RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

May leave the RX ranks

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 09:55 AM
Fitzgerald
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May leave the RX ranks

Well, I have to say that the RX experience is not 100% positive, though it is hard to put a finger on it all. This forum has certainly contributed, or at least the moderator. The RX450h is a great car. I note that whenever I say I own one, my comments that have nothing to do with the technology mean that what I write is automatically moved to the hybrid technology note. (That may happen to this thread, so most people will never see it) Most notably, I presented a comparison between my RX and MB E Class experiences that was immediately moved to the hybrid technology thread and so attracted no interest, since it was not about the technology.

Anyway, it is clear that the Lexus dealer here is not really interested in having me as a customer. (No calls, no follow up, invite to a great event in Montrux, but never asked how I like the car. While indicating that I want to by another car, no follow-up, lack of willingness to get involved in a discussion around MB discounts compared to Lexus discounts.) All this for a car that costs over $90k here. Disappointing.

Persistent follow-up by the local MB and BMW dealers mean that I have just ordered a new MB and need to order another. The E500 seems good, but the station wagon is not available as a 4-wheel drive, so I am not sure. Test-driving one tomorrow morning. $125k here.

Anyway, why should I not buy an E350 4-Matic and dump the rather uncomfortable RX? Come on. Keep me loyal to Lexus. I am Swiss, so I have no national loyalty to any brand.
Old 12-04-09, 01:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I am not sure why your comments were moved to the technology forum. I often find myself as a moderator moving comments in the RX hybrid forums back to the general RX forums.

Others should keep in mind, that at least in the United States, we pay some of the lowest rates in the world to obtain our Lexus RX series, including some of the most attractive financing in the world. I certainly saw different (even though no Lexus in Mexico) the case when I lived in Mexico that people paid much more for Toyota or any other vehicle than they would in the U.S. That is certainly Fitzgerald's experience paying over $90K in Switzerland for his RX. So for those U.S. forum members who like to gripe about experiences, I hear you, but keep in mind those in the rest of the world who pay more and gripe about not just similar problems you face but others. They are feeling much more pain.

Again, Lexus should be on the ball here in Switzerland if they want to continue to make inroads into Europe, despite having MB neighboring in Germany.

I should mention however that my family's experience with Mercedes was not a good one. We had two Mercedes 190Es, both 2.6 liter versions, an 87 and a 93, and they were nothing but hell and finally we did away with both this year, one being a cash for clunker turn in. Parts were expensive, even if repairs were done by extremely competent non-dealer mechanics, but the sheer arrogance of the dealers and service departments made no friends with us.

Again, your comments are highly respected, and I'll make sure no one moves any posts, especially this one, as it's right on point. As I may have mentioned in this forum, I have a particular place in my heart for Switzerland, given I spent many summers there as a child, particularly in the city of Lenk, but know many other Swiss cities firsthand.
Old 12-04-09, 11:58 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Others should keep in mind, that at least in the United States, we pay some of the lowest rates in the world to obtain our Lexus RX series, including some of the most attractive financing in the world. I certainly saw different (even though no Lexus in Mexico) the case when I lived in Mexico that people paid much more for Toyota or any other vehicle than they would in the U.S. That is certainly Fitzgerald's experience paying over $90K in Switzerland for his RX. So for those U.S. forum members who like to gripe about experiences, I hear you, but keep in mind those in the rest of the world who pay more and gripe about not just similar problems you face but others. They are feeling much more pain.
There is one reason an RX doesn't cost $90,000 in the US, and that reason is they would not sale. Lexus dealerships would be closing overnight. In it's present form Lexus has topped out the price on the RX here in the US.
Old 12-06-09, 12:51 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion... do what you need do. It isn't the job of this forum and its participants to try to convince you to keep the car. You either want to keep it because it meets your needs and expectations or you don't.

A big part of luxury car ownership is the post sales experience. If you aren't getting the level of service you expect and can buy a comparable, reliable car that has attributes to it you value, buy it. Regardless, I would call the country/regional manager for Lexus to complain about the dealer in addition to calling Lexus Consumer Affairs. Never know, may make a difference.

