RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

nav voice muting

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 10:56 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Upgrading as we speak

Originally Posted by sightdev
all the vehicle settings/customization and address book were preserved. I have about 30 addresses so it would have been a pain to re-enter the addresses. you should call the parts department first to make sure they have the part before approaching the service manager. parts guy told me the map 9.1 for our RX became available in December. I had mine done on 01/14/10. since you have hybrid, you may even have additional updates such as brake issue with hybrid. Both HS and Prius have been officially on the recall list but Camry wasn't even though HS and Camry have exact same mechanical. Hope you get all your updates without any hassle.
As we speak the upgrade should be going on. I'll either pick it up tonight or tomorrow. The email I sent must have started a firestorm. Early this morning the parts dept called and said the 'key' was available so I just drove down there. They put me in a RX350 (with front bumper gaps) and said have a nice day.
BTW, I noticed a bit of wind noise on the way home. Pretty sure it's the rails that aren't on mine .
Old 02-18-10, 03:33 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Surprised you still haven’t had upgraded. I initiated my upgrade after reading your forum. My dealer Pohanka in Chantilly did give me run around so what I did was confirmed with parts department had 9.1 map in flash drive before taking the RX to Service department. Service manager typed in my name and gave me a “run-around” about not having the update so I told him I had already confirmed with the parts department for availability. Few hours later service manager called me and said they couldn’t update the map without firmware upgrade and wanted me to bring the RX back at later date. I told them to keep the RX as long as they wanted because I had a loaner. I don’t know who did what but all I know is that the firmware update was necessary to update the map to 9.1. They said they had to download the new firmware for my RX [04/2009 built date] before they were able to update the map. They claim it took over night from Lexus portal to download the latest firmware to their laptop.

in invoice it is noted as 866991 [Install version 9.1 NAV Firmware to HDD] and PT219-HDDG6-09 [Ver 9.1 GEN6 HDD NAV] with additional note “NEEDED TO LOAD FIRWARE DATA TO THE UPDATE TOOL”.

Only differences I have noticed is the initial screen is “bluer”, there seems to be less vehicle customization [can’t confirm], and music sound near mute during navigation announcement [huge improvement]. It still doesn’t show ice rink in PA we go every summer [but I have it “marked” in address book]. Also, I have not lost connection of iPod since the firmware update [another huge improvement].
Ok, I got mine today. Same as you, it noted that I needed the firmware upgrade 1st. My Ipod was in the house so I haven't tried that yet but I suppose it'll be the same as yours.

I'll post again if I find new changes that haven't been talked about yet. The dealer wants me to call in a few days with comments. Mine is the 1st RX they've done the 9.1 upgrade on. It's a mess there, they're days away from finishing construction on the 'Mega' store and can't wait to start shifting into it.

They have 5 RX 450h models on the next shipment and 4 already are sold.
Old 02-18-10, 07:27 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter

Yikes, no recession in Georgia!!!
Old 02-19-10, 05:59 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, I got mine today. Same as you, it noted that I needed the firmware upgrade 1st. My Ipod was in the house so I haven't tried that yet but I suppose it'll be the same as yours.

I'll post again if I find new changes that haven't been talked about yet. The dealer wants me to call in a few days with comments. Mine is the 1st RX they've done the 9.1 upgrade on. It's a mess there, they're days away from finishing construction on the 'Mega' store and can't wait to start shifting into it.

Awesome that you finally got your upgrade. For most dealers, it would be first for 10RX since only earlier RX had 8.1 map and only few owners would actually know/want to upgrade. Most benefit I would think from this upgrade is the latest firmware which should make it easier in the future.
Old 02-19-10, 07:28 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Default Gonna buy a Lotto ticket today

Awesome that you finally got your upgrade. For most dealers, it would be first for 10RX since only earlier RX had 8.1 map and only few owners would actually know/want to upgrade. Most benefit I would think from this upgrade is the latest firmware which should make it easier in the future.
Last night I almost hung up on an 800 number incoming call (I'm on a no-call list). I answered it anyway and it was Lexus Corp wanting to know how it went (I guess they already got the bill from Nalley ) and apologized for the delay by comping me the 20,000 mile service.

