RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Itune interface good with RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 02:31 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Itune interface good with RX350

I tried connecting my Itunes Ipod to the playstation PS3 at my home theater. Does not work. Its frustrating to have hundreds of music in Itunes and yet I can not pipe it into my home theater's sound system. I get all kind of excuses from websites. Wrong format, incompatible, blah, blah blah. Apple and Sony has not gotten their acts together.

Last weekend we went on a long trip. I haven't tried it before but I plugged Itunes ipod to the RX350. I went to the Menu, Audio and lo and behold a USB earmark suddently shows up. And all of the functions I can do in Itune is available to me on the NAV system. And I can select songs while the car is in motion !!! Thats one point for Lexus.

I only problem is plugging the darn usb connector. I have to get a trouble light before I can see exactely where it is. Its way down there in the bowels of the center console compartment. Together with two other plugs. I guess you can't get everything nowadays.
Old 01-19-10, 06:28 AM
chrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't really related to your Lexus, but if your PS3 is on a wireless network and you have a Mac, there is a great product from Null River called MediaLink that let's you wirelessly stream from your iTunes library to your PS3. It will stream any iTunes Plus songs you purchased from the iTunes store and any other unprotected songs in your library.

I love the USB connector in the Lexus. I just wish it would work consistently. I get a lot of connection errors.
Old 01-19-10, 08:03 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
I only problem is plugging the darn usb connector. I have to get a trouble light before I can see exactely where it is. Its way down there in the bowels of the center console compartment. Together with two other plugs. I guess you can't get everything nowadays.
Just get a second ipod cable and leave it plugged into the USB connector.
Old 01-19-10, 09:46 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajs
That is what I did. Who wants to fight putting that plug in all the time.
Old 01-19-10, 11:59 AM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdkellys
Yep, I got a USB extender cable also. I dragged my playlists from itunes to a USB thumbdrive (must be mp3 format), and the thumbdrive is plugged into the USB extender cable. Saves space and doesn't require any fiddling with it while driving.
Old 01-19-10, 12:01 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

One of the best things that I love about my RX is the iPod connector. I agree - leave the cable there and take away your iPod. Better yet, get a used iPod of good capacity from eBay, and just leave everything right there. Your music stays where you had stopped the car, and picks up whenever you start the engine - unless of course, you are worried about iPod being stolen. And, yes, the connectors being placed deep inside that 'cave' - its driving everyone nuts on this forum.
Old 01-19-10, 12:05 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrick
This isn't really related to your Lexus, but if your PS3 is on a wireless network and you have a Mac, there is a great product from Null River called MediaLink that let's you wirelessly stream from your iTunes library to your PS3. It will stream any iTunes Plus songs you purchased from the iTunes store and any other unprotected songs in your library.

I love the USB connector in the Lexus. I just wish it would work consistently. I get a lot of connection errors.
I have a PC. I know I can still do it by burning the songs to a CD. But whats the point? I have the original CDs.
Old 01-19-10, 12:09 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mdkellys
Yes that is what I have in mind too.

There are little kinks in the interface. One that bothering is when you a playing a song and you scroll down the list, it changes the song. What's that? But the relative quietness of the car cabin and very good speakers make up for that shortcoming.
Old 01-19-10, 12:18 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Yes - that is an annoying problem LeoDion. On the interface, you see your list - it plays the top song. You click the down arrow to scroll down the next screen...it abandons the song it was playing and skips to the top song on the next screen. So, forget about 'looking' for an album or song from Lexus interface. I have learnt that if I want to hear a particular song, I just unplug the iPod, find the song on the ipod itself and hook it back.
Old 01-19-10, 05:27 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Retractable USB cable

Originally Posted by ajs
For about $12 at Wall-Mart you can get a retractable USB cable to plug in to the USB port and leave the other end in the console. Makes plugging the Ipod, thumb-drive or what have you easy. I've been using mine since late June.