RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

iPod scrolling

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 07:11 AM
Nocaster7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod scrolling

I just picked up my 2010 RX yesterday, and I noticed that while scrolling through the "Artist" list on the nav screen, every time I page down, it automatically starts playing the first song by the artist at the top of each "page".

Is there no way to have the current track continue to play as I scroll down the list? It's pretty annoying - lol.
Old 02-02-10, 08:40 AM
Nocaster7
Driver School Candidate

Disregard, I just found that this is a known issue.

Too bad, is this even something that can be patched at a later date?
Old 02-02-10, 01:30 PM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nocaster7
Disregard, I just found that this is a known issue.

Too bad, is this even something that can be patched at a later date?
I don't know. I agree with you though that it is very annoying.
Old 04-15-10, 03:18 PM
gonzalu
Rookie

Enough to make me want to use the LEmon Law to get my money back :-( it is SERIOUSLY flawed. NEver mind that, the fact that there is no direct input of AT LEAST THE FIRST LETTER of a title, or artist, or whatever. With over 5000 songs on myiPod, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get to what I want to listen to. If they intended for it to be played from the top with the RND button on, I might as well listen to the radio. The WHOLE IDEA of an iPod is to have full control and direct access to your music, not for random playing.

It took me exactly 3.5 minutes to scroll as fast as I could to get to the letter L to play Lady Gaga this morning. By the time I got to it, I was at work :-(

I am going to write a better review when I post my new owner's report soon :-)

Good luck. Let;s all complain loud enough and maybe a fix will come sooner than my lease is up.
Old 04-15-10, 04:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Chill out Manny. Sure it's a PITA but lemon law? Seriously Before I got my first Lexus, I went through the lemon law process because the car I had was dangerous to drive and almost killed me. No comparison. Geez!
Old 04-15-10, 05:30 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the designer of the Nav interface probably doesnt own an iPod

Im not a huge music buff so i dont see this being a problem. I have at most 500 songs, and I keep it organzied in playlists that dont exceed 20 songs. haha. But on my other car which has ipod integration, it begins playing the song right after you open up a playlist. If you have ever been in a Merc and noticed the center speedo display, that is the small screen which you must choose your song, its not available on the nav screen
Old 04-15-10, 06:20 PM
gonzalu
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Chill out Manny. Sure it's a PITA but lemon law? Seriously Before I got my first Lexus, I went through the lemon law process because the car I had was dangerous to drive and almost killed me. No comparison. Geez!
Anita, YOU Chill :-) it was a joke, geesh... But in all seriousness, it is really bad, given the price of these cars. They ATTRACT you with these little details. A car WITHOUT the electonics and extra bells and whistles is NOT worth as much and definitely will never swing a consumer to [it] from another brand.

Indeed my Lexus NAV is still 100 years better than BMW/Mercedes... at least those of three years ago. But, I live INSIDE my car and exterior changes alone won;t keep me loyal (this is my fourth RX) if they keep going backwards. They removed my Sunglasses Holder, killed my center console (I can't get in there easily and it is just a huge hole) and I never got back my coin pocket from the 2004/2000 models... The Voice Command has gotten better which is welcome.

Last edited by gonzalu; 04-15-10 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Completeness of thought
Old 04-15-10, 06:59 PM
BHart882
Driver School Candidate

I found a little trick to avoid the automatic play while scrolling, but it's difficult to do consistently. I use the Up/Down click button on the "mouse pad". When you click down, for instance, and the screen refreshes, the top selection is highlighted blue. If you wait a half second after the top selection is highlighted and click down (or up) again, it will go down the list without actually playing that song. It takes practice, not to mention it can be dangerous watching the NAV screen the whole time, trying to time the clicks, lol.

As someone who knows how to program (but doesn't do it for a living), I really have zero respect for the Lexus iPod programmers. Fixing this problem would be extremely easy. I also would like some additional features, such as holding down the up or down button to scroll quickly (a very easy programming fix).
Or like the iPod, adding a small alphabet on the side to move quickly to a letter, instead of scrolling from A to M. This would take some more time to add from a programming perspective. Anyone who programs can understand what I'm talking about. I find it really annoying that Lexus can't find any decent programmer (a college student even) to spend a week to add these features and debug.
Old 04-15-10, 07:12 PM
Orbit
Rookie

Angry

Originally Posted by BHart882
As someone who knows how to program (but doesn't do it for a living), I really have zero respect for the Lexus iPod programmers. Fixing this problem would be extremely easy. I also would like some additional features, such as holding down the up or down button to scroll quickly (a very easy programming fix).
Or like the iPod, adding a small alphabet on the side to move quickly to a letter, instead of scrolling from A to M. This would take some more time to add from a programming perspective. Anyone who programs can understand what I'm talking about. I find it really annoying that Lexus can't find any decent programmer (a college student even) to spend a week to add these features and debug.
It would be easy if the software is as modular as it should be. If it's not, a fix here may cause the hatch to open at 70mph!
Old 04-15-10, 07:49 PM
gonzalu
Rookie

Originally Posted by BHart882
I found a little trick to avoid the automatic play while scrolling, but it's difficult to do consistently. I use the Up/Down click button on the "mouse pad". When you click down, for instance, and the screen refreshes, the top selection is highlighted blue. If you wait a half second after the top selection is highlighted and click down (or up) again, it will go down the list without actually playing that song. It takes practice, not to mention it can be dangerous watching the NAV screen the whole time, trying to time the clicks, lol.

Yup I figured this out this morning by accident :-) And you're right, it takes practice. I found that I could just time it, and not have to look at the screen.

As for the programming, a SIMPLE LETTER PAD would have made a 1,000% improvent over current options (none) to get to a letter quickly. And never mind finding a good programmer. How about just having a regular iPod user sit in it for an hour... this would have been obvious within 5 minutes.
Old 04-16-10, 08:39 AM
BHart882
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Orbit
It would be easy if the software is as modular as it should be. If it's not, a fix here may cause the hatch to open at 70mph!

LOL, good point! I can't imagine (I HOPE) that it was designed this way.
Old 04-16-10, 01:56 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

considering you cannot input to the nav system while driving for safety-this ipod interface is worse because we all use ipod more than nav when driving--how many times do you change your destination during a trip