RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Ipod song selection - is it really this bad?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10 | 05:13 PM
tacomaboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Ipod song selection - is it really this bad?!

New 2010 RX350 with NAV and we love it, except when we try to change artist or song on our ipod. Scrolling through the Menu->Songs list causes problems.

Most systems will allow you to scroll through the list, select the song you want, click on the song, and it will start playing.

The RX seems to have a mind of its own. As you scroll through the list, it will start playing the song at the top of each page, even if you have not clicked on that song! So if you have 500 songs, and you want to select a song near the end of the list, its nearly impossible... its hideously slow, and to make matters worse, rather than continuing to play the song you had, it constantly changes songs as you go through the list.

We have tried scrolling with the center scroll on the remote touch, the remote touch itself, the steering wheel controls, and the selection ****, and all of them work the same way.

We have tried it with a fourth gen Nano, and a second gen Touch. It does not seem to be a setting problem... anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-19-10 | 06:40 PM
Orbit
Rookie

Yes I have the same problem. It discourages me from having a large capacity iPod connected, because navigating to a particular song (when I have about 3000 of them) is impractical.

I just use my 8gb Nano, and rely on playlists. But sometimes I feel like I want to hear a particular song, and I can't do it.

It would be a bit better if the system wouldn't automatically play the first item on a page, but that doesn't solve the entire problem.
Old 01-19-10 | 06:49 PM
tacomaboy
Driver School Candidate

Well at least we are not the only one with this issue... are there any contacts at Lexus we can reach to have them fix this?
Old 01-19-10 | 07:22 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

As mentioned in other threads....drag the itunes playlists to the directory of a USB thumbdrive. (must be mp3 format) Then plug the thumbdrive into the USB port and leave the ipod at home.
Old 01-19-10 | 08:24 PM
tacomaboy
Driver School Candidate

I read other threads and must have missed that. Its a pretty poor solution, there is no real reason an ipod should work like that. I hope they fix it soon.

In the meantime I guess the thumbdrive it is. I hate making this comparison, but our 09 Murano we traded in did this fine. A bit of buyers remorse...
Old 01-19-10 | 09:18 PM
np0531
Rookie

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
I read other threads and must have missed that. Its a pretty poor solution, there is no real reason an ipod should work like that. I hope they fix it soon.

In the meantime I guess the thumbdrive it is. I hate making this comparison, but our 09 Murano we traded in did this fine. A bit of buyers remorse...
You can also just keep clicking the up or down arrow. If you keep clicking you can continually scroll through the lists without playing the first song on each page. Only way to get through your playlists/songs without losing your mind.

I have a 120GB iPod with over 100 playlists so I feel your pain...

You'll probably want to disable the clicking sound and the error sound as well.
Old 01-19-10 | 09:56 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

If you use the thumb drive, be sure to delete all the invisible directory files that your computer sticks on there. Otherwise your Lexus will try to read each file as a song, slowing everything down. On the Mac, you can use a program called "Hidden Cleaner" which deletes all these files when you eject the USB drive.
Old 01-20-10 | 05:53 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

I mentioned this problem in another thread. If you scroll fast enough you might be able to go down the list. Another way is list the song by artist so you have a smaller list. Or play by album. I think (although I have not tried) you can create your own playlist?
Old 01-20-10 | 07:15 AM
tacomaboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
I mentioned this problem in another thread. If you scroll fast enough you might be able to go down the list. Another way is list the song by artist so you have a smaller list. Or play by album. I think (although I have not tried) you can create your own playlist?

I have tried clicking really fast, and while that prevents the first song on each page from playing, its still way too slow. I think I will call my dealer and service dept and put in a complaint. Hopefully Lexus can fix this quickly and cheaply since it should just be a software fix. In the meantime we will use a thumbdrive.

Thanks all. The car is really great otherwise!
Old 01-20-10 | 09:06 AM
staiber
Driver School Candidate

If your ipod has blue tooth you can sync it to the navigation system. You have to control the songs through the ipod itself, but it plays through the speakers. This also works for audiobooks, the navigation system starts them over when the car is turned off. Not ideal, but it does help.
Old 04-15-10 | 03:24 PM
gonzalu
Driver

IS the THUMBDRIVE interface BETTER than that of the iPod interface? If it is the same, it would be just as bad for me. ALL THEY HAD TO DO is AT LEAST give us a wa to type in the letters of a song, or title, or whatever. Give me a keyboard entry and I would forgive everything else.

Heck, give me the Voice Command for the Phone in the iPod and I could say:

"Play Lady Gaga"

or

"Play Bad Romance"

or

"Play Lady Gaga Telephone"

and be done with it. I wonder if they actually had a REAL PERSON sit in front of this thing with a REAL iPod before approving this module!!

Arrgh!
Old 04-16-10 | 01:44 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Aussie RX's don't come with the USB interface. My Lexus Dealer had a Vaistech VML installed at the Dealer's cost - no issues with my iPod whatsoever!