RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Why an inner box in the center console?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 05:57 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why an inner box in the center console?

We all know that the center console has an inner plastic box. To gain access to the usb and power outlet, you need to remove this box. But why the box? Is it to be use as a temp garbage container that one can put in that space under the center console? Or is there a function for it that I am not aware of?

PS: The box won't fit the space under the console.

Last edited by LeoDLion; 01-24-10 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 08:23 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably for coins. or iPod...
Old 01-20-10, 10:00 AM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove it. Life is much easier that way.
Old 01-20-10, 11:14 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusrxus
Remove it. Life is much easier that way.
LOL.

This design of placing outlets so deep is actually the worst part on this RX10. I really couldn't figure out how they came up with this idea. I had a chance of asking a few Toyota engineers who also disliked this but couldn't answer what's going on...

Last edited by rxets; 01-20-10 at 06:23 PM. Reason: correction.
Old 01-20-10, 11:38 AM
np0531
Rookie

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
We all know that the center console has an inner plastic box. To gain access to the usb and power outlet, you need to remove this box. But why the box? Is it to be use as a temp garbage container that one can put in that space under the center console? Or is there a function for it that I am not aware of?
I actually like the inner box.

For me it helps because I have 2 power inverters in the space underneath the box. It helps to separate the wires/clutter from the rest of the contents. If you don't really have a lot of cables plugged in then the box is probably just a nuisance.
Old 01-20-10, 02:26 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

How do you keep the cables from falling down? I have one iPod cable that goes with iPod sitting on that little tray on top of the box. I have another cable for my phone that has to come out of the whole thing. I close the console and the cable gets squeezed. I dont mind that, but everytime I open the console, the cable slips back in the 'cave'. I have to pull the black box, and all that. And try to do that while driving. I am tempted to use duct tape or gorilla tape (yes, another use of duct tape). No seriously, any ideas on how to keep cables stay?
Old 01-24-10, 09:36 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by np0531
I actually like the inner box.

For me it helps because I have 2 power inverters in the space underneath the box. It helps to separate the wires/clutter from the rest of the contents. If you don't really have a lot of cables plugged in then the box is probably just a nuisance.
I like it too. I have an old iPhone hooked up to the USB port, hidden under the inner box. Can't see it, can't steal it. I keep my new iPhone in the door, in the "hole" you grab to close the door. I use the new iPhone as a Bluetooth phone, Bluetooth iPod and also Bluetooth weather radio. XM weather is worthless, but that's another thread.

Opening the armrest and pulling out the inner box is a bit of a pain, but I do it so rarely and just to update the playlists on the iPhone. The inner box just has led flashlights, pocket knife or other essential, but not frequently needed items.

What verges on worthless is that big hole in the console between driver and passenger's feet. I have a black nylong trash bag in it.
Old 01-24-10, 04:44 PM
Orbit
Rookie

"What verges on worthless is that big hole in the console between driver and passenger's feet. I have a black nylon trash bag in it."

I'm afraid that anything I put down there I'll forget; the space is so dark and inaccessible to me.
Old 01-25-10, 05:24 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The center console/accessory outlets/console liner is a truly miserable design. It is hard to understand who, or what focus group, decided that this isn't ridiculous.
Much better, in fact the best I have ever seen, is the old RX-300 design with a "pass through" console (no big hole), cup holders on top, and two storage drawers underneath that open forward.
Old 01-26-10, 05:24 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrxus
How do you keep the cables from falling down? I have one iPod cable that goes with iPod sitting on that little tray on top of the box. I have another cable for my phone that has to come out of the whole thing. I close the console and the cable gets squeezed. I dont mind that, but everytime I open the console, the cable slips back in the 'cave'. I have to pull the black box, and all that. And try to do that while driving. I am tempted to use duct tape or gorilla tape (yes, another use of duct tape). No seriously, any ideas on how to keep cables stay?
I use a DC outlet extension cord so that I have a convenient DC inline outlet in the liner. The outlet is too large to slip down the hole. A twist tie is used to secure the cellfone charger cord, and the USB extender cord to the DC outlet cord. This keeps all three from slipping down the hole.

(Amazing that on a $45K+ car, owners are discussing ways to defeat this shortcoming)
Old 01-26-10, 06:13 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Solution to cables slipping down

I just use the little slide door that covers the hole the cables come out to pinch the cable against the container so the cables don't slip down.