RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 Low Gas MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 09:22 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Low Gas MPG

Ok, so I just finished my first tank of gas in my new 2010 RX AWD. The car came with a full tank of gas compliments of the dealership so I'm assuming they filled it up with the recommended octane. I can't believe the average MPG showing on my dash is 12.9. I did mostly local driving, but this seems extremely low for a brand new car that is supposed to average at least 18 for city driving.

Is this possible?
Old 03-04-10, 09:44 AM
mafialink
Driver School Candidate

Do you have a heavy foot? I like to play the game with the ECO meter and try to keep it between the lines.... :-)
Old 03-04-10, 10:17 AM
paulmj
Driver School Candidate

I have the mileage computer set since the car was new, more than 4000 miles ago. I'm averaging 22.3 mpg, all kinds of driving. About half the miles were at speeds around 80 mph across the desert interstates.
Old 03-04-10, 11:30 AM
euroja153
Driver

Originally Posted by ChitChat
Ok, so I just finished my first tank of gas in my new 2010 RX AWD. The car came with a full tank of gas compliments of the dealership so I'm assuming they filled it up with the recommended octane. I can't believe the average MPG showing on my dash is 12.9. I did mostly local driving, but this seems extremely low for a brand new car that is supposed to average at least 18 for city driving.

Is this possible?
Mine is the same as yours. This has been discussed before.
Old 03-04-10, 03:37 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Ok, so I just finished my first tank of gas
There's your problem. Seriously, you took the computer estimate off your FIRST tank of gas and complaining?
Old 03-04-10, 05:24 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You car may get the better MPG later. Try to properly record down all the MPG per tank. You probably will see the improvement in the next few hundred of miles.

Btw, where do you usually drive? If in Manhattan, that number seems quite normal with the big foot. Some ppl got even worse.

Remember - 18 MPG in City isn't applied to everyone. It's hard for most of ppl to replicate the similar environmental factors. Someone will get better than 18; others will get worse.

EPA says "The city and highway tests are currently performed under mild climate conditions (75 degrees F) and use acceleration rates and driving speeds that EPA believes are generally lower than those experienced by drivers in the real world. Neither test is run with the use of accessories, such as air conditioning."
Old 03-04-10, 06:21 PM
ChitChat
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
There's your problem. Seriously, you took the computer estimate off your FIRST tank of gas and complaining?
Sorry if I'm a little ignorant for taking the first tank of gas estimate seriously. This is my first luxury vehicle and I thought the mpg calculations were almost accurate, give or take a little. Not sure why the mileage would change the more I drive? I thought being it's a new car it would be the best mpg right now.
Old 03-04-10, 06:24 PM
ChitChat
Rookie

Btw, where do you usually drive? If in Manhattan, that number seems quite normal with the big foot. Some ppl got even worse.

Most of my driving is on Long Island . . . local suburban streets during the week mixed with highways on the weekends.
Old 03-04-10, 06:32 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Most of my driving is on Long Island . . . local suburban streets during the week mixed with highways on the weekends.
There is very high chance your MPG will go better after a few tanks. Give it a try before you toss away this car.
Old 03-04-10, 07:55 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Dealer may not have topped off the tank!

You should not assume that your tank was completely filled. I can drive my RX a long time before the needle moves off the "F".
Old 03-04-10, 08:01 PM
jclem
Pole Position

I have no idea how the car calculates the mpg, but it's never been even remotely close to my own tank-by-tank numbers over the 8 months I've had the car. I pay no attention to it. I'd say I average 19-20 but less in the winter months--16-17.
Old 03-04-10, 08:23 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this possible?
Yes. Our 2004 and 2007 RX's averaged better fuel economy. With the same driving habits the 2010 seems to be getting about 5 mpg less. I would have thought the extra gear transmission would have at least kept the mileage the same.
Old 03-05-10, 05:49 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With a new car being picked up, the dealer spends some time going over the features. Chances are, to keep the battery from running down, the vehicle was running during the demonstration. During that time, you were getting 0 mpg which will be averaged in to whatever values you get while actually driving so the average will be artificially low. The same occurs if you make changes, listen to the radio, etc. while idling wihtout moving. Make sure you reset the average values when you fill up and start tracking from there being concious of non-essential idle time.
Old 03-05-10, 06:11 AM
mafialink
Driver School Candidate

Good point Ziggy. Don't judge your MPG off the first tank. Give it at least 10 tanks and take the average.

Originally Posted by ziggy1
With a new car being picked up, the dealer spends some time going over the features. Chances are, to keep the battery from running down, the vehicle was running during the demonstration. During that time, you were getting 0 mpg which will be averaged in to whatever values you get while actually driving so the average will be artificially low. The same occurs if you make changes, listen to the radio, etc. while idling wihtout moving. Make sure you reset the average values when you fill up and start tracking from there being concious of non-essential idle time.
Old 03-05-10, 07:41 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 510 Likes on 382 Posts

I would not assume that the Lexus dealer filled it with premium. Any new car will not get near the best milage until it is broken in. Give it some time and relax and enjoy!

Quick Reply: 2010 Low Gas MPG