RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Clearbra - self-install or professionally done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 08:43 AM
timlrx11
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Clearbra for 2011 RX350

Originally Posted by denkigroov
I'm going to go through the same installer my bro-in-law used for his 2010 RX and Mercedes. I think $445 is a pretty reasonable price for the install plus another $95 for front tint. I believe other tint shops were quoting me about $500 plus and they are all pretty much using the same Scotchgaurd 3M brand. Unless someone has a better deal in the Houston area?

Also I've read on other forums regarding the quality of some clearbras where the material may shrink or peel over time, has anyone experienced any issues with theirs?

The installer backs it with a warranty anyways so that's peace of mind for me...
Your quoted price is much better that the quotes that I've got from detailing shop ($695) and dealer ($1,200) in Northern VA area with the Scotchgaurd 3M brand. Both places say that it's a lifetime warranty.

Can anyone in the Northern VA area recommend reputable places with a better deal?
Old 05-23-11, 01:05 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, Anyone in Mass has done this which the dealers, quote for how much?
Thanks guys. The chips from the front are annoying me to think of everyday. I know for next year or 2 years later, I will be " who cares" but for now I do care
Old 05-23-11, 05:56 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installer know how is everything. I had a problem with the port installed. The 'professional' attempt to correct was a disaster. Bubbles and ripples everywhere.
Old 05-23-11, 06:12 PM
timlrx11
Driver

Originally Posted by w4rjd
Installer know how is everything. I had a problem with the port installed. The 'professional' attempt to correct was a disaster. Bubbles and ripples everywhere.
Knowing what you know, would you still recommend the professional install? Wouldn't the pro guarantee their work?
Old 05-23-11, 06:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm sure I would have saved a few bucks if I went to the installer directly rather than go through the dealer. But the lifetime warranty the dealer gave me was enough to spend the extra money. With quality you only cry once
Old 05-23-11, 06:37 PM
timlrx11
Driver

Thank you very much Anita for your assurance. Did you have the full hood installation on yours?
Old 05-23-11, 06:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by timlor
Thank you very much Anita for your assurance. Did you have the full hood installation on yours?
Yes, and the A pillars too.
Old 05-23-11, 06:50 PM
timlrx11
Driver

Thanks for your quick response.
Old 05-23-11, 09:30 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
Also, Anyone in Mass has done this which the dealers, quote for how much?
Thanks guys. The chips from the front are annoying me to think of everyday. I know for next year or 2 years later, I will be " who cares" but for now I do care
i'll get you a quote sometime in the morning
Old 05-24-11, 04:45 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes

Originally Posted by timlor
Knowing what you know, would you still recommend the professional install? Wouldn't the pro guarantee their work?
I sure would. Make sure the metal is cool. Make sure you read the guarantee first.
Old 05-24-11, 06:33 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 1/2 of the hood. So far, so good. No damage above the bra line.

Except on the roof!! I've got two chips on that section of roof in front of the moonroof or sunroof, whichever it is!! They are right at the juncture off the roof and the windshield. So sort of wish that section of roof was covered by bra.

Only one word of advice. Don't touch the bra when it is hot. Very susceptible to damage when hot since it's soft. Oh and tape over the edge when you wax. That edge is like a wax magnet.

People have suggested wrapping the edges of the hood to prevent chips right at the edge of the bra. I'm just curious who well the plastic holds up being stretched over an edge.
Old 05-24-11, 08:09 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I have 1/2 of the hood. So far, so good. No damage above the bra line.

Except on the roof!! I've got two chips on that section of roof in front of the moonroof or sunroof, whichever it is!! They are right at the juncture off the roof and the windshield. So sort of wish that section of roof was covered by bra.

Only one word of advice. Don't touch the bra when it is hot. Very susceptible to damage when hot since it's soft. Oh and tape over the edge when you wax. That edge is like a wax magnet.

People have suggested wrapping the edges of the hood to prevent chips right at the edge of the bra. I'm just curious who well the plastic holds up being stretched over an edge.
A good quality film would hold up well around the edges. The film is flexible enough to conform to different curves. I have had the clear bra with wrapped edges for more than 5 years and they are as goo as Day 1.
Old 05-26-11, 06:40 AM
clearbraj
Driver School Candidate

Q : Why is there a difference in cost between installers? A : There are five factors which affect the overall cost of a paint protection film installation: experience, film, pattern design, coverage and location. Consider all these issues when deciding on an installation shop.

Prices are based on the use of top-quality films, superior film kit designs, job complexity, fair labor costs, and our attention to detail. Many companies often rely on limited experience, non-certified installers, inferior films, poorly-designed kits and low pricing to obtain customers. We work one-on-one with our clients to tailor fit their coverage requirements to their specific needs.

1. Experience - The installation of paint protection films is a trade, through experience and training you gain the knowledge and understanding on how to install kits properly. Use a Certified Professional Installer - these are professionals which install kits for a living - not a sideline. These installers have been trained and approved by film/design houses, they have a full understanding of the pattern design criteria and how it is intended to fit and look on each respective vehicle. Each pattern design house has nuances and a Certified Professional Installer has a full understanding of design criteria which will make for a better installation and fitment. Would you want an installer who does installations on a part-time basis or one who did not want to become certified or does not cater to your specific protection requirements? Do you want your paint protection film cut directly on the vehicle when the alignment points do not line up with vehicles lines or does not use a pre-cut pattern? Experience, skill and knowledge by a Certified professional Installer, plus the cleanliness of the installation area, shop ethics, and a warranty over and above the film manufacturer’s warranty, is what every client should expect and get. Do not assume a shop in business for 10 or 15 years has 10 or 15 years of expertise.

