RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

TPMS and extra set of wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 11:04 AM
BillON1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS and extra set of wheels

I think I'm starting to understand this but I'm still unsure that my dealer is giving me the right answers.

Here's the situation, I have a second set of Lexus supplied tires/rims for the winter. When I installed the winters I reset the TPMS using the button under the dash as per the instructions in the manual. All was fine for a week or so and then I got a TPMS warning light. I reset again and the warning dissappeared but then re-appeared. I took the car in for an oil change and asked them to have a look. The advised that the reset has to be done by the dealer. Now they're telling me when I put my summers back on that they're going to charge me 1/2 hr labour to do the reset.

The claim is that the under dash button is to reset the tires after a change in their pressure which is different that programming the vehicle to recognize a whole new set.

Any one have any experience with this issue?

Thanks
Bill
Old 03-18-10, 04:53 PM
98OysterES
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bill...

I bought my 2010 RX last February, and to my surprise, Lexus in their allmighty brilliance has removed the button to swap between sets of rims on the 2010 RX. After finding this out, I opted for a nice little tool made by ATEQ.

This nifty tool allows you to reprogram the car's ECU to whatever set of TPMS sensors you want. It comes with software that allows you to store up to four vehicles and 2 sets of tmps sensors for each vehicle.

Instead of Lexus raping me $100 2x per year every time I switch my rims, I can do it myself for free each time!

The cheapest that I have found this tool was from TireRack.com $135 plus shipping seems like a great deal to me! Very user friendly software .. however poorly written ... it still gets the job done every time! I have been using it for over 1 year now with success.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=163

I use the following procedure each time I change the rims.
1. Inflate each tire to correct pressure
2. Install on vehicle
3. Attach ATEQ TPMS QucikSet tool to OBDII Interface
4. Press the Summer or Winter Button (depending on which set I am using)
5. While starting the vehicle, press and hold the TPMS reset button in the driver's footwell until the light begins to blink.
6. This allows the RX to reinitialize the system and read the starting pressure, which the system bases it's warning lights on.

Good Luck
--Antonio
Old 03-19-10, 01:01 PM
BillON1
Driver School Candidate

Antonio

Thanks very much for that info. I'll definitely look into getting one of these.

In looking at the user manual it says ...." Select “Summer” and/or “Winter”
set and enter your tire pressure sensor ID numbers."..... where do you find your tire pressure sensor ID numbers?

Bill
Old 03-19-10, 02:08 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BillON1
Antonio

set and enter your tire pressure sensor ID numbers."..... where do you find your tire pressure sensor ID numbers?

Bill
Sounds like it comes from a factory scan tool.
Old 03-20-10, 02:09 PM
98OysterES
Driver

Red face

Antonio

Bill
Hey Bill,

This Scan Tool will read the 4 TPMS sensor serial number that are currently programmed into you RX's ECU. I suggest that before you mount the tires onto your new rims, that you write down the ID #s for your 2nd set of rims.

If you purchase the Pacific Sensors that come from the factory for your 2nd set, be sure to get the pacific sensors with the silver label w/ green writing.

ie.... these pictured here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170461510118
(Sorry ... but I bought these for a 3rd set of wheels that I might buy) ... but $100 or less is what you should expect to pay for a set of these on eBay!

The serial number will be on the opposite side from the silver/green sticker, and the Sensor ID# will be above the square barcode .. and is a 7 alphanumeric string, whic you will need to enter with a preceding 0 when using the TPMS QuickSet tool!

ie... as seen here:

Once you pull the original TPMS Sensor IDs from your car, write them down, don't rely on the QuickSet software, as it doesn't always do such a good job saving your settings to the PC ... however everything else works flawlessly!

Next, go to your pc, and type in the new Sensor ID#s ... you can set them as Winter or Summer ... whatever is appropriate to your setup.

Next, save the settings via USB to the QuickSet Tool

Next, go to your vehicle, connect to the OBDII Port, and press the corresponding Summer/Winter button appropriate for which set you are installing on the vehicle

Next, follow my Initialization instructions in my above post!
Old 03-20-10, 07:43 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

What happen if you rotate the wheels, do you need to OBDII device to check the wheels?
Old 02-03-11, 11:47 AM
SparxVA
Driver School Candidate

Antonio

Bill
You can either read the serial numbers off the sensors or use a wireless scanning tool to get them. I bought my tires from tirerack.com, so I just asked them to email me the numbers when I bought the tires.

- Sparx