RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Black Saphire

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 04:36 PM
jwalker678
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Saphire

considering this color but have not seen in person. Would appreciate comments from anyone who has Black Saphire. And for interrior thinking light gray. I normally would go with black but my understanding with the gray or tan you get a two tone which sounds interesting.
Old 12-18-09, 04:42 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mom has Black Sapphire with Black Interior. The black sapphire is cool because it looks dark blue or black, depending on the lighting, hides most dirty spots. Looks to stay clean for the most part. The black interior is nice because it doesn't really show dirty spots and won't really fade with certain colors of clothing. The lighter colors of leather may show like, blue from jeans, etc.
Old 12-18-09, 04:46 PM
jwalker678
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, that was helpful. I am concerned about the wear of light colored interrior.
Old 12-19-09, 11:17 AM
Orbit
Rookie

I have black sapphire pearl. Have had it for a week. Deep, deep dark blue, and on first glance in not-perfect light you'd call it black. It's gorgeous to me. You might call it indigo.

I also have black interior. Like it, but it seems to swallow light. Drop something on the floor, and you need a flashlight to find it.

I think the interior will be more forgiving in terms of showing dirt. Exterior: We're having a snowstorm in Washington right now, and I have a feeling when I get to driving around and getting splashed in salty meltwater it will really show.
Old 12-19-09, 01:16 PM
srm47
Driver School Candidate

I've had 2 RX's with tan leather and matching floor mats. The light colored mats are always dirty. Next time its a dark color for me.

The other day I looked at a new Venza with tan leather and it had dark brown mats. Makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-19-09, 01:49 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned a lot of black cars, 3 at present, one of which is an S-Class I have owned for over 15 years. I have found a dark color Toyota vehicle is not forgiving when it comes to swirl marks. My daily driver is a black 06 LS Ultra. I have a wash pit, do a two bucket car wash, and use quality wash products yet I cannot keep swirl marks from forming on my car. Bugs stain the dark paint which causes me to have to claying the car once a month.
The dark colors are the most handsome but the Toyota paint is too soft for me to consider owning another dark color Lexus until the improved paint finish they are talking about featuring next year on the LS is proven.
I think the dark blue RX with tan trim is very handsome and my favorite, but not for me until improvements are made in the paint finish.
Old 12-19-09, 02:51 PM
jwalker678
Driver School Candidate

Hi orbit, I just spoke to my son in Arlington and he says you are really getting hit hard. He has a flight home on Monday out of Dulles. Hope it is clear by then. I own a black/black supra and just sold a black/black GT-R and know what DNC means about the swirls. Thought about going with a light color but, and I know this will sound lame, but I figure the dark color is less of a girl color. I do think the tan would look good but concerned about how it will look in a year. With the light interrior is the carpet the same color or is it black?
Old 12-20-09, 04:38 AM
Tex Lex
Rookie

I have Black Sapphire and light gray interior.. I was also worried about the light leather getting ruined quicker, but I personally think the combo looks the best. Plus I really didn't like the lighter wood color and the espresso wood is only available with light gray.. Had the vehicle since Sept and no signs of ware just yet..

And yes the light int's are two tone. Looks great!

http://s972.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow

--Nate
Old 12-20-09, 05:08 AM
jwalker678
Driver School Candidate

That is the best photo presentation I have seen and I agree the combo looks fantastic.
Old 12-20-09, 06:26 PM
data2009
Pole Position

This color is absolutely the best. Like others said, in the sun, its indigo blue, otherwise, its almost black. However, the paint is absolutely the worst I've had. Just in the first months I had hairline scratches that were caused, it seems, by the wind and road grime. I can only imagine what the hood of the car is going to look like by the end of this winter...
Old 12-20-09, 07:36 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by data2009
This color is absolutely the best. Like others said, in the sun, its indigo blue, otherwise, its almost black. However, the paint is absolutely the worst I've had. Just in the first months I had hairline scratches that were caused, it seems, by the wind and road grime. I can only imagine what the hood of the car is going to look like by the end of this winter...
In a perfect world Black Saphire with tan trim would be my choice for the RX, but I am not willing to face another dark Lexus finish until their paint is greatly improved. I finally view Lexus as a world class car, but they still have a very long way to go to have an "acceptable" grade paint job. The quality of the paint on my LS Ultra is the same as that found on an entry level Toyota.
Old 12-21-09, 08:24 AM
jwalker678
Driver School Candidate

The paint on my 97 black LS 400 was horrible. The paint on my black 94 supra still looks great but that might have something to do with all the polish applied over the years.
Old 01-01-10, 01:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

here is a pic of my black saphire pearl 3GS
Attached Thumbnails Black Saphire-img_0014.jpg   Black Saphire-img_0042.jpg   Black Saphire-img_0080.jpg   Black Saphire-img_0002.jpg   Black Saphire-img_0036.jpg  

Old 01-01-10, 02:27 PM
jwalker678
Driver School Candidate

Gorgeous, I get mine tomorrow. Oh boy can hardly wait!
Old 01-01-10, 02:31 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd get the black/lt gray !! A lot cooler getting into during the hot months, those black seats get too hot to sit on !!

Quick Reply: Black Saphire