RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New Brake Override System(BOS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 09:19 AM
raycao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brake Override System(BOS)

Hello all,

My wife and I want to buy 2010 RX350 this spring but seems like Toyota plans to install BOS on their new 2010 vehicle later this year. I know RX350 is not on the re-call list but it would be nice to have BOS for the "just in case" scenario. We are still debuting should we wait for 2011 RX350 or pick up 2010 RX350 after Labor day ... What is your take on this matter? What would you do if you want to get a RX350 this year?

Thanks

- Ray
Old 02-17-10, 10:32 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wouldn't let that stop me. First off, you're right, the RX is not on the recall list. Secondly, if you for whatever reason have a stuck throttle/runaway condition, just drop the tranny into neutral. Lastly, (and I'm just guessing here) I would imagine that Toyota will have a flash for the older model computers to update them to the brake override.
Old 02-28-10, 11:50 AM
JRRRRRR
Driver School Candidate

Default Bos

Just a quick comment on the idea of shifting the tranny into neutral, the witness to Congress last week specifically stated the gear lever in her ES would not respond even though she had pushed it all the way to reverse nor would her Start/Stop button. She also mentioned the Cruise light came on just as the car began to accelerate to over 100 mph, which would indicate a computer malfunction as the potential cause. She further said both feet had the brake pedal completely to the floor and nothing, nothing worked.

Her testamony certainly answers the questions I've had about why the highway patrolman in San Diego with over 20 years of experience could not stop the runaway ES in which he was traveling. It has all been very sobering and it would be a HUGE relief to have Lexus "flash" our memory to include BOS and remove even the hint something like this could ever happen again.

JRRRRRR
Old 02-28-10, 05:32 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JRRRRRR
Just a quick comment on the idea of shifting the tranny into neutral, the witness to Congress last week specifically stated the gear lever in her ES would not respond even though she had pushed it all the way to reverse nor would her Start/Stop button. She also mentioned the Cruise light came on just as the car began to accelerate to over 100 mph, which would indicate a computer malfunction as the potential cause. She further said both feet had the brake pedal completely to the floor and nothing, nothing worked.

Her testamony certainly answers the questions I've had about why the highway patrolman in San Diego with over 20 years of experience could not stop the runaway ES in which he was traveling. It has all been very sobering and it would be a HUGE relief to have Lexus "flash" our memory to include BOS and remove even the hint something like this could ever happen again.

JRRRRRR
Her car was a previous model, not a 2010 RX. For the record if you slip your 2010 RX into N, the tranny will disengage. Try it. If you leave the ignition on, you'll still have pwr steering and brakes (at least on the 450h). If you hold it in for 3 sec, it will all shut down.
Old 02-28-10, 05:38 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JRRRRRR

JRRRRRR

thats one way to interpret her testimony. the other way is that she has no idea what she is talking about putting the car to neutral will ALWAYS disengage the engine from the transmission. putting it to reverse or park will actually do nothing because the computer thinks that you are making a mistake and will not subject the tranny to that kind of abuse.
Old 02-28-10, 07:01 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as I know, there is still a mechanical connection between the shift lever and the transmission, on the ES and the RX so dropping into neutral should work. Some new cars (the Prius and some BMW's come to mind) I think don't have a mechanical conection anymore.
Old 03-01-10, 08:27 AM
gr8330
Rookie

We really do need to know that it is still a mechanical connection before we say putting it into neutral will work.
Old 03-01-10, 08:39 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gr8330
We really do need to know that it is still a mechanical connection before we say putting it into neutral will work.
Uhh, how about I own a 2010 RX450h and tried it. Need to know more ??? Placing it in 'N' w/o turning system off will maintain pwr steering and brakes. As it will already be warmed up, the ICE (internal combustion engine) will stop. Power comes from the traction batteries.
Old 03-01-10, 10:05 AM
RXSF

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Uhh, how about I own a 2010 RX450h and tried it. Need to know more ??? Placing it in 'N' w/o turning system off will maintain pwr steering and brakes. As it will already be warmed up, the ICE (internal combustion engine) will stop. Power comes from the traction batteries.
Cruiter, while i agree that it is a mechanical connection between the gear shifter and the transmission, shifting to neutral will also work on an electronic connection.

