RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Michelin tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 01:39 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends which type of Michelins. They range from $153-$239 per tire, those Yokohamas cost only $168 per tire.
Old 12-16-09, 07:14 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deusex
Depends which type of Michelins. They range from $153-$239 per tire, those Yokohamas cost only $168 per tire.
Latitue HP V in 19s are on sale for 129 each. Skeptical of the Yokohamas. Not many comments about winter performance.
Old 12-16-09, 07:46 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Latitue HP V in 19s are on sale for 129 each. Skeptical of the Yokohamas. Not many comments about winter performance.
Does $129 including mounting/balancing & TPMS calibration? If so, that's a pretty good price.

I found the Goodyears that came on my RX300 were a better buy from my dealer than from local places like NTB. Has anybody priced the Michelin Latitude with their Lexus store yet?
Old 12-16-09, 11:52 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Does $129 including mounting/balancing & TPMS calibration? If so, that's a pretty good price.

I found the Goodyears that came on my RX300 were a better buy from my dealer than from local places like NTB. Has anybody priced the Michelin Latitude with their Lexus store yet?
No. They just raised the price up to $153. It was online. TPMS calibration isn't necessary if you aren't changing wheels and are using the same size tires.

My guess is that Lexus is charging out the hoo-hah for OE tires.
Old 12-17-09, 05:33 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

No. They just raised the price up to $153. It was online. TPMS calibration isn't necessary if you aren't changing wheels and are using the same size tires.

My guess is that Lexus is charging out the hoo-hah for OE tires.
Well I like the Latitude enough to stay with it. And with a tread wear rating of 440 they just might last a while. The other day in the showroom I saw a rating of 200 something on the tires on a 250h. They are going to wear out fast. I don't remember the brand.
Old 01-09-10, 01:46 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Well I like the Latitude enough to stay with it. And with a tread wear rating of 440 they just might last a while. The other day in the showroom I saw a rating of 200 something on the tires on a 250h. They are going to wear out fast. I don't remember the brand.
Just got the Michelin Latitudes put on and all I can say is what a world of difference vs the Bridgestones. My RX rides great and is so much quieter on both city streets and highway speeds.

After driving identical 2010 RXs over the holidays... AWD, J built, same options/accessories, 19" wheels, etc... only difference is color, it is a complete mystery why Lexus didn't put Michelins on every vehicle. II will say I think the Dunlops (mother's RX) do ride better than the Bridgestones (my RX) but the Michelins are superior to both.

Last edited by tazdevl; 01-09-10 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 06:44 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

dentate comments that 450h get michelins. I just received a 2010 450h, Japan built, and it has Dunlops. Previously had 'o8 400h and it's tires were Goodyear. I wanted the Michelins, but the only way it will ever happen is when I buy them myself.
Old 02-03-10, 08:38 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Just got the Michelin Latitudes put on and all I can say is what a world of difference vs the Bridgestones. My RX rides great and is so much quieter on both city streets and highway speeds.
Ditto on that. The Michelins are quieter, plus I feel they handle MUCH better in the snow.
Old 02-03-10, 11:43 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

I have the Dunlops but would have liked the Michelins. So far so good but I haven't taken it too far from home or through a true snowstorm yet. I could have switched to the Bridgestones but didn't because of their ratings. Why bother. I can only hope more choices become available when the tires go. Based on previous experience, it won't be long. I have not gotten more than 15-16K on either one of my previous RXs with OEM tires
Old 02-03-10, 02:14 PM
rftuck
Rookie

Default Tires on RX350

I have always had Michelin tires on all my cars in the past and still have them on our Carrera and Bosxter S. When we purchased the new RX350, they had the Dunlops, and I was concerned, but after 4000 miles they are great. Very quiet and handling seems fine. i would not pay any $ to change them, but when they wear out and I still have the RX, on goes the Michelins.
Old 02-03-10, 09:35 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires

ziggy 1--Yes I stand by what i said, the hybrids get Michelins in Canada. There are only 2 brands of tires for Canadian destined RX's --Dunlops and Michelins. All Japanese sourced Rx's get Dunlops except the hybrid (michelin) and all Cambridge Ontario ones get Michelins. Having spend the Christmas holidays in West Palm Beach, and having stopped by the local Lexus dealer there, I know US destined RX's get a mix of Bridgetones and Michelins from Canada and Dunlop, Bridgestone and Michelin (?) from Japan. I am also aware from having spoken to the dealer that unlike the wusses up here, US dealers have no issues with swapping tires to please the customer--which is why Canadian sourced RX's sometimes have Dunlops on them down there--to the best of my knowledge (and i do know some folks that work in that plant) Canadian sourced RX's do not come with Dunlop tires. There are also fundamental differences in what Canadians can order --for example - parking sensors are only available on the top of the line called Ultra Premium here and are not offered as a stand alone option for any other level.-nor are we offered any other stand alone option-which pisses me off!!
Old 02-03-10, 10:07 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

I have 19" Bridgestone on my hybrid, didn't like it that much, too much road noise. I will change it to Michelins once these are done.
Old 02-04-10, 07:19 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Japan built RX came with Bridgestone tires on it and I made the dealer change them. I refuse to pay that kind of money for a car and not have decent tires. I have owned Michelins for years and they have been an excellent tire. Michelins are the way to go.
Old 02-04-10, 09:10 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dentate
ziggy 1--Yes I stand by what i said, the hybrids get Michelins in Canada. There are only 2 brands of tires for Canadian destined RX's --Dunlops and Michelins. All Japanese sourced Rx's get Dunlops except the hybrid (michelin) and all Cambridge Ontario ones get Michelins. Having spend the Christmas holidays in West Palm Beach, and having stopped by the local Lexus dealer there, I know US destined RX's get a mix of Bridgetones and Michelins from Canada and Dunlop, Bridgestone and Michelin (?) from Japan. I am also aware from having spoken to the dealer that unlike the wusses up here, US dealers have no issues with swapping tires to please the customer--which is why Canadian sourced RX's sometimes have Dunlops on them down there--to the best of my knowledge (and i do know some folks that work in that plant) Canadian sourced RX's do not come with Dunlop tires. There are also fundamental differences in what Canadians can order --for example - parking sensors are only available on the top of the line called Ultra Premium here and are not offered as a stand alone option for any other level.-nor are we offered any other stand alone option-which pisses me off!!
My 2010 RX made in Cambridge last April came with Bridgestones.
Old 02-04-10, 10:12 PM
dentate
Driver

Default Tires

I know that Cambridge vehicles produced for the US market can be equipped with something other than Michelins...However, I have only ever seen Michelins on vehicles destined for the Canadian market and sourced from Cambridge as observed from all the vehicles that I have seen at the 3 largest Cdn dealers in Toronto.