RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX NAV again

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 10:46 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX NAV again

OK, I have 5K miles on the RX450h and after a while I've come to like the NAV save for one thing -- the regions that lack detailed navigation seem to be vast. The system will not navigate through these regions; rather it routes around them adding many, many miles.

My Garmin Nuvi routes me straight in without issue.

Hopefully upcoming software updates will fill in the blank spaces.

To work around this I check the area on Microsoft Streets & Trips and go off course as needed.
Old 02-11-10, 01:13 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
OK, I have 5K miles on the RX450h and after a while I've come to like the NAV save for one thing -- the regions that lack detailed navigation seem to be vast. The system will not navigate through these regions; rather it routes around them adding many, many miles.

My Garmin Nuvi routes me straight in without issue.

Hopefully upcoming software updates will fill in the blank spaces.

To work around this I check the area on Microsoft Streets & Trips and go off course as needed.
I agree with the frustration.I don't know why they can't be more uup to date. The street I live on has been a state road for about 5 yrs, and it is only with the latest software that it is even recognized as existing. However, with 50+ residences, the Nav system still is incapable of finding an address. I had to mark my home myself rather than putting in my address. It isn't that no other system can find us. The addresses are part of the 911 security/safety systems, and I can find my home using Google maps. I presume things are better in urban areas, but there still needs to be better connectivity. Setting my Nav to go home, I have to start disregarding its directions from several miles away or else it will send me miles out of the way. I feel sorry for those who are just visiting the area and don't know the roads.
Old 02-11-10, 01:16 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

I've started keeping my Garmin in the glove box. The RX NAV shows roads in the area but will not navigate on them. What the heck?

Oh well, with the big recalls underway Toyota has enough to worry about.
Old 02-11-10, 01:22 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

it uses main roads when possible so that you wont be stuck on a street with nobody to help
Old 02-13-10, 03:58 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree about updating the maps (if they can send directions via the Enform system why not shoot us a few updates???

Anyway - I think that the 'intelligence' of GPS systems is lacking as a whole. It's so funny when I talk to people that just bought their first GPS system (in car or dash mount) and they put in an addres that they've driven to for years. The GPS invariably takes them on some convoluted path that takes them 3 times as long to get there and they start to curse the thing and swear they'll never use it.

I'm not sure what the exact programming answer is but basically, GPS based navigation is pretty rudimentary these days. I often tell people that GPS directions are great for the 'last mile'. Rarely will it give you the best route (even the options aren't always the best) and if you don't know how to get where you are going, how would you know which route to pick anyway?

I take a trip about once a year and my GPS always takes me a route that I don't prefer. Because I don't drive it often I rarely remember how I would prefer to go so. I need to take a few minutes to program a waypoint to take me via a bridge that would recalculate everything the way I want but I just haven't done that and saved it. I'm pretty tech savvy and I haven't done it so I'm guessing most others might not even know some systems have this option or how to do it. So many people taking longer and using more gas thanks to their GPS systems

What about rating some roadways for congestion, or limiting routes during rush hour - there is plenty of data on a lot of public roads that track taffic. It would be easy to set some times and routes that you woudl want to avoid. But who would know that if they weren't local? I think the mixed reviews on the traffic data from XM and routing around it speak enough on the lack of effectiveness of this feature already but maybe someday . . .

So, while I love any form of GPS over not having it - my advice is this: if you know where you are going, you know traffic volumes and areas to avoid and you know some shortcuts - just use the GPS for that last mile. It's not smarter than you are (at least most of the time it's not) so don't blindly follow the directions and take a route that you know doesn't make sense.

If you are in a new area or don't know your way around - plan on getting directions that aren't the most efficient or timely and enjoy the ride.

Just my $.02!

Jay
Old 02-17-10, 08:16 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Nav in the 2010 RX is very disappointing.

It did not have my houses main address I had to use an address that my house was known by 10 years ago. Our two other cars 05 (g35/LS430) have no problem.

Also I was inputting an address, It was like "NW 94th street" On both the LS and G35 if you were to put in 94th street,then you can choose NW even though its the only selection, but in the RX it just selects 94th street and you don't know if its NW, NE, E, S..ect, it happened to be there was no other Street called 94th, but it was confusing if you know what I mean.
Old 02-24-10, 12:04 PM
yanje03
Rookie

RX10 GPS has very good look when you try to purchase a new car but it also is the worest GPS I have ever known after half year experience. I live in silicon valley Bay Area. I found we always had to use our iphone to verify the RX route during a long trip. sometime it adds 100+ miles easily with no matter shortest time or shortest dest. The map actually is updated however it definitely has a bug for its routing calculation. last time when I reached a T intersection, RX GPS asked me to make left turn. after I made left turn, I checked my iphone and found I actually should make right turn at that intersection. I made a U turn immediately then I found the RX GPS realized it and gave us 70 miles ,1hour 20 mins less to reach the destination. I just wonder why RX GPS can't find the right routing which is suppose to be very mature technology. It is unbelievable to me

I hope they could give it a recall too.

Last edited by yanje03; 02-24-10 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 12:20 PM
chadmarino
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if you can see the details on a route. For example, it does allow me to choose the quickest, shortest, or fastest route, but I cant seem to find a way to see the acutual route turn by turn.

Is this possible?
Old 02-24-10, 01:24 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chadmarino
Does anyone know if you can see the details on a route. For example, it does allow me to choose the quickest, shortest, or fastest route, but I cant seem to find a way to see the acutual route turn by turn.

Is this possible?
Yes. If you get out the NAV book, (it's big) you'll be amazed at the tools it has. I don't live in the inner city so I haven't tried the walking tour yet but have many of the other features. It's a process to get to know it.
Old 02-24-10, 01:32 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chadmarino

Is this possible?
Yes it's all there. You can preview all that you mention in "preview route".