RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

navigation override

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 06:57 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iteglikew,

The re-burning process is THROUGHLY explained in this long thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...n-driving.html
Old 03-17-10, 10:10 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mefromfl
Sorry I didn't mean to spark a big debate. I was just wondering if the wiring was the same as the GS 350, and the answer is yes it is pretty much the same. I did the hack for the GS for myself and bought a much nicer switch for $3. Here's the orginal thread for it, so I think Prestious Society might have taken some stuff from this thread.

As for paying for this kit at $350, I do agree with the above poster that it isn't worth this much and it's very over priced. Yes you can make a coffee yourself instead of buying it from starbuck for $3.75, but would you buy it if you know it's only cost them a few cents to make? You would probably look for a better deal if you can correct?

It's ok to not want to do it yourself, but I don't think most of you guys bought your RX at msrp either, you would probably asked for a fair price.

As for warranty, when I did the gs-350 hack, I just removed the pins, so no cutting was involved and when I sold my car to the dealer, I had the wires in my glove compartment and just put them back in.

But I did find a local car stereo place here to do the overide with the switch for $150, I think it's a good prices. The reason I choose them is because they did the hack my way with no cutting of the wires and if anything goes wrong with warranty, they have insurance to help me out. Let's see if Pretious Society will help you out with warranty if their harness blows up your nav and lexus can proof it.

But overall, it's your chose, I just think it's very over priced, and they probably stole the info from the guy that posted this hack.

I just wish RX forum is as active as the GS, they have their own sticky on DIY and Tricks you can do on your cars.

But thanks for everyone for the reply, this is just my opinion.
you are entitled to your opinion of course. and like i said before, you make your decision, you have to accept the consequences of your choice (whether the consequences are good or bad).

the prestigious society harness blows up the navi? lol. extremely unlikely. you have a higher chance of being hit by lightning before your PS harness blows up. for you to say the PS harness will blow up is like saying your wire hack method will blow up if you pull the pins. and there have been NO reports of PS kits failing that i have read so far to date. they have been extremely reliable. and just so you know, i have PS kits installed in BOTH my GS450h and RX450h with ZERO problems.

you're saying PS stole the idea for the hack? you do know that the override kit is made in japan right, PS is just the vendor/distributor for the product in north america right? how can they steal the idea, they don't even make the kit! lol! come on, get your facts straight before you accuse someone and put down their name. this kit has been around for a long time; it's more than likely this guy stole the idea from the maker of the override kit!
Old 03-17-10, 10:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mefromfl
Sorry I didn't mean to spark a big debate. I was just wondering if the wiring was the same as the GS 350, and the answer is yes it is pretty much the same. I did the hack for the GS for myself and bought a much nicer switch for $3. Here's the orginal thread for it, so I think Prestious Society might have taken some stuff from this thread.

As for paying for this kit at $350, I do agree with the above poster that it isn't worth this much and it's very over priced. Yes you can make a coffee yourself instead of buying it from starbuck for $3.75, but would you buy it if you know it's only cost them a few cents to make? You would probably look for a better deal if you can correct?

It's ok to not want to do it yourself, but I don't think most of you guys bought your RX at msrp either, you would probably asked for a fair price.

As for warranty, when I did the gs-350 hack, I just removed the pins, so no cutting was involved and when I sold my car to the dealer, I had the wires in my glove compartment and just put them back in.

But I did find a local car stereo place here to do the overide with the switch for $150, I think it's a good prices. The reason I choose them is because they did the hack my way with no cutting of the wires and if anything goes wrong with warranty, they have insurance to help me out. Let's see if Pretious Society will help you out with warranty if their harness blows up your nav and lexus can proof it.

But overall, it's your chose, I just think it's very over priced, and they probably stole the info from the guy that posted this hack.

I just wish RX forum is as active as the GS, they have their own sticky on DIY and Tricks you can do on your cars.