The issue here is that if you are experiencing unintended acceleration, a computer malfunction may prevent you from being able to shift to neutral and getting what you want if you have an electronic connection. So the argument here is that we dont know what will happen when the glitch occurs
Old 03-01-10, 10:58 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
Cruiter, while i agree that it is a mechanical connection between the gear shifter and the transmission, shifting to neutral will also work on an electronic connection.

The issue here is that if you are experiencing unintended acceleration, a computer malfunction may prevent you from being able to shift to neutral and getting what you want if you have an electronic connection. So the argument here is that we dont know what will happen when the glitch occurs
RXSF, I read your profile and according to it, you don't own a current model Lexus that would apply to this string in this forum. Based on that, how is it that you can tell us what our cars can or can not do? Also I haven't experienced in 9700+ miles one single thing unintended other than Apples Ipod touch gen 2 not functioning correctly after I tunes gave it a firmware update. Now if I misunderstand what you said then I humbly apologize. What I posted is what I experience when I put it in neutral while moving. Other than that I'm not a technical expert and won't try to tell anyone something I'm not pretty sure about.

Wouldn't you agree that this cloud of Toyota and Lexus problems should be limited to models with the issues rather than speculate just to see what it causes? Our RX model has had no brake our runaway transmission issues reported on the recall website. I'm trying to put out fires that shouldn't exist, it seems others are trying to build them.
Old 03-01-10, 11:30 AM
RXSF

I am trying to put out the fire too. But im trying to explain to you that your previous response doesnt support your case.

Right now, there are two ways that the transmission is connected to the engine.

Mechanical way:

and then an electrical way:

since the RX has a machanical one, the shifter is directly connected to the transmission and therefore will always shifter to neutral when you want it to. Unfortunately, cars like the Prius and the HS250h have an electronic stalk which may or may not prevent the car from shifting into neutral.

So i was agreeing with you above. The issue is that if you had an electronic shifter and were experiencing the acceleration, the car could also be having a malfunction in the electronic tranny shifter and may prevent you from shifting into neutral (which wont happen on the RX)
Old 03-01-10, 11:43 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So does the ES the woman was drive have a mechanical shift or electronic one? If mechanical, the woman does not know what she is talking about. If yes, she may be right.

I heard the testimony of the woman. She said she tried all the gears and nothing work. Well let's see, there is the reverse, park, neutral and drive. The only gear that will make the car slow down is from drive to neutral. She probably tried that but the engine keep on racing and still moving so she thinks its not doing anything and so she tried the other gears. The other gears wouldn't do anything. She did not leave the gear in neutral long enough for the engine to slow down from the weight of the car. Anyway, that is my opinion and pure speculation.

Last edited by LeoDLion; 03-01-10 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 01:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Disclaimer - I am not claiming to be an expert, just offering my observation for what it's worth and for the original poster, Ray. In my 11+ years driving the RX, I have not experienced unintended acceleration or anything remotely similar.
Old 03-01-10, 02:21 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
So does the ES the woman was drive have a mechanical shift or electronic one? If mechanical, the woman does not know what she is talking about. If yes, she may be right.

I heard the testimony of the woman. She said she tried all the gears and nothing work. Well let's see, there is the reverse, park, neutral and drive. The only gear that will make the car slow down is from drive to neutral. She probably tried that but the engine keep on racing and still moving so she thinks its not doing anything and so she tried the other gears. The other gears wouldn't do anything. She did not leave the gear in neutral long enough for the engine to slow down from the weight of the car. Anyway, that is my opinion and pure speculation.
bingo, she doesnt know what shes talking aboit
Old 03-01-10, 02:43 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
I am trying to put out the fire too. But im trying to explain to you that your previous response doesnt support your case.

Right now, there are two ways that the transmission is connected to the engine.

since the RX has a machanical one, the shifter is directly connected to the transmission and therefore will always shifter to neutral when you want it to. Unfortunately, cars like the Prius and the HS250h have an electronic stalk which may or may not prevent the car from shifting into neutral.

So i was agreeing with you above. The issue is that if you had an electronic shifter and were experiencing the acceleration, the car could also be having a malfunction in the electronic tranny shifter and may prevent you from shifting into neutral (which wont happen on the RX)
I'm standing corrected here. Sorry, misunderstanding.

Quick Reply: New Brake Override System(BOS)