RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Static in speakers from Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 10:36 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static in speakers from Satellite Radio

Does anyone get any kind of static, very quick, sometimes jumps from speaker to speaker. I was told it was my phone. I had a previous 2010, same phone, no static.
It not all the time. Just occasionaly. Called XM, not them they said.
Hard to go to the dealer if this static won't cooperate with me.
Old 01-11-10, 06:15 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I occassionally have this issue when driving in the city. I thought it's normal due to the loss of the XM signals or conflicts among all the waves and frequency insides/around the car.

I couldn't explain why I have fewer problems when out of town.
Old 01-12-10, 02:38 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Luvmy350
Does anyone get any kind of static, very quick, sometimes jumps from speaker to speaker. I was told it was my phone. I had a previous 2010, same phone, no static.
It not all the time. Just occasionaly. Called XM, not them they said.
Hard to go to the dealer if this static won't cooperate with me.
Since you had a previous 2010 without the problem it's hard to explain but it sounds like 'normal' satellite reception around tall buildings or trees. Of course if it does the same thing on AM/FM stations than you can't blame it on the satellite reception. Just know that satellite is strictly line of sight. Anything including strong storms with thick cells can affect the signal or reception. Most of the satellites are fairly low to your S/E.
Old 01-12-10, 04:59 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Since you had a previous 2010 without the problem it's hard to explain but it sounds like 'normal' satellite reception around tall buildings or trees. Of course if it does the same thing on AM/FM stations than you can't blame it on the satellite reception. Just know that satellite is strictly line of sight. Anything including strong storms with thick cells can affect the signal or reception. Most of the satellites are fairly low to your S/E.
I have had XM and Serius, in 4 cars. One being a different 2010 RX350 and received absolutely no static. Now, I understand some 'fade out' but this is like a shock type sound that goes from one speaker to the other. Plus, if I have on a CD or FM, it doesn't do it. I'm kind of still thinking a bad XM unit? Anyone heard of anything like that? Also, does it more when cold. I travel the same way to work and no spots are ever the same. I drove all the way in yesterday and only did it once. On the way home, it was so much, I had to turn off XM and put on my CD's.
Old 01-12-10, 05:49 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is going to be hard for you to pursue and convince the dealer to change out the unit because it sounds hard to reproduce in clear view of sky.

One detail I'm sure can be checked, but I do not know if the dealer has the tools, is to check the signal strength on your car at the XM Receiver Antenna In port and compare to another RX. This will at least verify you are getting good reception through the antenna.
Old 01-12-10, 06:01 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaRacerz
This is going to be hard for you to pursue and convince the dealer to change out the unit because it sounds hard to reproduce in clear view of sky.

One detail I'm sure can be checked, but I do not know if the dealer has the tools, is to check the signal strength on your car at the XM Receiver Antenna In port and compare to another RX. This will at least verify you are getting good reception through the antenna.
It doesn't matter if it's cloudy, sunny, whatever. It's not fading, it's like shocking the speaker for a second. It goes side to side on the speakers. Only on Satellite. And you know it won't do it when I go to the dealer.
Reception is fine. This is really hard to explain, it's not fading its like shorting out real quick.
Old 01-12-10, 06:40 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Ok, so if I understand this right, this isn't a static sound audible on all the speakers, but its only happening on one or a group of speakers at a time? Right?

Can you further explain when it happens... if its left side speakers, right side, back, front? I would also be curious if this does end up happening in a different mode to, even though you haven't experienced it yet.

Based on what you have said, I would agree with you on the Faulty XM Receiver. The only other possibility is there is an interconnect harness for the sound to from the XM Receiver to the Cars Radio HU. You could take this one, clean out the connectors (although this is premature for connection issues), and see if it comes back.

I have heard on rare occasions where the amplifier goes out on other Lexus models, but based on your description it does not sound like this is your problem.
Old 01-12-10, 06:42 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

That's a good call. Maybe the connection at the antenna or the back of the radio from the Satellite antenna cable.
Old 01-13-10, 04:48 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Ok, so if I understand this right, this isn't a static sound audible on all the speakers, but its only happening on one or a group of speakers at a time? Right?

Can you further explain when it happens... if its left side speakers, right side, back, front? I would also be curious if this does end up happening in a different mode to, even though you haven't experienced it yet.

Based on what you have said, I would agree with you on the Faulty XM Receiver. The only other possibility is there is an interconnect harness for the sound to from the XM Receiver to the Cars Radio HU. You could take this one, clean out the connectors (although this is premature for connection issues), and see if it comes back.

I have heard on rare occasions where the amplifier goes out on other Lexus models, but based on your description it does not sound like this is your problem.
Exactly. 1 set of speakers it jumps to. Left to right. Right to left. So far, I have tried every mode. XM only.
Since it's a 2010, I will bring it to the dealer under a warranty issue. I have no idea where the connectors are on a satelliet radio. But my fear is, it won't do this while I'm there. I have tried being in the garage, out of the garage, phone on, phone off. I even took the 'mirror' coating off my phone thinking it was interfering with my signal. So today, while I was on my phone I turned down the speaker volume.....I'm not saying that was it, but all the way into work, not one blast from a speaker. But I do think it has something to do with the cold. The only way now, is to see when I get out of work. This is really bugging me!
Thanks for everyone's help on this.
Old 01-13-10, 05:14 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Brought the car in. Drove away in a beater loaner....2009 RX. I can't believe the difference. Hopefully this stupid problem gets resolved. I also told them to not leave the windows down.... (new car smell).
Old 01-13-10, 06:42 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Luvmy350
Brought the car in. Drove away in a beater loaner....2009 RX. I can't believe the difference. Hopefully this stupid problem gets resolved. I also told them to not leave the windows down.... (new car smell).
Best of luck with the dealer! Let us know what they find.
Old 01-14-10, 04:49 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Thanks. I will definately be posting what's wrong. They were thinking the XM box being defective too. But we'll see....
Old 01-14-10, 03:50 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

As my life goes, I get all the unusual things.....this adding to the list. Nobody at the Lexus dealership could figure out the noise. So they ended up calling the Lexus Techs. They never heard of it either. The only thing they are doing is putting in a new XM receiver. It may or may not solve the problem they said. So I picked up my car and need to drop it back off next week......more to come after that. Hopefully that will work.
Old 01-22-10, 10:11 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Picked up my RX last night and low and behold it was the XM receiver.
NOW, they told me they are starting to get more of the same thing. Looks like a bad batch of receivers might have gone out.
Sounds beautiful now.
Old 02-04-10, 02:04 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

I don't have this specific problem but have had something strange with the XM that I had installed in my 2008 IS 350 when I bought it new from Lexus of Silver Spring in January 2009. Every now and then, the sound will get really static-y, come back, get static-y, come back and do this really fast for maybe 10 seconds and then cut out totally. I can't hear anything but can see the information. At that point, only the preview channel plans and it's in and out staticy. I think I have video of it. I'll put it up sometime soon.

It then won't come back on until later in the day after I've stopped the car. It's the weirdest thing. First couple times I called XM and they would resend the signal but then I realized it would come back on its own anyways so I no longer called them. I complained about it and took it to the dealer and on 11/25/2009 they replaced the "XM Tuner assy" (that's what it says ont he write up. My car was at 16,998 miles then. But it's happened a few times since then so that's not the problem. It doesnt' bother me too much because I haev my iPod and CD changer so I can just switch to something else.

Quick Reply: Static in speakers from Satellite Radio