I'm sure though the reason why the guys at BMW and MB are calling is because they want your business.
Old 12-06-09, 02:05 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by tazdevl
My opinion... do what you need do. It isn't the job of this forum and its participants to try to convince you to keep the car. You either want to keep it because it meets your needs and expectations or you don't.

A big part of luxury car ownership is the post sales experience. If you aren't getting the level of service you expect and can buy a comparable, reliable car that has attributes to it you value, buy it. Regardless, I would call the country/regional manager for Lexus to complain about the dealer in addition to calling Lexus Consumer Affairs. Never know, may make a difference.

I'm sure though the reason why the guys at BMW and MB are calling is because they want your business.
Well said.
Old 12-06-09, 02:51 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The service from a dealership after I bought a car is the least of factors I would consider whether to keep the car or not or whether to keep on buy the same brand. In fact, in two of the last cars I bought I hardly ever go to the dealer for service at all. Why? I know of shops that can do a better job. I also do most of the maintenance myself. I like to work my hands on my cars and take pride in doing a good job at it.

What keeps me to keep a car and keep on buying the same brand is the car itself. This translates to the car's performance, dependability, mantainability, etc. Nothing to do on whether the dealership is treating me the wrong way or not.

My 2010 RX350 is my first Lexus. So it remains to be seen if this car performs well. I have had BMWs, cadillac, etc. and nothing yet is outstanding. My MX-5 is more fun than any of those. We'll see.
Old 12-06-09, 03:04 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
The service from a dealership after I bought a car is the least of factors I would consider whether to keep the car or not or whether to keep on buy the same brand. In fact, in two of the last cars I bought I hardly ever go to the dealer for service at all. Why? I know of shops that can do a better job. I also do most of the maintenance myself. I like to work my hands on my cars and take pride in doing a good job at it.

What keeps me to keep a car and keep on buying the same brand is the car itself. This translates to the car's performance, dependability, mantainability, etc. Nothing to do on whether the dealership is treating me the wrong way or not.

My 2010 RX350 is my first Lexus. So it remains to be seen if this car performs well. I have had BMWs, cadillac, etc. and nothing yet is outstanding. My MX-5 is more fun than any of those. We'll see.
Like you I too do my own service, but our local dealership's level of service plays a big factor in my decision to buy the RX. I have found out the hard way in the event of a problem a car's warranty is only as good as your dealership. Our local dealership is excellent.
Old 12-06-09, 03:12 PM
hensta
Driver School Candidate

I agree with the Leo. The car itself is what determines whether I value the brand/model more than any other factor. The original poster dedicates two paragraphs that make his experience "not 100% positive", specifically dealer follow up and this forum. While those two factors are not at the top of my list for determining the worth & value of a car, these are the two mentioned. No specifics are outlined about the car itself.

I have a '99 RX 300. THe Rx 300, along with my '95 Integra GSR are the two most valued car purchases I have made. The GSR bought in '95 for $18k sold in '01 for $12k and was a gem of a car. I still have the '99 RX 300 and only had to replace the MAF sensor and battery.

For many people, the car speaks for itself and the dealership is far down the list in terms of ownership exerience. This is especially true if you can do your own minor repairs or use an outside dependable mechanic who charges far less than the dealer for routine mainenance/repairs.

Last edited by hensta; 12-06-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-06-09, 03:55 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Based on my own experience, I have to agree with the OP. Most luxury car buyers will never open their hood and rely on the dealer for routine maintenance. When it comes to needing warranty work, the dealer is the only game in town. If an owner experiences a persistent problem, the dealer should represent the owner to the manufacturer as an advocate. The dealer is the manufacturer's customer, not the car's owner. With the dealer's backing, an owner has a much better chance of a successful conclusion to a problem then without the dealer's support. My Lexus dealer has fulfilled that role for me very well.

