RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

I'm getting close...another question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 09:43 AM
Revman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting close...another question...

Members,

I posted a week or so ago about whether or not I should consider a base RX while comparison shopping with the Venza. First, let me thank all who responded for the thoughtful and considerate input. My wife and I are very much leaning in the direction of an RX with the Premium Package at this point. However, a question remains...Although the Lexus service is legendary, I have seen some complaints on this forum about the price for all of this service. I am not looking to cut costs in any way, but I was just curious about this issue. Bottom line: Is the cost of owning a Lexus flat insane?

Ryan
Old 02-15-10, 09:50 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus does charge more for service, but the sevice department told me the first service is at 10k. That's a year of driving, at least it's for me.
Old 02-15-10, 10:40 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was told to come in @ 5k for 1st oil/filter change
Old 02-15-10, 11:01 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I was told that the 1000 mile and 5000 mile service were on Lexus and then I start paying after that. I have a 450h.

Bob
Old 02-15-10, 11:41 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the 1000 mile service is free and they just look over everything, you can even skip it but its a free car wash. then you start paying at 5000 miles and every 5000 miles after that. Yes, the service is more expensive (though not compared to mercedes) but you will most likely get a loaner car or you have a nice facility like a nice lounge with wifi and snacks. of course, all of this depends on the dealership you go to.

if you are worried about the long run costs of the service, you should try to work prepaid service into your buying price. Lets say you guys reach a price that you are willing to pay, but is a little high. just tell them you would be fine with this price if they add in prepaid maintenance for however many years and however many miles. I think the will mostly likely give it to you since their parts for these services are negligible.
Old 02-15-10, 11:45 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

The first two services are free which like wyau01 has covered a year for me. Lexus dealers usually post their prices on their website. You might want to check it out and see for yourself. Yes, it's more expensive but I'm only there twice a year. The other major out-of-pocket expenses would be the tires and brakes. Loaners are provided for any service that takes more than an hour (at least for me). The waiting area is pretty nice but what brings me back is how they treat me and my car.

Another thought if you aren't the DIY-type, take it Toyota. The cost is less for virtually the same service. Good luck!
Old 02-15-10, 12:58 PM
audifox
Driver School Candidate

Default Stay away from Toyota/Lexus for a little while..

As a RX 350 owner I feel a little jaded right now with all the problems Toyota/Lexus are having right now. I thought I was buying quality, reliability and safety when I bought a Lexus, now I'm not so sure and I feel I should have stuck with the German marque. If I were in the market for a new vehicle I would stay away from Toyota/Lexus until all these recalls and quality improves and all these problems are well behind them. Time will tell but I definitely don't see these 2 brands the same after this fiasco. Not to mention the depreciation in resale value of these Toyota products. I guess I'll be hanging on to it for awhile.
Old 02-15-10, 02:12 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by audifox
As a RX 350 owner I feel a little jaded right now with all the problems Toyota/Lexus are having right now. I thought I was buying quality, reliability and safety when I bought a Lexus, now I'm not so sure and I feel I should have stuck with the German marque. If I were in the market for a new vehicle I would stay away from Toyota/Lexus until all these recalls and quality improves and all these problems are well behind them. Time will tell but I definitely don't see these 2 brands the same after this fiasco. Not to mention the depreciation in resale value of these Toyota products. I guess I'll be hanging on to it for awhile.
replace Toyota/Lexus with just Toyota, and your post would make a lot more sense. As far as I know, there are no forced recalls on any Lexus model, and none of them are affected by the acceleration/braking problems (except for the HS which shares brake components with the Prius). Really, its time to move on. There is way too much 'scare' from this incident with toyota. I think you'll find your fears to be unfounded.
Old 02-15-10, 02:20 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The RX is now at 10K intervals for oil/ filter change(per Lexus). Synthetic oil is used and has a longer life. Lexus will do a 5K check and rotate and then oil / filter, rotate at 10K. The dealer told me it would be about $200 for a rotate and oil/ filter change. Like the other forum member, it would be a once a year event for me too.
Old 02-15-10, 03:07 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have absolutely no worries about either Toyota or Lexus. They are both way ahead of most every other manufacturer in terms of reliability (going by Consumer Reports). I don't think there is any car maker that hasn't had recalls. I think it's a GREAT time to buy a Toyota.

