RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX e-brake clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 08:35 PM
Aloger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX e-brake clunk

Hi guys,

My 2010 rx makes a really loud clunk noise whenever i release the e-brake. I have the touring package with 19inch wheels and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have had this problem ever since it was new I ahve taken it in once already for the 1600km check but the dealer just kept the car all day and never fixed the problem. I am sure I can fix the problem by taking the rear brakes apart but I dont want to void the warranty or anything. I just hate lexus service thats all.

Thanks
Old 02-04-10, 08:40 PM
garfull
Rookie

Every rx has this noise that I've looked at. The noise shouldn't be there and my service rep has reported it. Hopefully if enough complaints go in lexus will release a tsb for it.
Old 02-04-10, 10:32 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

is it a clunk, or more like a click. If its the latter, then it is normal
Old 02-05-10, 04:16 AM
jay_man2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
is it a clunk, or more like a click. If its the latter, then it is normal
It's a loud clunk that's outside the vehicle, which I hear every time I release the parking brake with the driver door open.
Old 02-05-10, 11:16 AM
rex350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garfull
Every rx has this noise that I've looked at. The noise shouldn't be there and my service rep has reported it. Hopefully if enough complaints go in lexus will release a tsb for it.
Mine doesn't have it at all.
Old 02-05-10, 11:31 AM
Aloger
Driver School Candidate

Yeah exactly what jay man said, it is a loud clunk I can hear inside the vehicle and outside the vehicle, I called lexus to make an appoitment and told them to fix the problem and DO NOT call me until it is fixed as I wont come pick up the vehicle until it is fixed. We will see what happens otherwise I will go to another lexus dealer.
Old 02-05-10, 11:45 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Mine clunks too, but I've heard this on every "truck" I've driven that has a lever to disengage the brake.
Old 02-05-10, 11:48 AM
Aloger
Driver School Candidate

On my 2005 rx 330 I never had the clunk and it is probably the exact same design, but I did have lots of clunking with the 2005 transmission
Old 02-05-10, 05:25 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

My tranny is quiet. It's not like the regular FWD tranny which used to make noise when shifting among gears.

As for the clunk sound in e-brakes, it seems normal, especially when parking on the roads with incline, part of car's weight will kind of lean against your brakes. When you release them, the "clunk" sounds will be heard.

Give it a try. You will hear londer clunk when releasing it after parking on the steep slope.
Old 02-05-10, 05:33 PM
Aloger
Driver School Candidate

I had the AWD rx 330 and the transmission never knew which gear to go in and clunked all the time. As for the 2010 rx 350 I hear a loud clunk when I release the e-brake when I park on a very flat surface with no incline at all.
Old 02-05-10, 05:46 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Just try to clarify... The noise I meant above was from the standing-still situation, when ****ing from D to R to P or out of P. If my auto tranny makes the noise like I drive 6MT, I'll send to the shop for the check-up.
Old 02-06-10, 05:19 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

I had a clunk from e-brake, but it was hear when you drive slowly on bumpy road and one of windows is opened...that was the problem with one of pretentioners of e-brake in brake drums...

Now I have some noise from rear brake pads, mostly one reversing and starting to touch brake pedal...rear brake pads, like to move in place, with some noise that actualy is getting very annoying already...dealer have still no idea how to fix THIS problem..
Old 02-06-10, 07:46 AM
jay_man2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aloger
I had the AWD rx 330 and the transmission never knew which gear to go in and clunked all the time. As for the 2010 rx 350 I hear a loud clunk when I release the e-brake when I park on a very flat surface with no incline at all.
Same here. My '05 RX had a clunky transmission at low speeds moving through the neighborhood.
Old 02-06-10, 12:22 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aloger
Hi guys,

My 2010 rx makes a really loud clunk noise whenever i release the e-brake. I have the touring package with 19inch wheels and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have had this problem ever since it was new I ahve taken it in once already for the 1600km check but the dealer just kept the car all day and never fixed the problem. I am sure I can fix the problem by taking the rear brakes apart but I dont want to void the warranty or anything. I just hate lexus service thats all.

Thanks
I find the noise on releasing my emergency brake to be normal. I have just a little clicking sound under the rear of the car, as I "slowly" release the brake.
I wonder if when you're releasing the brake slowly, very slowly, you still hear the loud noise? I don't think tire size should have any bearing on the noise.
Old 02-06-10, 01:20 PM
Aloger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4482
I find the noise on releasing my emergency brake to be normal. I have just a little clicking sound under the rear of the car, as I "slowly" release the brake.
I wonder if when you're releasing the brake slowly, very slowly, you still hear the loud noise? I don't think tire size should have any bearing on the noise.
I will try to release it very slowly and I will report back to you.

Quick Reply: RX e-brake clunk