RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 05:27 PM
nicpalumbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires

Excuse my ignorance, but do I need winter tires? I thought the all season tires were all you need now.
Old 01-08-10, 05:45 PM
oscqc
Rookie

They are now called "Winter tires" and not "snow tires" because the rubber is different than all-season tires and lets you stop in shorter distances. All season tires do not flex very well at temperatures below 7 degrees Celcius (about 40F), I strongly recommend them if you will be driving in cold weather, even if you are not facing much snow.
Old 01-08-10, 06:05 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting reading...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...mparison_tests

I've run winter tires on my vehicles for probably the last 10 years. Will never not have a second set of wheels with winter tires after experiencing the difference.

Currently have Michelin Pilot Alpins on 17" Lexus wheels on my 400h. Stepped down from 235/55/18 to 225/65/17 for the winters.
Old 01-08-10, 06:55 PM
nicpalumbo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info oscqc & rcy. Another question. I live in Manhattan and have no place to store a second set of tires. Can you use winter tires year round?
Old 01-08-10, 07:03 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nicpalumbo
Thanks for the info oscqc & rcy. Another question. I live in Manhattan and have no place to store a second set of tires. Can you use winter tires year round?
What you're probably looking for then is what is now called an 'all weather' tire. These new beasts are not quite a dedicated winter tire, but are much better than a traditional all season tire in the winter.

There may be more, but four spring to mind..

Nokian WGR2, Good Year TripleTred (or Fortera TripleTred - for SUVs), Yokohama W Drive. and Continental ExtremeContact DWS. These tires meet the requirements to get the 'mountain/snowflake' symbol but can be left on all year.
Old 01-08-10, 07:57 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Nicpalumbo:

Because the winter tires are made of softer rubber than other tires, they will wear rather quickly if used in hot weather, so I recommend removing them in the spring.

The dealer may try to sell you rather expensive rims to mount the second set on, but they are no longer necessary. In "ye olden days", something that looked like a crowbar was used to remove the tire from the rim and this easily damaged the tire wall. Now decent tire dealers use a rather expensive machine and not the crowbar to remove the tire from the rim and no damage results, which makes the second set of rims unnecessary, although they are nice to have. My tire dealer in Canada charges me $80 twice a year to mount and balance the 4 tires. Some dealerships and some tire dealers will store the "off season" tires for you for a fee, so ask around where you live.

I do not want to get into an argument with RCY about his post, but I disagree completely with him or her. I think that winter tires are a matter of safety. Perhaps it is because I live in Canada, and we invented cold weather and snow.

Best wishes.
Old 01-08-10, 08:25 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent lots of time in Manhattan too. Unless the necessary travel or out-of-town trip, the car is staying in the garage for good. Yellow cabs and subway are so convenient here. To me, I'll put on winter tires if frequently going upper state/PA/NE or NYC suffers the weekly snow in the winter. In Nov/Dec, I had visited Boston 3 times and met with 2 big snow. Our RX and tires worked ok. I do drive a lot in summer, too. My garage won't save tires for me and it's quite stupid to save them into my cramp storage area, therefore, the all-season tires are good enough for me unless I want to spend $ to rent another space. NYC has the winter and snow, but it's really rare to need the winter tires. I'm lazy.
Old 01-08-10, 11:09 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oscqc
Nicpalumbo:

Because the winter tires are made of softer rubber than other tires, they will wear rather quickly if used in hot weather, so I recommend removing them in the spring.

The dealer may try to sell you rather expensive rims to mount the second set on, but they are no longer necessary. In "ye olden days", something that looked like a crowbar was used to remove the tire from the rim and this easily damaged the tire wall. Now decent tire dealers use a rather expensive machine and not the crowbar to remove the tire from the rim and no damage results, which makes the second set of rims unnecessary, although they are nice to have. My tire dealer in Canada charges me $80 twice a year to mount and balance the 4 tires. Some dealerships and some tire dealers will store the "off season" tires for you for a fee, so ask around where you live.

I do not want to get into an argument with RCY about his post, but I disagree completely with him or her. I think that winter tires are a matter of safety. Perhaps it is because I live in Canada, and we invented cold weather and snow.

Best wishes.
I'm wondering if you even read my post.

I run winter tires on my vehicle with a second set of rims, and have been doing so for about the past 10 years and four different vehicles, so you don't need to preach to me the virtues of winter tires.

The original poster advised that he has nowhere to store a second set of rims. That being the case, the the new 'all weather' tires may be just the ticket for him. Again, these are the newer so called 'all weather' as opposed to 'all season'.

Do a little research. These all weather tires, like the four I've listed, CAN be left on all year without worrying about a softer winter compound wearing in the hot weather. I'm not making this up - the tire manufacturer states this. However, they give more traction than an all season tire in winter conditions, passing whatever requirement is needed to gain the mountain/snowflake certification, something a traditional all season tire does not have.

Don't ask me how they've done it, but the rubber stays flexible in cold temperatures, but doesn't wear out at the slightest sign of warm weather.

Nowhere in my post did I suggest the OP leave winter rubber on all year.

BTW, I live in Ontario, so I may know a thing or two about winter driving as well.

Last edited by rcy; 01-09-10 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 10:48 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Default Tires

RCY:

I never suggested in my previous post that you said anything about leaving winter tires on the vehicle in the summer. However, if you had bothered to read the second post from the person who made the original inquiry before you flamed me, you would have seen that this was a question that the person asked specifically. My earlier message was not even addressed to you.

I consider this forum a place for advice and honest opinion, not a place for sarcasm and attempted put-downs.
Old 01-10-10, 08:59 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Maybe you should research 'sarcasm', 'attempt' and 'put downs' and perhaps also 'flaming' when you're researching 'all weather' tires, because I don't see any of that in my previous post. I also encourage you to look up all of my posts on this forum and point out any sarcasm etc. that you see in them.

The fact remains that the all weather tire meets the requirements to have the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall, the same requirement a dedicated winter has to meet.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=125

As I pointed out in my second post, they are not as good as a winter tire, but much better than an all season. Also, they may assist the original poster who has no where to store a second set of rims.

Last edited by rcy; 01-10-10 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-10-10, 10:37 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rcy
As I pointed out in my second post, they are not as good as a winter tire, but much better than an all season. Also, they may assist the original poster who has no where to store a second set of rims.
my lexus dealer offers storing service for season tyres...don't your dealers offer this?
Old 01-10-10, 11:18 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Audriuss
my lexus dealer offers storing service for season tyres...don't your dealers offer this?

I've never looked into this, as I can store my rims in my garage. It's the original poster that doesn't have anywhere to store a second set of wheels.

However, it's possible that Lexus dealers here in Canada and the U.S. might offer this service - I've never looked into it. As oscqc pointed out, there are also many tire retailers that will store wheels for a fee.
Old 01-10-10, 11:23 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rcy
I've never looked into this, as I can store my rims in my garage. It's the original poster that doesn't have anywhere to store a second set of wheels.

However, it's possible that Lexus dealers here in Canada and the U.S. might offer this service - I've never looked into it. As oscqc pointed out, there are also many tire retailers that will store wheels for a fee.
Yeah, I had in mind original poster, just last post was easier to quote