RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Should I buy a new RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 04:25 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Should I buy a new RX350?

Our RX300 got totaled yesterday (see my post in the RX300 forum). She was in absolutely mint condition and we are sick. But, we must move on.

So, for all of you RX350 owners, are you happy? Do you recommend this vehicle? Looks like the major in-kind competitor is Accura MDX. The MDX is bigger and cheaper, but has complicated cabin controls and requires premium fuel.

One of the knocks on the RX is road noise. I have read several complaints about high wind and road noise. Any of you folks unhappy in this regard. I have also read that the RX350 seems to be cheaper than the RX300's with dash ratlles, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 02-05-10, 05:11 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Our RX300 got totaled yesterday (see my post in the RX300 forum). She was in absolutely mint condition and we are sick. But, we must move on.

So, for all of you RX350 owners, are you happy? Do you recommend this vehicle? Looks like the major in-kind competitor is Accura MDX. The MDX is bigger and cheaper, but has complicated cabin controls and requires premium fuel.

One of the knocks on the RX is road noise. I have read several complaints about high wind and road noise. Any of you folks unhappy in this regard. I have also read that the RX350 seems to be cheaper than the RX300's with dash ratlles, etc.

Hi Art, sorry for your incident.
I had an '03 RX300 and really loved it with no intention of trading it. Then when I was getting the oil changed last spring I test drove the 2010 RX. I placed an order that day for the RX450h and took delivery in May for the 1st one in Atlanta. It's been great and I haven't regretted it a moment.

BTW, I sold my old one to Carmax as the difference was over $2k more than what the Lexus dealer could offer. I'll have a big '09 tax purchase to deduct from my tax's this year

FYI, the recommended octane for this year is 91 but my dealer say's 89 is fine. But since I've upped my mpg by over 10mpg I don't have a problem with high test.
Old 02-05-10, 06:05 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't speak about experience from prior years as this is my first Lexus. I looked at the MDX as well and did not like the dash or it's lack of some features. The pricing seemed the same to me.

Anyway, very happy with my purchase. Lexus has resolved the wind noise by adding acoustic glass to the front 2 windows. Road noise I think is due to the larger rims this year. I have the 19's, I think the 18's would have been quieter. The noise is not deafening you are just able to hear them at times depending on the road surface. I do have the Michelins. To my understanding that is the quieter tire. I have had no rattles but my vehicle was a later production. Lexus does ongoing improvements to their vehicles in stead of waiting for the next model year.

No regrets.
Old 02-05-10, 06:05 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Buy or lease the 2010 RX

Sorry to hear about losing your car! I love my RX. I have the premium package, heated and cooled seats, remote start, back-up camera and trailer hitch. I have a little over 100 miles. This is my sixth RX. I lease and have kept the same payment with no money down since 1998. I have no rattles or squeaks. I love the sport shift, the quik release to lower the back seats, the blue tooth, and the ipod connection. I don't have nav bot the design of the dash allows me to easily clip a radar detector to the lip hanging over the radio screen and I plan to buy a portable GPS unit which should easily fit in the space in front of the radio screen. Lot's of people have complained about the power outlets being in the power console but I found some plastic wire clips that allow me to run the cords along the driver side of the console which keeps everything neat.

The suspension seemed to be a little tighter when I first starting driving the new RX compared to my 2008 but I don't notice it now. I would say see if they will let you take a loaner on both an in city and highway test drive to see how you like it.
Old 02-05-10, 06:14 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wife has an 08 RX... which has been a great car. Since we had such luck with it, I liked the look of the 2010 RX and went with it. Been extremely happy and I am hypercritical of my vehicles.

Had a 2007 MDX which isn't much diff than the current model... had to Lemon Law it. Interior is cheap, lot of engine noise and honestly corporate support sucks.

Highway wind noise is no worse than any other car. Problem is they've made the car much quieter, so any noise is magnified.

Road noise is due the tires on the car based on my experience. I had Bridgestones on when I took delivery, switched to Michelin Latitudes after 3 months and it's a world of difference.

If you do buy, make the dealer put Michlein Latitudes on before purchasing the car. Have them swap from another vehicle if necessary.

Also, I'd recommend getting a Japan built car, VIN begins with J.
Old 02-05-10, 07:27 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2004 MDX and a 2007 Audi Q7 before we bought the 2010 RX-350. We have about 3500 miles on it now and love it. We found the Lexus and the Acura when you match up features are priced about the same. The Lexus had the much better lease terms. However, I know that the dealers around us were taking $6000-8000 off the 2009 MDXs with little negotiating effort. My 2004 MDX had a lot of little electrical gremlins.
Old 02-05-10, 05:00 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc

If I were you I'd wait until the 2011's come out. There are a few annoying things with the 2010 that will hopefully be corrected with the next model. I would think the 2011 models would be out shortly.
Old 02-05-10, 05:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

artbuc, sorry to hear about your RX. I'm very glad to hear no one was injured.

IMO the 3rd gen 350 is very different from the previous gen RXs so you're better off looking at it as a completely new vehicle. Think of the first time you drove your RX300. It was unlike anything else you ever drove before. That's how I feel about my 450h and I've been driving RXs for 11+ years now.

I haven't experienced any rattle problems or excessive road noise. Even if I did, it wouldn't be enough to make me jump ship to another brand. The RX only gets better and better. Good luck.
Old 02-05-10, 05:59 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I have noticed that here locally they are getting rid of inventory. The RX I bought is no longer available(Luxury). They have also reduced the base price. If you buy now you can probablly get a good deal on a 2010. I think by March we will start to see the 2011.
Old 02-06-10, 05:05 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Great input!! Thank-you all very much.

Any comments about FWD vs AWD? Our RX300 has (had?) AWD. I'm not sure we really need it and I would like to avoid the extra mechanical system required to deliver power to the rear wheels.
Old 02-06-10, 05:33 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Of the 6 rx's I've had all have been AWD. I'm in the Chicago area and two wheel drive just isn't available. I suspect even here 2 wheel drive is OK. I've never ordered one because usually my dealer is calling me to buy me out of my lease and upgrade me into a new one for the same lease payment.
Old 02-06-10, 05:40 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Stick with FWD and buy the Lexus ! Many good deals are out there , and Toyota will sweeten the pot for current owners , probably with 1k-2k additional loyalty rebates.
Old 02-06-10, 07:22 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

I have AWD and live in the desert. The main reason was for torque steer. I have yet to notice any on this car. The new mechanics of the AWD is differnet and less involved than the previous models. Much more efficient and you do still have the ability to lock the differential if you get stuck. The AWD is rated for towing and the FWD is not. Inventory might be an issue right now.

Good luck and lets us know the results.
Old 02-06-10, 04:46 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go for the 2010, sorry abt the rx300
Old 02-07-10, 02:53 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4482
If I were you I'd wait until the 2011's come out. There are a few annoying things with the 2010 that will hopefully be corrected with the next model. I would think the 2011 models would be out shortly.
Could you be more specific? What are these few things that bother you? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a new RX350?