:31 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation

What a day!! Snow is everywhere. We got some kind of 5+” snow storm since this evening, and expect to get more after midnight’s severe snow storm. I found out something good/bad about my RX after driving 15 miles home tonight.

IMO:

1. The car was handling pretty well with the light snow conditions (1-3” snow, under 40 mph, Bridgestone tires): With/without LOCK, the RX was running pretty smoothly and easy to handle.

2. The Active Torque Control AWD didn’t work well with the deep snow (4+ inches, under 20 mph, Bridgestone tires): Tires skidded easily. The car was spinning out all the time.

3. LOCK: it was working pretty well. I felt confident to drive under this mode. (But it wasn't working well in the deep snow, either.)

4. The Active Torque Control AWD seemed to work intermittently: It seemed to turn to AWD once after the tires skidded. Then, it turned back to FWD “after a while” (I couldn’t figure out how “long”; but you can feel FWD/AWD at this situation). The car was switching between FWD/AWD all the time.

5. AC front defogger was working great: it blew out all the fogs in the front/side windows; and it even helped to melt snow/ice outsides.

6. The snow bank at the left-side/bottom of the windshield was kind of bothersome: Wipers started to dash against them and created lots of noise. Sometimes I worried if it would make the motors over-heating.

7. The windshield wipers easily turned to ice: Only the selective RX or many of Canadian RXs are having heating de-icer, which seems helpful during this situation.

I miss the full-time AWD now. (Audi and Porsche)

* Did 1G RX and 2G RX use the full-time AWD? Or they're the similar to 3G RX? Thanks.
Old 12-19-09, 09:39 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
I finally figured out part of what the "Hybrid Snow" mode does -- at speeds of up to 35MPH the electrics power the rear wheels without waiting for slippage. There may some change in the CVT, but I can't tell.

The vehicle handles snow and ice well, and deals with dynamic conditions of rapidly changing surfaces nicely.

My dealer couldn't tell me what the HS mode did, other than 'turn it on when it snows'. thanks. that helps a lot.

I've not sprung for winter tires for my 450h as yet -- I've had various brands on other AWD vehicles and I can say that they really help with stopping on ice. Otherwise the all weather tires seem fine.

My BWM had the Goodyear Triple Tread all seasons and those things were great. They didn't care what was on the road, they just went (and stopped) wonderfully. When the time comes I'll grab a set for the Lexus.
I always believe the car makers should provide us the details insides the owner manual. We shouldn't have to figure out or guess by ourselves. The information and explanation for these should be somewhere for us when needed.
Old 12-20-09, 05:35 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

I always believe the car makers should provide us the details insides the owner manual. We shouldn't have to figure out or guess by ourselves. The information and explanation for these should be somewhere for us when needed.
I agree -- I like to know the inner workings, or at least the design goals of a feature.

More snow coming next week. Should be fun.
Old 12-20-09, 10:18 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the performance of the any car will solely depend on the tires the vehicle has. Considering those crappy Dunlops I have I'm not expecting anyting great.
Old 12-20-09, 10:29 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Drove last night in the snow, my RX handled extremely well, no problems in ten inches of new snow, own 2WD by the way !

Quick Reply: Snow season! Anyone driving your RX over the snow yet?