RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Initial impression

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 08:43 PM
lalin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial impression

We got delivery of our AWD RX about a week ago and although there are many things to like, I am a bit dissapointed with a few issues.
On the plus side, the car is really great looking with a beatifully finished interior. Although I did not push it hard yet, acceleration sems very adequate.
My biggest problem is that the engine while idling or running is not half as silent as I was expecting from Lexus. I even venture to say that my 2005 Pilot is quieter. Fuel consumption is in the 14 mpg range with mixxwd driving, but I guess it is a bit early to make a judgement on this.
The other issues I have with the car are some interior design flaws that fall in the unbelievable category. Let's begin with the bottomless cavern under the arm rest. In order to use the USB or aux you need to remove two crappy trays (with coins, keys, etc), get the bucket out, thread the cable through a tiny hole and connect it to the bottom and then put everything together again...
Design flaw number two is the omission of back light on all the controls mounted in the roof. It is ironic that in the dark you need to fumble trying to find the buttons that turn on the lights!
Design flaw number three is the cup holder on the left o the steering wheel. Didn't the deigners realize that there are already two in the center console?! A coon holder would have been much better use, especially after problem number one.
Am I to picky, or other folks out there agree with me?
Old 03-06-10, 09:00 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your #1 and 2, many of drivers have blamed Lexus for the designs. Low and unaccessible outlet/USB locaitons do kill ppl. The lack of illuminated buttons on the top does create lots of problems, too.

To me, the cup holder on the left is quite ok...

You may see even lower MPG if driving in Manhattan daily.

Check out this thread which has all the pro/con stuff you want to know. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ut-our-rx.html

Last edited by rxets; 03-06-10 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Not MGP, but MPG...
Old 03-06-10, 09:15 PM
paulmj
Driver School Candidate

The "cup holder" on the left side is actually a water bottle holder. Also, in the door pockets on the rear doors. The owner's manual describes it just that way. The center consoles, front and rear, are designed to hold cups.

The cavernous center console is one of those things you get used to and accept, and a week or two after you own the vehicle, you get over it.
Old 03-06-10, 11:10 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Well said, a water bottle holder.

Btw, I have plugged the USB extension cable, BlackBerry car charger, and laptop car charger over there permanently. So far, I haven't removed those plugs in the past 11 months.

Sometimes I do feel annoyed that someone on my car likes to "borrow" the power to charge their items... 'cause I don't want to lift it up and do all the works. I tell them there is the available outlet in my trunk.
Old 03-06-10, 11:39 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lalin
My biggest problem is that the engine while idling or running is not half as silent as I was expecting from Lexus.?
The 3.5 in your Lexus RX350 is the Toyota 3.5 corporate motor. Not exactly designed for Lexus it is designed for use in pretty much everything Toyota makes that is not body of frame design. The 3.5 DI motors are made exclusively for Lexus which are still based on the 3.5 in your Lexus.

Another thing about the 3.5 is that it uses a chain instead of a belt. I have noticed that the 3.5 is not as quiet as the 3.3 it replaces. It certainly is not as quiet as my 4.7, my dad's 4.7 or my gfs 4.3.

With that all being said. The 3.5 by Toyota is an outstanding motor. It simply is. It might be one of the best Toyota motors ever built and I certainly like it.
Old 03-07-10, 06:26 AM
jay_man2
Rookie

Originally Posted by paulmj
The "cup holder" on the left side is actually a water bottle holder. Also, in the door pockets on the rear doors. The owner's manual describes it just that way. The center consoles, front and rear, are designed to hold cups.

The cavernous center console is one of those things you get used to and accept, and a week or two after you own the vehicle, you get over it.
The cup holder on the dash clearly says it's a cup holder when you pop the door open. Bottle holders are in the door pockets, but that cup holder in the dash is clearly a cup holder.
Old 03-07-10, 08:00 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jay_man2
The cup holder on the dash clearly says it's a cup holder when you pop the door open. Bottle holders are in the door pockets, but that cup holder in the dash is clearly a cup holder.
potato...potawto-- who cares what it's called, use it for whatever you want?? Sometimes I even put a CAN in there
Old 03-07-10, 09:12 AM
jclem
Pole Position

I agree regarding the inaccessibility of the outlets, but people seem to have gotten around that by using "extension cords". I definitely think they could've/should've put an outlet down in that "pass-thru" area--where gen 2 had one.

As for the cavernous console space, I found it's a great place to stick the mammoth owners manual, which in turn frees up the glove compartment. It's kind of like the kitchen cabinet over the 'fridge, that holds stuff you want to have nearby 'just in case'. I have found ways to make good use out of the "crappy" trays--pens, paper, ipod, tissue, coins, chapstick, gloves, cds. You'll fill them soon.

The ceiling console lighting should've been done better, but you get used to where things are.
Enjoy and welcome to the club!

Last edited by jclem; 03-07-10 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-07-10, 11:01 AM
paulmj
Driver School Candidate

The owner's manuals are best located in the pass-through space in the forward area of the console, near the floor. They fit very well there and free up other space that could be better utilized.
Old 03-07-10, 11:21 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

The owner's manuals are best located in the pass-through space in the forward area of the console, near the floor. They fit very well there and free up other space that could be better utilized.
True, it says to put it in there in the owner's manual
Old 03-07-10, 12:53 PM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jclem
potato...potawto-- who cares what it's called, use it for whatever you want?? Sometimes I even put a CAN in there
i agree lol, i use it as my cellphone holder since i dont like keeping it in my pocket
Old 03-07-10, 02:41 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jclem
Exactly. Mine has held a thermo coffee cup, a bottle of water, and most days my cell phones sits there nicely rather than uncomfortable on my belt.
Old 03-07-10, 03:02 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lexus has always had a issue with backlighting, they get lazy. However, they end up fixing it in later years of the model. I expect to see backlighting soon.

As for the power and usb outlets, I believe it is meant to be a one time thing and then you are suppose to leave it connected. they even include the little pass through for the wire so you can put your ipod/phone in the center console cup holders.
Old 03-07-10, 05:39 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that once you settle in tho the RX you adapt to the way things are situated. You run your cables and your not pulling the box in and out like you do at first. The cup/whatever holder by the drivers door I have started using just recently as I like to keep the door closed on the console cup holder so I can see the wood. As far as the overhead controls, I programmed the middle button for the garage door and just aim for the pin light that is up there.
All in all I would do it again, I love my RX.
Old 03-07-10, 06:37 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Our salesperson suggested that women have been stashing their purses in that pass-thru. We've been using it for small bags after shopping and, during winter, for hats and gloves. Our manual is tucked down deep in the console cavern under the bins.

Quick Reply: Initial impression