RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Should I buy a new RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 09:16 AM
OC-ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I could be wrong, but I'm betting the 2011 won't be out till the September/October time frame as it won't be a new model being introduced early as the Gen III 2010 was when it came out a year ago. Just guessing based on past intro's.

Of course now that I've said this, they'll probably bring it out next week
I was at the dealer yesterday discussing a custom build RX450. After multiple calls by the dealer to corporate, the dealer "confirmed" that the 2011 will debut in September, thus the 2010 will be a long model year. If I order the car within the next 2 months, it will be built as a 2010.

Of course, now that I've said this.....
Old 02-13-10, 01:55 PM
1S350IN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jclem
While I do agree that Acura's SHAWD system is good, this video is hardly impartial !! The test is done/posted by "Temple of Vtec" a Honda/Acura site, not by Car and Drive or Road and Track. Plus they even state that the Acura has Michelin Alpin tires--one of the best snow/ice tires made, whereas the Audi and Lexus have stock AS tires.

Again, I do think the Acura's awd system works well, but I wouldn't select a car based on this video.
Not sure where you are getting your information but the tires on the MDX were stock tires. This is Club Lexus so some would deny any shortcomings of the RX even though they are true. The video also shows that the RX was less capable than the Q7. The Q7 almost made it up but the RX struggled all the way - pretty consistent with magazine reviews. The most important thing is to test drive a few vehicles and then decide which one is best suited for one's needs.
Old 02-13-10, 06:00 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1S350IN
Not sure where you are getting your information but the tires on the MDX were stock tires. This is Club Lexus so some would deny any shortcomings of the RX even though they are true. The video also shows that the RX was less capable than the Q7. The Q7 almost made it up but the RX struggled all the way - pretty consistent with magazine reviews. The most important thing is to test drive a few vehicles and then decide which one is best suited for one's needs.
If you scroll through the comments you'll find a reply from 'Temple of Vtec', the 'creators' of the video, which says the Acura (and a BMW not shown) have Alpins.

I'm not pretending that the Lexus is the best snow handler out there, but, likewise, no one can pretend that this test was impartial. Tests/reviews done by known magazines--yes, but tests/reviews put on youtube by Honda--No.
Old 02-13-10, 08:06 PM
1S350IN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jclem
If you scroll through the comments you'll find a reply from 'Temple of Vtec', the 'creators' of the video, which says the Acura (and a BMW not shown) have Alpins.

I'm not pretending that the Lexus is the best snow handler out there, but, likewise, no one can pretend that this test was impartial. Tests/reviews done by known magazines--yes, but tests/reviews put on youtube by Honda--No.
I'll suggest you go back and read the comments diligently... Here are the comments - "All of the crossovers had original equipment all-season tires. The 335xi (not shown in the cilp) and TL SH-AWD that were tested were equipped with MIchelin Alpin snow tires." So the MDX, like the RX and Q7 all had stock OEM stock tires. The fact that it was tested at an Acura event is a different discussion but don't inaccurately say the MDX had snow tires when they were actually OEM all-season tires.

Last edited by 1S350IN; 02-13-10 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-13-10, 08:39 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Holy crap, man, lighten-up!! OK, I misread it. I made a mistake, now let's move on
Old 02-14-10, 07:02 PM
Saurabh
Rookie

The Q7 made it up so far because it would grip on the other side of the ice.... it was just as bad, if not worse than the rx. The MDX did in fact take that slope like a champ though. haha
Old 02-15-10, 09:16 PM
LexFather

I'll suggest you go back and read the comments diligently... Here are the comments - "All of the crossovers had original equipment all-season tires. The 335xi (not shown in the cilp) and TL SH-AWD that were tested were equipped with MIchelin Alpin snow tires." So the MDX, like the RX and Q7 all had stock OEM stock tires. The fact that it was tested at an Acura event is a different discussion but don't inaccurately say the MDX had snow tires when they were actually OEM all-season tires.
They DISABLED the system on the Lexus and Audi. It is a b.s comparison as they were not fair. It was hosted by Honda.

Originally Posted by DrewSXR
AWD Comparison - Lexus ATC vs. Audi Quattro vs. Acura SH-AWD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZxVefta68

I am not sure what the heck is going on in this video, but it looks like the traction control was turned off on the Lexus and during the middle of the run, it was turned off on the Audi. I don't know really, it doesn't seem objective... :sly:

:sly:
Old 02-15-10, 10:08 PM
data2009
Pole Position

I'll suggest you go back and read the comments diligently...
I'm not sure which comments to read. The 7 comments I read flame Honda fans for staging the MDX win.

