RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New owner and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 09:43 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New owner and a few questions

First off, I bought a 2010 RX350 AWD for my wife last Friday. Interesting situation. Some guy bought it, kept it for a month and 1,400 miles, decided he wanted a sportier car, and traded it against a 2010 Infiniti G37 coupe. Worse, a week later he realized he'd have preferred the sport package and traded again for a G37S coupe! Literally more dollars than sense! Anyway, his loss was our gain as we got an absolutely unbelievable deal on essentially a brand new car!

My first question is whether there have been any recalls for this model. I researched this a bit beforehand and it didn't look like it was subject to either of the major Toyota/Lexus recalls, but I'd prefer to ask here just to make sure. I'm happy to take it in to have anything done that needs to be done since this will be my wife's primary driver.

My second question is about the XM and iPod integration with the navigation screen. So far it definitely seems to be a bit lacking. In my previous Audi S4 and my new Infiniti G37S sedan, I'm able to lock the screen on an audio input if I'm not in the process of navigating somewhere. Even better, during navigation on my G37S I can split the screen between navigation instructions and audio info with artist/title info on one part of the screen and info about the next few turns below that. Is there any way to do that? Also, just getting to the screen that shows audio info (XM station text, MP3 artist/title info, etc.) seems cumbersome...press the "Menu" button, point at "Audio" and click, possibly click "Text" if it's not showing the current song. Worse, after a minute or so it switches back to the map! If this is an RTFM thing, please just say so, but in scanning the quick reference guide I didn't see anything helpful.

Overall, though, we're elated with this new vehicle! It's gorgeous, comfortable, full of fun gadgets, etc.

Thanks much for any insights on these questions,
Scott
Old 03-08-10, 10:06 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCWells72
Anyway, his loss was our gain as we got an absolutely unbelievable deal on essentially a brand new car!

My first question is whether there have been any recalls for this model.

...I'm able to lock the screen on an audio input if I'm not in the process of navigating somewhere.Is there any way to do that?
Congrats!!!!

Absolutely not. No recalls.

I don't think so..
Old 03-08-10, 10:59 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a setting in the 'general set up' area where you can keep the screen from reverting back to the map all the time. It should be the second one down saying 'map screen'. Anytime you want the map back you just push the map button on the mouse.

Enjoy the new ride.

No Recalls.
Old 03-08-10, 11:13 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MEP7557
There is a setting in the 'general set up' area where you can keep the screen from reverting back to the map all the time. It should be the second one down saying 'map screen'. Anytime you want the map back you just push the map button on the mouse.

Enjoy the new ride.

No Recalls.
Great. Thanks! I'll change that setting this evening. I wish there were a dual-mode display for when you're navigating and listening to music, but at least during long stretches of highway you can switch to the audio screen.
Old 03-08-10, 01:01 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I had the same problems but eventually found the setting to keep the audio screen up. I eventually got use to it but I also have an Audi A6. If they could just put the Audi and Lexus engineers in the same room for a while, I think they would come up with one dynamite system!!
Old 03-08-10, 01:06 PM
mafialink
Driver School Candidate

Great. Thanks! I'll change that setting this evening. I wish there were a dual-mode display for when you're navigating and listening to music, but at least during long stretches of highway you can switch to the audio screen.
Agreed. I learned to live with it and use the controls on the steering wheel to control the radio stations when i have the map up. the stations do pop up for about 2 seconds on the top of the nav screen
Old 03-08-10, 01:11 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Yeah, I've been really impressed by what Infiniti has done in terms of the nav/satellite/iPod/hands-free phone integration in their cars as well, at least based on my 2010 model year that was definitely upgraded in many ways. My one real complaint is that it still disables quite a few functions when the car is in motion, though you can generally still accomplish those tasks using voice recognition. Nonetheless, most of the time it's a passenger in the car who would be doing those things, not the driver.
Old 03-08-10, 01:16 PM
mafialink
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I've been really impressed by what Infiniti has done in terms of the nav/satellite/iPod/hands-free phone integration in their cars as well, at least based on my 2010 model year that was definitely upgraded in many ways. My one real complaint is that it still disables quite a few functions when the car is in motion, though you can generally still accomplish those tasks using voice recognition. Nonetheless, most of the time it's a passenger in the car who would be doing those things, not the driver.
Speaking of voice commands. does anyone have a full list?
Old 03-08-10, 01:23 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mafialink
Speaking of voice commands. does anyone have a full list?
There was a decent list in the manual, but I doubt it's comprehensive. For example, after I used voice recognition to dig down into making a phone call to a person by name, it told me that I could instead do, "Call <name> <type>" (e.g., "Call Joe Smith mobile") as a shortcut. I don't think that was listed in the manual. I'd be very interested in this as well...
Old 03-08-10, 01:27 PM
mafialink
Driver School Candidate

Yea, i am looking for the fastest way to dial a number. If i remember the book correctly, it told me to click dial by number... then wait, then say dial xxx-xxx-xxxx.

I would rather just say, dial xxx.xxx.xxxx
Old 03-09-10, 07:07 PM
RA122022
Driver School Candidate

You can just say "call xxx.xxx.xxxx"
instead of "dial by number",... number...

or even 'call <contact name>" if you have imported contacts.
Old 03-09-10, 07:14 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

No recalls....
The Lexus Nav has always been just a step behind many others. Seems to be the only shortcoming that I can think of. The most shocking thing is that my 2010 Navigator with the Sync smokes the Lexus Nav system. The Lincoln is quiet and rides smooth but that is about where it ends. Much better than our 03 but now I am off subject. Nice selection on the RX.
Old 03-10-10, 02:52 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Just serviced my rx350 10,000, they said there was a recall with some a/c hose ,sorry dont have specifics, they fixed it without a problem
Old 03-10-10, 03:18 PM
pulp
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusVet
Just serviced my rx350 10,000, they said there was a recall with some a/c hose ,sorry dont have specifics, they fixed it without a problem
i think you mean the service notice for replacement of the rubber oil hose, as far as i know that is only for 2nd Gen RX. the new RX has a metal pipe.
Old 03-11-10, 12:20 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pulp
i think you mean the service notice for replacement of the rubber oil hose, as far as i know that is only for 2nd Gen RX. the new RX has a metal pipe.
To be more specific its a 2010 RX and they a/c wire harness had to be changed this was done when I brought the car in for my regular manintenance