RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Internal Hard Drive for MP3s

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 06:03 PM
BHart882
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal Hard Drive for MP3s

Anyone know any good sites/sources for third party internal hard drives (non navigation related) that will store and play MP3s through the USB port for the 2010 RX350? I saw another thread from a vendor, but I'm not sure what that item does exactly, except improve iPod connectivity.

I have so much music that I'd prefer to store 15-20 gigs of music permanently rather than connect my iPhone or iPod every time. Moreover this is one add-on that I doubt will have any negative effect when it comes to resale value.
Old 03-04-10, 06:08 PM
mafialink
Driver School Candidate

Why dont you use any usb hard drive?
Old 03-04-10, 06:25 PM
BHart882
Driver School Candidate

That's a good question. I guess that will be my most likely option. If on the rare chance, that someone has one that I can store in a hidden, secure spot that would be great. I'd prefer to leave the center storage console available for other stuff and not worry about carrying the HD with me during situations like valet parking (unfortunately, I've been the victim of thefts by unscrupulous valet parkers on a couple occasions.)
Old 03-04-10, 09:33 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

The USB port is so buried down in the center console, you won't have to worry about theft! Just pop it in there, put the tray over the compartment and close the drawer. I put my entire music library on a $40 16GB thumb drive and leave it in there.
Old 03-05-10, 05:44 AM
mafialink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by krypttic
The USB port is so buried down in the center console, you won't have to worry about theft! Just pop it in there, put the tray over the compartment and close the drawer. I put my entire music library on a $40 16GB thumb drive and leave it in there.

16GB Thumb Drive ------- $40.00
All the pireted music ----- Priceless !
Old 03-05-10, 08:59 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by BHart882
Anyone know any good sites/sources for third party internal hard drives (non navigation related) that will store and play MP3s through the USB port for the 2010 RX350? I saw another thread from a vendor, but I'm not sure what that item does exactly, except improve iPod connectivity.

I have so much music that I'd prefer to store 15-20 gigs of music permanently rather than connect my iPhone or iPod every time. Moreover this is one add-on that I doubt will have any negative effect when it comes to resale value.
VML can support internal HDD functionality. Internal HDD installs inside the VML and you can add/edit/remove your library through USB port on the VML.
Old 03-05-10, 10:31 AM
mafialink
Driver School Candidate

I thought my 2010 RX already allows me to browse through the library.
Old 03-05-10, 11:17 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by mafialink
I thought my 2010 RX already allows me to browse through the library.
Can you install an internal HDD into your RX and browse through your music library from an internal HDD?
Old 03-05-10, 11:39 AM
mafialink
Driver School Candidate

dunno. i will check tonight. I know I can with my iphone when its plugged into the usb.

Originally Posted by VaisTech
Can you install an internal HDD into your RX and browse through your music library from an internal HDD?
Old 03-05-10, 02:37 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by mafialink
dunno. i will check tonight. I know I can with my iphone when its plugged into the usb.
Please check and let us all know if you don't mind. You can definitely browse your library from iPhone using factory USB, very slow but you can. But I think this post started by BHart882 is about internal HDD installed in the RX.
Old 03-06-10, 08:07 AM
BHart882
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VaisTech
Please check and let us all know if you don't mind. You can definitely browse your library from iPhone using factory USB, very slow but you can. But I think this post started by BHart882 is about internal HDD installed in the RX.
Yes that is correct, but after reading the first few responses, I think I already had it mind to use a large USB flash drive and stuff it down in the little USB bin.

I still would prefer a third party IHD that has configured software designed for the Lexus that would improve access speed, menu management, etc along with a good place to store it, but maybe that's too much to ask for.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Btw, for those using the USB flash route, how have you organized your folders including subdirectories?

I read that there is a 255 file limit per folder. What method have you found the most convenient? Alphabetical, Genre, Artist, etc?

Last edited by BHart882; 03-06-10 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-21-10, 11:21 AM
spon
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone. Is there a trick to getting the USB to work with flash drives? I've tried 3 different flashdrives in multiple formats and none of them are recognized at all. I am able to play via my iphone with no problem. any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old 03-21-10, 04:08 PM
maakaveli
Driver School Candidate

Yes that is correct, but after reading the first few responses, I think I already had it mind to use a large USB flash drive and stuff it down in the little USB bin.

I still would prefer a third party IHD that has configured software designed for the Lexus that would improve access speed, menu management, etc along with a good place to store it, but maybe that's too much to ask for.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Btw, for those using the USB flash route, how have you organized your folders including subdirectories?

I read that there is a 255 file limit per folder. What method have you found the most convenient? Alphabetical, Genre, Artist, etc?
I have about 900 songs in mine with a 16 GB Flash drive, organize by artist

And I just had a question for you, is there a way to scroll through file/folder when moving (the list that shows 5 songs/folders) ? I find that is really annoying and I see no point to why you can't do that...
(If you don't understand what I mean, when you click on Audio -> USB it says song, artist, folder and what I was wondering was when you click on the File or Folder icon to the right)
Old 03-21-10, 04:35 PM
BHart882
Driver School Candidate

I am still using my iPhone. Haven't decided to go the flash drive route for precisely the reasons you mention: the ability to manage and select songs in an easy fashion.

I think I'm going to use a low cost 16gb mp3 player or iPod Nano 16gb, solely for use with the car. It's not the optimum solution but I want something that will store the songs in convenient and multiple categories that allow me to find songs easily when I'm driving (e.g. by genre, or different playlists for when I'm in a mellow or conversely, upbeat mood). These are things which you can't do with a flash drive.
Old 03-21-10, 08:01 PM
Orbit
Rookie

I am still using my iPhone. Haven't decided to go the flash drive route for precisely the reasons you mention: the ability to manage and select songs in an easy fashion.

I think I'm going to use a low cost 16gb mp3 player or iPod Nano 16gb, solely for use with the car. It's not the optimum solution but I want something that will store the songs in convenient and multiple categories that allow me to find songs easily when I'm driving (e.g. by genre, or different playlists for when I'm in a mellow or conversely, upbeat mood). These are things which you can't do with a flash drive.
That's why I use the iPod instead of a flash drive. I want to access my music in a number of ways, by artist, album, and playlist.

Ideally, I've have all my music on a single device. 32 gb would do it for me. But the Lexus controls make it so difficult and slow to navigate that there's no benefit. It would take me five minutes to find a particular song.

Quick Reply: Internal Hard Drive for MP3s