Makes me want to buy a lotto ticket since yesterday the GA Lotto sent me my quarterly 'twofer' offer
Old 02-19-10, 09:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Jim, great for you. Hope you win the lottery

Regarding the iPod issues, I had 9.1 from the beginning and the problem I experience intermittently is when I leave the iPod plugged in, turn off the car and restart the RX a few minutes later. Error message says to consult the manual. Well, the manual says to reset the iPod. That doesn't work. Only thing that does is if I unplug the iPod, restart the RX and plug the iPod back in Tell Lexus Corporate to give me a call
Old 02-19-10, 12:22 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
Jim, great for you. Hope you win the lottery

Regarding the iPod issues, I had 9.1 from the beginning and the problem I experience intermittently is when I leave the iPod plugged in, turn off the car and restart the RX a few minutes later. Error message says to consult the manual. Well, the manual says to reset the iPod. That doesn't work. Only thing that does is if I unplug the iPod, restart the RX and plug the iPod back in Tell Lexus Corporate to give me a call
Anita
I was out and about earlier and took my Ipod in my jacket pocket. The radio found it right away and started in with one of Rita's albums. I was in and out of the car at two different places and it worked as it should and like it never did before . OK, since yours is still doing it and you already had the 9.1 I'm thinking the fix was part of the 'Firmware' upgrade and not in the 9.1. And that makes sense actually because the 9.1 in theory is just the updated map info. Next time you have yours in, ask about a firmware upgrade. And I noticed as 'sightdev' mentioned that there was a minor 'down shift' in the radio volume when the Nav lady talks. She's actually starting to sound pretty good, anybody know where I can meet her ???

One other thing I think might have been part of the 'Firmware' upgrade is the auto sound level. Normally I've been adjusting every time I get on the highway 'cause it works like crap or in reality didn't work at all. I don't remember having to re-adjust it last night or today so maybe they tinkered with that too. Anybody else have feedback on that ???

Last edited by Cruiter; 02-19-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-19-10, 12:50 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

One other thing I think might have been part of the 'Firmware' upgrade is the auto sound level. Normally I've been adjusting every time I get on the highway 'cause it works like crap or in reality didn't work at all. I don't remember having to re-adjust it last night or today so maybe they tinkered with that too. Anybody else have feedback on that ???
your observation is same as mine. I remember before the firmware upgrade, auto-sound would go "crazy" with window down and sometimes on varying road condition. It drove me crazy as i had to constantly adjust the volume up-down. I also tried manual mode but music sounded "hollow" as if it had less speakers. I am definately happy with improvement.
Old 02-19-10, 02:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks Jim and sightdev. I will talk to the dealer and see what they say about the firmware update. Hopefully that will help the iPod and nav muting problems. Wonder if they can switch the lady out for man too
Old 02-19-10, 06:31 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Is there a way to check which firmware is in the system without a diag tool?
Old 02-19-10, 08:04 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wyau01
Is there a way to check which firmware is in the system without a diag tool?
This is just a WAG. Anita's car just came in the 1st of the year and she has Ipod issues too. All of us that had the early builds had the issues and if we got the Firmware update, we don't. If two + two still equals four and you have Ipod issues, you probably don't have the firmware update. To be sure tho, you'll probably need to go see your dealer.

I dropped my car off around 11 in the morning. I don't know what time they started on it but it was done with both the firmware update (which had to be done 1st) and the Nav 9.1 update by 3:45 PM when they called me and said it was heading to the spruce & tidy shop. All of this was after talking with Lexus Corp the day before and telling them the dealer was having trouble ordering the proper key. They initiated a call to the dealer and the next morning the Parts called me with the good news.

Last edited by Cruiter; 02-19-10 at 08:06 PM. Reason: edit
Old 02-19-10, 08:15 PM
jclem
Pole Position

I wonder if you can get the firmware update (in order to fix the Ipod issue) and not get the Nav update? And would the firmware update be free like it is for most video equipment such as dvd players?
Old 02-25-10, 04:59 PM
sophos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the firmware upgrade without the map update. I was told there is a TSB for the firmware so the upgrade was covered under warranty. The map upgrade will cost the usual map upgrade price when I eventually have that done.
Old 02-25-10, 07:55 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sophos, you might want to contact Lexus Customer Service and request the 9.1 map update be done without charge as an accomodation - depends on when you took delivery. My 450h had been on a lot for a couple of months before I took delivery in Dec - but it's the delivery date that counts IMO, not the manufacture date.

Hey its software - doesn't cost Lexus or the dealer more than a tech's time to attach his laptop then remove it xx minutes later - plus a small royalty fee I'm sure to Navtec.
Old 02-26-10, 05:44 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jeffmust
Sophos, you might want to contact Lexus Customer Service and request the 9.1 map update be done without charge as an accomodation - depends on when you took delivery. My 450h had been on a lot for a couple of months before I took delivery in Dec - but it's the delivery date that counts IMO, not the manufacture date.

Hey its software - doesn't cost Lexus or the dealer more than a tech's time to attach his laptop then remove it xx minutes later - plus a small royalty fee I'm sure to Navtec.
So far it seems like everyone that has requested the upgrade on the early builds has been granted it as good will from Lexus Corp. I agree, go ahead and ask. The old adage is 'You don't get it if you don't ask for it'