Regarding the OP's main issue, yes, in general they are more expensive than Non-luxury mfrs but not 'insane'. To me the free loaners are worth their weight in gold. It just makes the whole process so painless, but YMMV. I think RXSF's suggestion of working some free scheduled maintenances in to the deal is an Excellent idea! However, do some research beforehand to find out for sure how many they usually include for everyone.

As far as going to a Toyota rather than Lexus, my wife has a Camry and I have never found their rates to be a bargain(aka reasonable), so we take hers to a local mechanic, which I will do with my Lexus when it's past warranty. (I know I don't have to, but I will).
Old 02-15-10, 04:26 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by audifox
I've owned Toyota products for the last 25 years. Before that I drove German cars, and before that American cars. Hands down you can't beat Toyota products. Take a look around and look at how many Toyota products you see on the road. This problem Toyota has is just a grain of sand to most owners. I'm sure it's more like a boulder to those that have had a problem granted. I'm sure Toyota will make things right for those with problem cars. Like I said, I'm sure us Toyota/Lexus car owners will continue to buy the product, and for good reason. You never know what make or model car will make the next recall. It very well could be a German car next !
Old 02-16-10, 04:40 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, since the OP was comparing a Toyota to a Lexus it would probably be great to stay on topic in terms of that question. I know many are upset about all of the news lately but it appears the OP is sold on one of these cars and is just asking about service costs.

Here's the breakdown: Toyota service vists will traditionally be less than Lexus. You have to compare service intervals to see if the overall cost is cheaper though.

I live almost an hour from my Lexus dealer so I take into consideration that I am paying for the extremely useful pick-up/drop off service of a loaner car that has proven to be priceless in many cases. Is it worth $50 more for an oil change? Only you can determine that yourself.

You can always take your Lexus to a local shop for most of the typical oil change type services and save quite a bit (probably over Toyota's prices even). I would stay away from the quick lube and oil shops - I'm talking a local service station where you know the local person and they have a great reputation.

I just saw a few posts today that show Lexus announcing some form of maintenance plan for your purchase or lease. You should look into these. If that is the case, I believe that your decision becomes MUCH easier - Lexus for similar price vs. a Venza and the Lexus offers free maintenance? That would not be a difficult call for me.

Incidentally, my wife and I looked at the Venza when we were shopping last year. I could immediately tell a difference in the quality of the leather, 'wood' and feel of the car. Not slamming the Venza but it just didn't have the same luxury feel that the RX has. That may not be important to you but it was to us. For a similar price we had an easy decision.

Hope that helps and please let us know what you elect to do!

Jay
Old 02-16-10, 09:43 AM
Sakke
Driver School Candidate

I just got mail from Lexus service that oil change interval is extended to 12 months/10,000 miles (instead of 6 months/ 5,000 miles) when 0W-20 synthetic motor oil is used. They also advised in the letter that the 12 months/10,000 mile service is now complimentary. It means that 3 first services (1,000, 5,000 and 10,000 miles) are free of charge for my RX 450h.

Sakke
Old 02-16-10, 09:50 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Sakke, thanks. I'll look out for my letter. So that would mean a year and half free maintenance for me and then yearly visits to the dealer Another reason to go with the RX
Old 02-17-10, 03:14 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Revman
Members,

I posted a week or so ago about whether or not I should consider a base RX while comparison shopping with the Venza. First, let me thank all who responded for the thoughtful and considerate input. My wife and I are very much leaning in the direction of an RX with the Premium Package at this point. However, a question remains...Although the Lexus service is legendary, I have seen some complaints on this forum about the price for all of this service. I am not looking to cut costs in any way, but I was just curious about this issue. Bottom line: Is the cost of owning a Lexus flat insane?

Ryan
My only Lexus experience was with a RX-300 and now a 10 RX-350. I never thought the service was too pricey on the Lexus, and the loaner cars are worth a little extra. However, my experience over 10 years was that the RX-300 needed virtually no service other than the routine filters/oil changes/etc. There was a burned out brake light.....

Quick Reply: I'm getting close...another question...