I am sure MDX is very capable vehicle. I do not understand a need to put other brands down. Must be some sort of insecurity issues.
Old 02-16-10, 07:26 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Now, I will need to see car and driver do the same thing, but come up with different results.
Old 02-16-10, 07:50 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Yes, I would like to know also. I can't find one thing that annoys me. I absolutely love my 2010 RX. I had an '09 loaner and I couldn't wait to get back into my 2010. Roomier, more like a car in my opinion. But would love to know what is annoying.
Old 02-18-10, 11:14 PM
1S350IN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They DISABLED the system on the Lexus and Audi. It is a b.s comparison as they were not fair. It was hosted by Honda.
Regardless of your viewpoint, I think it's interesting that you are potraying someone's opinion as if it were fact! It would be more credible if you could back up such a bold claim with more substantive information.

Last edited by 1S350IN; 02-19-10 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-19-10, 07:12 AM
1S350IN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Autoblog was also at the winter testing event and they have posted a review on their website. They seem to be suggesting the same thing the video was trying to demonstrate.

Read full review: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/18/a...-in-minnesota/

Here is a quote - "As expected, the MDX – with its torque-vectoring all-wheel drive – was able to stop at the midway point and then scurry its way to the top in undramatic fashion. The RX and Q7? Not so much. Both were an angry wheel-spinning, frantic counter-steering mess, and on at least one occasion we had to slide backwards to make another go of it".

Another quote - "The comparatively low-tech AWD system that Lexus employs on its best-selling CUV is more comfortable traipsing through dirt-strewn wineries than Minnesotan winters".

Last edited by 1S350IN; 02-19-10 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-19-10, 08:07 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Autoblog was also at the winter testing event and they have posted a review on their website. They seem to be suggesting the same thing the video was trying to demonstrate.

Read full review: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/18/a...-in-minnesota/

Here is a quote - "As expected, the MDX – with its torque-vectoring all-wheel drive – was able to stop at the midway point and then scurry its way to the top in undramatic fashion. The RX and Q7? Not so much. Both were an angry wheel-spinning, frantic counter-steering mess, and on at least one occasion we had to slide backwards to make another go of it".

Another quote - "The comparatively low-tech AWD system that Lexus employs on its best-selling CUV is more comfortable traipsing through dirt-strewn wineries than Minnesotan winters".
AET is Honda's testing ground, and the cars they use are testing vehicles.
From this review, the MDX they are using is hacked up with a laptop and small ***** that control the torque. I don't think you can manually control the torque in the production car.

I believe they turn the ***** to cut off all power on the driver side wheels to get it up the hill.

"To illustrate the customization of SH-AWD, Acura hacked up an MDX with a laptop, some cables and a black box with a small **** controlling torque output front-to-rear."

Here is another review:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/how-to-...-temperatures/
Old 02-19-10, 09:15 AM
1S350IN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wyau01
AET is Honda's testing ground, and the cars they use are testing vehicles.
From this review, the MDX they are using is hacked up with a laptop and small ***** that control the torque. I don't think you can manually control the torque in the production car.

I believe they turn the ***** to cut off all power on the driver side wheels to get it up the hill.

"To illustrate the customization of SH-AWD, Acura hacked up an MDX with a laptop, some cables and a black box with a small **** controlling torque output front-to-rear."

Here is another review:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/how-to-...-temperatures/
Apparently, the Car and Driver article seems to reinforce the superiority of the SH-AWD system. Seems like someone comes up with an excuse everytime a point is proven to be factually wrong. First, it was the MDX had snow tires - which was a dead wrong argument! Second untrue argument, traction control was turned off on the competitor vehicles. Now, another excuse is coming up. It's what it is!

Last edited by 1S350IN; 02-19-10 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-20-10, 05:33 AM
sunshne
Driver School Candidate

Default no

i have owned 3 rx's and bought a new one in december what a mistake the car's seatbelt column rattles and the dealer has been a complete jerk after 3 attempts the car remains unfixed this is my last lexus say hell o to bmw

Quick Reply: Should I buy a new RX350?