On the other side of the coin, I had 2 Jaguars and only one local dealer that was uninterested in solving problems and acted in an adversarial way when representing my problems to the manufacturer. That's why I will never own another Jaguar and will always consider another Lexus.
Old 12-06-09, 04:08 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchase Lexus products because I enjoy the cars and all their amenities! If I don't like the dealer, I don't go back ! Just like a resturant, one bad meal or bad service, I'm gone. Most Lexus dealers that I've experienced over the past 16 years have been superb, the two bad apples I had trouble with, I wrote off, but not their products.
Old 12-08-09, 06:02 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Of the three luxury brands I've owned, MB, BMW, and Lexus, MB is by far the most expensive to drive and needful of repairs. Despite all of the advanced technology, they go out of tune on a regular basis. And out of warranty repairs are insanely expensive. I've owned an S class, two MLs, and an SLK. The S class racked up $40K USD repair bills in 2 years. I'm not kidding. The moment that warranty was up I had it hauled out.

I'm new to Lexus, so we'll see. So far I'm impressed.

I don't blame you for being aggravated by the dealer. For cars in this class his role goes beyond just selling you the car, and he is falling short. He deserves to lose your business.
Old 12-08-09, 01:03 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus

It depends on the dealer. My Miami Florida dealer never called. The one here in California calls all the time. Letters every couple of weeks. Invites to Taste of Lexus, invitations to drive the new HS when it came in. To the point it's like a telemarketer is calling.

The only problem I have with the dealer is the cost of scheduled maintenace. A 300 dollar oil change is 80 dollars at my local Toyota dealer.

I appreciate the car wash, free drinks, leather couch and big screen TV. But I will take the regular chair. And buy a Pepsi out of the machine. And keep the 220 dollars.

Everything else about Lexus is great. Love the warranty service. Loaner car. Love the RX series. I doubt I will buy another kind of car. Everyone I know with BMW, Audi, Mercedes and the one girl with the Porsche. Have horror stories.

So far I have converted two guys. All it took was let them borrow my car. Once.
Old 12-08-09, 01:26 PM
brycejaq
Driver

Default A $300 oil change?!

Originally Posted by KeysRx300

The only problem I have with the dealer is the cost of scheduled maintenace. A 300 dollar oil change is 80 dollars at my local Toyota dealer.

I appreciate the car wash, free drinks, leather couch and big screen TV. But I will take the regular chair. And buy a Pepsi out of the machine. And keep the 220 dollars.
Maybe the economy is much better in Miami, but here in Omaha the most I've ever paid for an oil change (which usually includes some kind of typical mileage-specific maintainance) has still kept me under a hundred (even after all those lovely fees and taxes).
Old 12-09-09, 08:12 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitzgerald
Well, I have to say that the RX experience is not 100% positive, though it is hard to put a finger on it all. This forum has certainly contributed, or at least the moderator. The RX450h is a great car. I note that whenever I say I own one, my comments that have nothing to do with the technology mean that what I write is automatically moved to the hybrid technology note. (That may happen to this thread, so most people will never see it) Most notably, I presented a comparison between my RX and MB E Class experiences that was immediately moved to the hybrid technology thread and so attracted no interest, since it was not about the technology.

Anyway, it is clear that the Lexus dealer here is not really interested in having me as a customer. (No calls, no follow up, invite to a great event in Montrux, but never asked how I like the car. While indicating that I want to by another car, no follow-up, lack of willingness to get involved in a discussion around MB discounts compared to Lexus discounts.) All this for a car that costs over $90k here. Disappointing.

Persistent follow-up by the local MB and BMW dealers mean that I have just ordered a new MB and need to order another. The E500 seems good, but the station wagon is not available as a 4-wheel drive, so I am not sure. Test-driving one tomorrow morning. $125k here.

Anyway, why should I not buy an E350 4-Matic and dump the rather uncomfortable RX? Come on. Keep me loyal to Lexus. I am Swiss, so I have no national loyalty to any brand.
As far as I am concerned, one of the biggest advantage of buying a Lexus is the buying experience and the customer service. It sounds to me like yout Lexus dealer dont really offer that. That would mean you are not getting the full Lexus experience and any Lexus that you buy will be over price. I would go with the MB E-class, its a nice car and full of technology as well.
Old 12-10-09, 08:46 AM
Blackberry
Driver School Candidate

I have recently switched from an RX to A BMW because of the lack of interest from various dealers to compete for my business. I was ready to get into a new RX, but the lack of respect shown from my primary dealer, and the willingness of the BMW dealer to go the extra mile to make me happy, sealed the deal.

Quick Reply: May leave the RX ranks