Remember the key to a great fitment vs. poor fitment is the “Installation” - you pay for this expertise along with high-end pattern design and film type. There is no excuse for poor workmanship, installers not trained and certified will install paint protection film without your high standards in mind, many do not even know what a professional installation looks like. No client should accept a poor installation!

2. Film Types
Non-Coated Films
“Non-Coated” is manufactured with one layer of urethane and does not have a top coat or hard coat finish. These films will have a paper liner. This type of film have longevity issues a wear and tear perspective. (staining, discoloration, dulling and abrasion etc.) These films require increased maintenance. We recommend these film for fleet vehicles and not recommended for daily drivers. This film is what is currently installed as factory OEM materials on lower body panels etc.

Coated Films
“Standard Top Coat Finish” is manufactured with coated layer over the base urethane film. These films will have a paper liner. This type of film offers a balance between visual appeal, maintenance and cost. These films require additional maintenance over “Premium Top Coat and Clear Coat Finish” films.

"Premium Top Coat Finish" is manufactured with denser urethane infused coating. These films usually have a plastic liner (more expensive to manufuacturer). This film offers no orange peel with superior clarity. This film is offered for the most discriminate client. Offers ease of maintenance and cleaning and high gloss and improved invisibility.

“Clear Coat Finish” is manufactured with with hard coated layer over the base urethane film (similar to the clear coat on your vehicle’s paint). This films will have a paper liner. This film offers ease of maintenance and cleaning. This film is durable, high gloss for an overall daily driver.

How you drive, your local climate, paint color, paint surface texture and budget will affect film choice. Some films may perform better in one climate than another. The vehicles' paint texture may lend itself to a specific film choice.

Note: In Florida, the love bug enzymes attack the paint and etch the surface. We highly recommend the 3M, Nano Fusion and XPEL Ultimate films for Florida residents for the highest level of durability and least maintenance during the seasonal love bug attacks - these products is great all around the country!

3. Pattern Design – compare apples to apples on your pattern coverage’s. In many cases, the patterns do not fit properly or are piece-meal (numerous parts for ease installation at the expense of looks). These patterns can involve trimming and cutting with razor blades. This leads to poor coverage (protection). Many of these patterns are great for the entry level installer at the sacrifice of the client’s coverage and fitment. Many new installers entering the market come from the tinting industry or trying to supplement their income using free patterns rather than investing in top of the line pattern design company(s).

4. Coverage – Understand how much coverage (protection) is being offered? Is the bumper coverage fender to fender or pure frontal coverage? Is the hood really protected in the right places? We offer optional coverage patterns for the hood, fenders, bumpers, a-pillars, rockers, splash areas, roof, etc? We offer hood/fender kits 6”, 12”, 18”, 24”, 30”, 48 or even 60" (full coverage). We offer an option to (wrap) hide edge lines on hoods, fenders and bumpers. We also offer removal of emblems, headlight washers, tow hook covers, grills etc. so there are no visual edges around these components. Great option since it eliminates edges and looks the best. We design a protection package for your vehicle.

5. Location - Location of the installation is very important. Do you want your installation in a bodyshop bay or a dusty/sandy garage with poor lighting? These locations lead to excess debris under the film and poor alignment. We install your kit in our certified air conditioned installation facility with lighting equal to a hockey rink. This allows us to install paint protection films virtually debris free with proper alignments.

Last edited by clearbraj; 05-26-11 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Cause I can.
Old 06-20-11, 08:42 AM
Carlitosr1
Driver School Candidate

Default Clear bra

For those of you with a new rx 350 DO NOT get the clear bra at the dealer..I myself did some research. I live in Washington state but I am sure there is somewhere where ever you live at. Here is the deal the dealership marks the kit up alot..for example they wanted 1250 for the kit..I did the research and found it at 799.00 plus tax.

So if u live in the Seattle-Tacoma area look up Accutint in Bellevue. They are nice people and only use 3m product. Also they window tint..so I am getting the front windows matched..he put a meter on the back and it registered at 20%, so they are matching it.

So all of this for 975 and some change..the dealer wanted 250 for two front windows...crazy.

So I will update later with photos, so send me a message if u need more info. Peace and safe driving.

Well got it done. Here is photos of the window tint and clear bra...By the way according to the tint shop using a meter the rear windows are 18%...
Attached Thumbnails Clearbra - self-install or professionally done?-photo.jpg   Clearbra - self-install or professionally done?-img_0572.jpg   Clearbra - self-install or professionally done?-img_0571.jpg   Clearbra - self-install or professionally done?-img_0574.jpg  

Last edited by Carlitosr1; 06-21-11 at 11:18 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old 07-10-11, 10:09 PM
cookie123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timlrx11
Your quoted price is much better that the quotes that I've got from detailing shop ($695) and dealer ($1,200) in Northern VA area with the Scotchgaurd 3M brand. Both places say that it's a lifetime warranty.

Can anyone in the Northern VA area recommend reputable places with a better deal?
Did you find one? I'm also looking for someone in Norther VA for my car!

Quick Reply: Clearbra - self-install or professionally done?