RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

This Noise Is Driving Me Mad - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 03:11 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

True, the latches have sharp edges. I have noticed that even if the tape is damaged (creased/scored/squished), the noise is stopped. I'm looking at other materials now ... I will try a few other types of tape/coatings. I am just happy I found the problem. Even if I have to replace the tape regularly, I can live with that solution. It creates a more solid feel in the car. Pretty amazing that 5 cents worth of tape can create such an improvement in the car. I suspect that this is a common problem on the RX; many might not even realize that it is not normal.

Last edited by UCSB; 12-08-11 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-08-11, 06:38 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Remember the tape is damaged, however, the adhesive remains. This is kind of a pad in and of itself which lasts longer than the tape cover. Think about buying something made of glass and taking off a price tag. BIG pain in the ****. So the adhesive can be your friend, in a way. A more permanent solution, and one that doesn't build up with potential problems over time would be best.
Old 12-09-11, 04:19 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I finished my project to reduce all of the noise of any kind in my RX. In the end, I used this product on the door latch brackets:

http://gorillaglue.com/tapes.aspx

Plus, I added it to the trunk latch bracket also. The Gorilla Tape is tough enough for me and seems to do a good job. I think the 1" roll is a good size for use in the car.

Other noise reduction changes I made included: 1) taping all contact points on the little privacy shelf under the back window (I also considered just taking it out); 2) taping all contact points on the trunk package cover; 3) storing two of my extra cotton towels that match my car interior over the trunk package cover to provide a little weight to keep it in place and muffle any noise from it; 4) taping the contact point for the back seat bracket (in the seat backs) that holds the various upper back seat segments in place.

Last edited by UCSB; 12-29-11 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-10-11, 09:44 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorrilla tape is truly awesome!
Old 12-11-11, 12:45 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

had a rattle inside my driver's door near door handle for months

finally took it to dealer last week

they adjusted door latch striker to pull door closer to body

this seems to have resolved my issue
Old 12-11-11, 02:15 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jskennedy
had a rattle inside my driver's door near door handle for months

finally took it to dealer last week

they adjusted door latch striker to pull door closer to body

this seems to have resolved my issue
I had a slight rattle (almost sounded plastic) that would occur only when the vehicle was cold. After about 10 minutes it would go away. I asked the dealer about it when I was getting my d/s window replaced. The tech took it out for a spin and, of course, didn't hear a rattle but greased various parts of the door. Guess what? No more rattle. My assumption is I have the same issue to will be Gorilla taping the latches if it comes back.
Old 12-13-11, 03:37 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UCSB, can you please provide a few photos of where you applied the Gorilla tape. Thanks!
Old 04-19-12, 09:32 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by everton
New update after a month...The noise is still there, although it is less than before the fix. Still, on rough roads, it can drive you crazy. I'm starting to think that this is impossible to fix, as long as the window trim is made of that plastic thing. Is it possible to replace the whole window trim with one made of different materials?

By the way, I'm surprised that this problem is not experienced by more people. A problem like this can't be limited to only a few cars.
my car doesn't do that but the loud engine is just as annoying. drives me crazy! sounds like im driving a diesel truck!
Old 04-20-12, 07:47 AM
gordanB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have a kind of "puppuppup" sound (difficult to describe) coming right by my left ear - but only at certain high speed/roads. If I press the seal around the window near to the seatbelt side it goes away. Very annoying. It is low volume and intermittent and do diificult for other people to hear.
Old 05-22-12, 12:06 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
I finished my project to reduce all of the noise of any kind in my RX. In the end, I used this product on the door latch brackets:

http://gorillaglue.com/tapes.aspx

Plus, I added it to the trunk latch bracket also. The Gorilla Tape is tough enough for me and seems to do a good job. I think the 1" roll is a good size for use in the car.

Other noise reduction changes I made included: 1) taping all contact points on the little privacy shelf under the back window (I also considered just taking it out); 2) taping all contact points on the trunk package cover; 3) storing two of my extra cotton towels that match my car interior over the trunk package cover to provide a little weight to keep it in place and muffle any noise from it; 4) taping the contact point for the back seat bracket (in the seat backs) that holds the various upper back seat segments in place.
HI UCSB. Thanks for the information. Could you please post some detailed pics to help the rest of us out?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-12, 10:17 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My squeaks and rattles update

Today my 2010 RX's rattles and squeaks are gone (fingers crossed/knock on wood). I bought the car from NorCal but all the work so far was done at Carlsbad Lexus. OK, let's go back about a year ago...

2010: 1st issue - (non-rattle) driver side mirror motor, went bad - replaced. Bumper, dented! Fixed by dealership for free.
2011: 2nd - passenger door squeaks as you open/close the window - replaced entire door.
2012: 3rd - noise, rattle, and squeaks before releasing the brakes, while driving on uneven road, and awhile slowing down and coming to a stop. The annoying sound was like you're driving a loosely built go-cart, which you could hear and feel all the flexing and moving of the vehicle major parts. Well, the passenger door was disected, and additional padding and fastening was accomplished. I don't know what else they did but I hope all the noise is finally gone. I am trying my hardest to like my wife's RX but I might have to take my GX back from her if I keep getting some flexing noise.
2012: 4th - While checking for rattles, the dealership discovered feathering on the tires - alignment performed.
Old 05-29-12, 10:24 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Default Another HUGE reason for road noise found!

As I was reading the body kits thread, I saw this pic. As you can see, there is no sound deadening stuff added on the wheel wells. My previous LX and with my other car, GX had so much rubbery like stuff aounrd the wheel wells the tire and road noise is almost non-existent.

How could Lexus not put even a thin coat of the good stuff on the bottom of the RXs, I really feel that we are shafted given the fact these vehicles are called luxury SUVs.

My question is..

for SoCal residents, do you know of any shop that does undercoating work to reduce road noise? I need to get it done or I'll be miserable driving this RX. Thank you so much for the help.
Old 05-30-12, 07:57 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can pick up undercarriage spray @ you local automotive shop, along with a roll of masking tape

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-30-12, 10:24 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Originally Posted by jskennedy
you can pick up undercarriage spray @ you local automotive shop, along with a roll of masking tape

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Automotive-...389685&sr=8-13
Very good idea, thanks.

Sam
Old 05-31-12, 05:16 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

There has been much said about road noise in earlier threads but it seemed to center on what tires were on the car. Most of the issues I think were on Dunlops. I see in the photo you've changed your wheels and tires to a super low profile that's not a factory option. One has to wonder if that doesn't have something to do with road noise as well. Just saying ....

When ever you do mods like this, you have to expect the car won't handle/sound/be the same as off the factory line.
Originally Posted by LXGXSAM1

As I was reading the body kits thread, I saw this pic. As you can see, there is no sound deadening stuff added on the wheel wells. My previous LX and with my other car, GX had so much rubbery like stuff aounrd the wheel wells the tire and road noise is almost non-existent.

How could Lexus not put even a thin coat of the good stuff on the bottom of the RXs, I really feel that we are shafted given the fact these vehicles are called luxury SUVs.

My question is..

for SoCal residents, do you know of any shop that does undercoating work to reduce road noise? I need to get it done or I'll be miserable driving this RX. Thank you so much for the help.