RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 12:54 PM
Saurabh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPMs?

Hey Guys,

Is there anyway to see the rpm's on the rx450h? I mean the system that they have is cool and all, however i'd like to know the rpms of the engine.
Old 02-19-10, 01:11 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Saurabh
Hey Guys,

Is there anyway to see the rpm's on the rx450h? I mean the system that they have is cool and all, however i'd like to know the rpms of the engine.
As Scotty on Startrek would say, it's 'Irrelevant' , the power plant won't over rev !!!

Sorry and no, I haven't been in the wine yet. But the sun still hasn't set so ....
Old 02-19-10, 01:29 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the RX450h has a CVT (continuous variable transmission), so it doesn't need a tach. as cruiter mentioned above, the engine can't over rev, so having a tach would be pointless anyway.
Old 02-19-10, 03:07 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are really interested you could purchase a scan gauge which will give you RPM, a whole load of temperatures, motor RPMs, and power flow. For information you could visit scangauge.com or go to priuschat.com and go to their technical discussion. The guys on PriusChat are extremely knowledgeable about the power train and scangauges.

As the others have stated, there is no real need to know the RPM though. I do understand your curiosity and it is very fun to see the motor RPMs as well.
Old 02-19-10, 03:16 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I have had a tach in every car I have owned, going back to my '61 Corvette. It is something that I just got use to. After I purchased my 450h I have found myself looking for it on many occasions. The car is so quiet that there are actually times when I am stopped that I have no way of knowing if the engine is actually running!

It is not a big deal, just another thing to get use to.
Old 02-19-10, 08:14 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I have had a tach in every car I have owned, going back to my '61 Corvette. It is something that I just got use to. After I purchased my 450h I have found myself looking for it on many occasions. The car is so quiet that there are actually times when I am stopped that I have no way of knowing if the engine is actually running!

It is not a big deal, just another thing to get use to.
I could be wrong on this, but to the best of my knowledge, all the hybrids currently available have the CVT tranny's like we do and a similar type of power gauge but not a tach. If anyone knows of one it would be interesting to hear about it.
Old 02-20-10, 09:47 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

You are correct. The "not a big deal" that I mentioned is that when stopped the power guage is at the neutral position and the consumption display in the Nav system shows no energy going anywhere. Thus I do not know if the engine is actually running or not at that point because the car is so quiet you cannot feel anything.

Most of the time, if the car is warmed up, the engine in fact does shut down when you are stopped and you can feel a slight "bump" to the car as it starts. When I first got the 450h this drove me nuts as I always thought the vehicle was stalling at a stop. I have finally gotten use to it and it is always a point of conversation when I have someone new in the vehicle -- I also keep the energy display running since that seems to fascinate everyone.
Old 02-20-10, 10:58 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
You are correct. The "not a big deal" that I mentioned is that when stopped the power guage is at the neutral position and the consumption display in the Nav system shows no energy going anywhere. Thus I do not know if the engine is actually running or not at that point because the car is so quiet you cannot feel anything.

Most of the time, if the car is warmed up, the engine in fact does shut down when you are stopped and you can feel a slight "bump" to the car as it starts. When I first got the 450h this drove me nuts as I always thought the vehicle was stalling at a stop. I have finally gotten use to it and it is always a point of conversation when I have someone new in the vehicle -- I also keep the energy display running since that seems to fascinate everyone.
If your energy display is running, than it's easy to see if the 'ICE' is running. If the orange arrows from it stop, the 'ICE' (engine) is off, plain & simple.
Old 02-20-10, 12:41 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

The engine can be running and the display not showing any lines. If mechanical power is not driving the wheels or the motors, then no orange yet the engine can still be at idle. You can get a good example of this if the car is cold and the battery is charged. In this case no movement of the car, thus no power to the wheels, and no charge needed for the batteries, thus no power to the motors. When the car is warm the engine will shut down at the stop but when cold it will keep running to warm up.
Old 02-20-10, 07:23 PM
gr8330
Rookie

A tach would help me when I use the manual downshift going down steep grades. I'm not sure how low of a gear I can select without over revving the engine.
Old 02-21-10, 01:53 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gr8330
A tach would help me when I use the manual downshift going down steep grades. I'm not sure how low of a gear I can select without over revving the engine.
It is not a manual transmition...any auto trasmition lets u choose a gear that it can rew safely, so just make it as low as it lets u to...
Old 02-22-10, 08:23 AM
gr8330
Rookie

Good point I guess