RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Snow season! Anyone driving your RX over the snow yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 06:10 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Snow season! Anyone driving your RX over the snow yet?

Just curious.

After talking the half of year mud flaps, weathertech items, and snow tires, etc, does anyone really drive RX10 over the snow?

How's your RX handling the roads and snow conditions so far? Pro/Con?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-09, 07:51 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The weatherman tonight said that it will definitely snow here in Houston, Texas! Yes the temp will dip tonight. The last snow we had... I don't even remember when. Maybe 5-10 years ago. Its going to be fun.
Old 12-03-09, 08:46 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
The weatherman tonight said that it will definitely snow here in Houston, Texas! Yes the temp will dip tonight. The last snow we had... I don't even remember when. Maybe 5-10 years ago. Its going to be fun.
I thought Houston had the minor snow in the end of 2004... i don't recall the exact time, but I remembered that city and Galveston had some rare snow conditions at that time... Maybe I'm wrong...
Old 12-03-09, 10:50 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lucky...i never see snow. It should be interesting to hear what you ugys have to say since now the RX isnt full time awd
Old 12-04-09, 06:34 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
I thought Houston had the minor snow in the end of 2004... i don't recall the exact time, but I remembered that city and Galveston had some rare snow conditions at that time... Maybe I'm wrong...
2004+5=2009, kind of close? No snow yet but there is a cold drizzle coming steady. The outside temp is 42F and falling. Perhaps tonight.

At 10:50am Friday Dec. 4, 2009 ITS SNOWING IN HOUSTON! Actually in Sugar Land where I live. The snow is sticking to the roof. I am sure it will melt quickly. They better let the kids out of school so they can get messed up by the snow.

Last edited by LeoDLion; 12-04-09 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-04-09, 07:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
lucky...i never see snow. It should be interesting to hear what you ugys have to say since now the RX isnt full time awd
The new RX will be as good in the snow as the last gen, but it should be good enough for light snow.
Old 12-04-09, 08:26 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

We have a 2007 RX350 AWD that we extensively use in Brackenridge, CO and at times leave it up there for the winter season. I would give it an A+ for handling. Granted it is not a 4-wheeler, but we find it very stable in fresh snow, and especially when every so often the VSC kicks in.... we know the car is doing what it is supposed to do... maintain control. Please note, we have not driven the RX under icy conditions, for that we use the mighty LC.
Old 12-04-09, 09:25 AM
euroja153
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my snow tires on, but it has only snowed one day since, handling was fine. I will report back when we get some proper snow. The Canadian models have SNOW ECT (not sure what that does), 4 wheel lock which makes the car 4wd up to about 30km/h, and slip diff OFF.
Old 12-04-09, 11:42 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Just curious.

After talking the half of year mud flaps, weathertech items, and snow tires, etc, does anyone really drive RX10 over the snow?

Thanks.
I will let you know about Tuesday. My wife drives an RX450h and we should have a great idea of how it behaves in the snow. We expect a blizzard in IA this next Tuesday and Tuesday night.
Old 12-04-09, 03:25 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious.

Thanks.
I'll be finding out tomorrow how my RX handles in snow. I'm driving from Ohio to Florida down R-77. In the area of the WV turnpike they are forecasted to have 2 to 4 inches of snow. This is a mountain area that I'm not looking forward to going through under snow conditions.
I'll be letting the forum know how it handled the snow and ice as soon as I can.

Old 12-04-09, 08:27 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
2004+5=2009, kind of close? No snow yet but there is a cold drizzle coming steady. The outside temp is 42F and falling. Perhaps tonight.

At 10:50am Friday Dec. 4, 2009 ITS SNOWING IN HOUSTON! Actually in Sugar Land where I live. The snow is sticking to the roof. I am sure it will melt quickly. They better let the kids out of school so they can get messed up by the snow.
Wow, Sugar Land, it's one of best suburbs to live well...
Old 12-04-09, 08:31 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by euroja153
I have my snow tires on, but it has only snowed one day since, handling was fine. I will report back when we get some proper snow. The Canadian models have SNOW ECT (not sure what that does), 4 wheel lock which makes the car 4wd up to about 30km/h, and slip diff OFF.
Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
I will let you know about Tuesday. My wife drives an RX450h and we should have a great idea of how it behaves in the snow. We expect a blizzard in IA this next Tuesday and Tuesday night.
Originally Posted by 4482
I'll be finding out tomorrow how my RX handles in snow. I'm driving from Ohio to Florida down R-77. In the area of the WV turnpike they are forecasted to have 2 to 4 inches of snow. This is a mountain area that I'm not looking forward to going through under snow conditions.
I'll be letting the forum know how it handled the snow and ice as soon as I can.

Please keep us posted... it'll be interesting how RX350 and RX Hybrid handle the snow.
Old 12-04-09, 08:33 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
We have a 2007 RX350 AWD that we extensively use in Brackenridge, CO and at times leave it up there for the winter season. I would give it an A+ for handling. Granted it is not a 4-wheeler, but we find it very stable in fresh snow, and especially when every so often the VSC kicks in.... we know the car is doing what it is supposed to do... maintain control. Please note, we have not driven the RX under icy conditions, for that we use the mighty LC.
Icy condition is the nightmare scenario. Without the proper tires and setup, I don't know how to control and handle this situation, especially when driving in downhills.
Old 12-05-09, 01:39 PM
SALTY2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by euroja153
I put on my winter tires tomorrow, we still have until Dec 15. The US models also have SNOW ECT, my RX is from US. It makes the engine run in lower RPMs thus makes the car less likely to slip when push the gas pedal. Very good feature for us in the true North

Last edited by SALTY2; 12-05-09 at 07:16 PM. Reason: corecting mis spells
Old 12-05-09, 03:05 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove today in 1+ inch of snow with original tires. No problems at all.

Quick Reply: Snow season! Anyone driving your RX over the snow yet?