RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Interior Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 11:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like Lexus has the GM-like first year problems.Nothing new forToyota as the '07 Camry V6/ES 350 had some issues also.
Old 01-11-10, 12:44 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Looks like Lexus has the GM-like first year problems.Nothing new forToyota as the '07 Camry V6/ES 350 had some issues also.
As with the GS350's rattling problems in the first 3 years of production. The ES350 and the IS also had their share of rattles and creaks. Lexus really need to take a step back and re-think how they fasten their panels and parts together.
Old 01-13-10, 11:32 AM
yozh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some dash creaks, whats strange about my is that I hear them more when its cold like below or close to 32 degrees and when I make turns (cants confirm 100% yet), that's when I hear them most, I dont know if you can call it a creak or a rattle its like a strange noise, almost like plastic is rubbing against something, I dont want to go to a dealer with this as its a low noise and doesnt happen all the time.

I used to hear a noise from back seat on drivers side, but it stopped lately, didnt do much just moved the seat and adjusted the seat belt, I`m almost thinking it wasn't coming from that backseat

Anyone else with the dash issue ?
Old 01-13-10, 11:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yozh
I had some dash creaks, whats strange about my is that I hear them more when its cold like below or close to 32 degrees and when I make turns (cants confirm 100% yet), that's when I hear them most, I dont know if you can call it a creak or a rattle its like a strange noise, almost like plastic is rubbing against something, I dont want to go to a dealer with this as its a low noise and doesnt happen all the time.

I used to hear a noise from back seat on drivers side, but it stopped lately, didnt do much just moved the seat and adjusted the seat belt, I`m almost thinking it wasn't coming from that backseat

Anyone else with the dash issue ?
This could be due to the same known problem as the rattle in the GS line, is it cause by the dashboard pin fasteners, it sound like Styrofoam rubbing against each other. It is most apparent when it’s cold out and when you make a turn and the chassis twist. I would think Lexus have made a change to those pins in the new RX.

Last edited by The G Man; 01-13-10 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-13-10, 12:09 PM
yozh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
This could be due to the same known problem as the rattle in the GS line, is it cause by the dashboard pin fasteners, it sound like Styrofoam rubbing against each other. It is most apparent when it’s cold out and when you make a turn and the chassis twist. I would think Lexus have made a change to those pins in the new RX.
Any fix for that ? Or is this something I have to deal with ? I`m assuming this is under the dashboard ? Now that you mention Styrofoam I think it does sound like it.....

Last edited by yozh; 01-13-10 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-14-10, 08:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Any fix for that ? Or is this something I have to deal with ? I`m assuming this is under the dashboard ? Now that you mention Styrofoam I think it does sound like it.....
There is a TSB out for the GS models, but I am sure there isnt one for the 2010 RX. You have to somehow re-produce that noise for the dealer and show them the TSB for the GS. Even then, I am not sure if they can perform the same TSB on the RX since the dash boards are different. On the GS, the whole dashboard have to be taken out, the fasteners that attach the dash to the chassis is padded with felt tape and a number of parts in the dash is also tape with foam material to elimate the noise. Its a big and expensive job, 2 to 3 days worth of labor.
A good way to find out if the dash pins are the problem is to stuff something soft between the dash and the windshield. Some GS owners have stuff sweat socks or pipe insulation in between there and the noise went away. This is not a permenent fix but more of a troubleshooting tool.

Good Luck
Old 01-14-10, 08:48 AM
yozh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
There is a TSB out for the GS models, but I am sure there isnt one for the 2010 RX. You have to somehow re-produce that noise for the dealer and show them the TSB for the GS. Even then, I am not sure if they can perform the same TSB on the RX since the dash boards are different. On the GS, the whole dashboard have to be taken out, the fasteners that attach the dash to the chassis is padded with felt tape and a number of parts in the dash is also tape with foam material to elimate the noise. Its a big and expensive job, 2 to 3 days worth of labor.
A good way to find out if the dash pins are the problem is to stuff something soft between the dash and the windshield. Some GS owners have stuff sweat socks or pipe insulation in between there and the noise went away. This is not a permenent fix but more of a troubleshooting tool.

Good Luck
Ok well I will try the socks thing... hopefully it`ll warm up and i wont hear it as much....
Old 01-14-10, 11:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Ok well I will try the socks thing... hopefully it`ll warm up and i wont hear it as much....
yes, if its the dashboard pin problem, in another 3 or 4 months, the rattle should be less or totally disappear.
Old 04-12-10, 03:22 PM
euroja153
Driver

I know this is an old thread, but today I had my 6 month/8,000km service done and I asked they look into the dash squeak. I went for a quick ride around the block with the man who picked up the car, I heard it. The dealer said they did not hear anything, but did a few things that may help. As soon as i drove out of the dealership I heard it again. Has anyone got a fix for this yet? Hope we get a TSB for this.
Old 04-13-10, 06:43 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

started getting a rattle in my dash past several weeks

pressing various points on the dash does not alter noise

going to record noise w/ camcorder for my next dealer trip
Old 09-02-11, 04:12 PM
goodride
Driver School Candidate

Default Cargo and Dash rattles

I had the same rattles with my 2010 RX350, cargo and dash. After four trips and many fixes, insulating the emergency break cable took care of the last cargo rattle. Then about 3 weeks ago the dash started rattling. I return it for the second time after beliving I had diagnosised it myself as the glove box latch. They retuned it today and a glove box assembly has been ordered. The dealership has always been willing to help resolve my problems. I hope this helps others with similar problems.