But thanks for everyone for the reply, this is just my opinion.
sure it's your opinion, and i will share mine with you as well, like it or not. coz' apparently you really don't know as much.

if you want to talk about startbuck coffee, you are paying 3.75 for it. you really think it costs more than 1.50 to make? if you think so, then you are making such a big mistake. you have no idea how cheap it is for them to make it, and just how much you are paying for their overhead. let's even say it takes them 2 bucks to make a cup of coffee, at 3.75, they are making almost 100% profit on you. so what do you have to say?

what makes you think ps doesn't have their policy to cover customers from damages caused by units? unless you know that for a fact, make no assumption. fact is, if it's proven that the ps unit or harness cause any damage to the factory system, ps will pay for the damage. case in point? an owner from out of state bought the kit, and the shop installed it wrong (messed up factory harnesses) and fried the whole unit. ps drove hours to the customer in another state, diagnosed the problems (found the cause), and proved to customer than the unit did not cause problem by installing that same unit in another lexus right in front of customer. if the unit actually caused any problem, they would be responsible to replace TWO navigation units. what are you going to call that? before you question the credibility of the story, i was the "technician" who went with ps to assist on diagnosis and installation and testing.

and at that point, up till this point, as far as i know, there has been zero issues with ps unit on any cars. in fact, you have no idea how many shops get lousy on installation (not following instructions) and blame ps unit causing problems. every case ps has to go through troubles to help diagnose problems. i have been asked fair share of questions to help support them.

and they "stole" the information? that's beyond laughable. let's make something clear. i was the first one in the US to even import the kit from japan, and i went through ps. i did all the study myself. and for your information, i know quite a bit more about these navigation systems than most, and i have read all the documentation on the diy. cutting wire yourself and put in a switch, often times there will be a time limit on the override period if your speed is over certain limit. ps kit does not have that limitation. stole what again?

again, i don't mind people cutting wires, it's their choice, none of my business and i don't give a damn. i am not benefiting anything either way. but i absolutely won't take it when there is false assumptions or wrong accusations.

Last edited by rominl; 03-17-10 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-18-10, 01:47 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the PS Kit. It's worth it
Old 03-18-10, 08:29 AM
mefromfl
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
sure it's your opinion, and i will share mine with you as well, like it or not. coz' apparently you really don't know as much.

if you want to talk about startbuck coffee, you are paying 3.75 for it. you really think it costs more than 1.50 to make? if you think so, then you are making such a big mistake. you have no idea how cheap it is for them to make it, and just how much you are paying for their overhead. let's even say it takes them 2 bucks to make a cup of coffee, at 3.75, they are making almost 100% profit on you. so what do you have to say?

what makes you think ps doesn't have their policy to cover customers from damages caused by units? unless you know that for a fact, make no assumption. fact is, if it's proven that the ps unit or harness cause any damage to the factory system, ps will pay for the damage. case in point? an owner from out of state bought the kit, and the shop installed it wrong (messed up factory harnesses) and fried the whole unit. ps drove hours to the customer in another state, diagnosed the problems (found the cause), and proved to customer than the unit did not cause problem by installing that same unit in another lexus right in front of customer. if the unit actually caused any problem, they would be responsible to replace TWO navigation units. what are you going to call that? before you question the credibility of the story, i was the "technician" who went with ps to assist on diagnosis and installation and testing.

and at that point, up till this point, as far as i know, there has been zero issues with ps unit on any cars. in fact, you have no idea how many shops get lousy on installation (not following instructions) and blame ps unit causing problems. every case ps has to go through troubles to help diagnose problems. i have been asked fair share of questions to help support them.

and they "stole" the information? that's beyond laughable. let's make something clear. i was the first one in the US to even import the kit from japan, and i went through ps. i did all the study myself. and for your information, i know quite a bit more about these navigation systems than most, and i have read all the documentation on the diy. cutting wire yourself and put in a switch, often times there will be a time limit on the override period if your speed is over certain limit. ps kit does not have that limitation. stole what again?

again, i don't mind people cutting wires, it's their choice, none of my business and i don't give a damn. i am not benefiting anything either way. but i absolutely won't take it when there is false assumptions or wrong accusations.
Look like i said, I don't want to spark a debate, I don't accuse anyone of anything, I said they "probably stole" I can't proof they stole it and you can't proof they invented it so we in the same shoes, but I did not mean to accuse them, I was speaking figurtily. But alot of people do post good hacks on this forum.

They are probably a good company and i'm not knocking on them, I just don't think their product is worth that much and that's my opinion.

What I'm trying to say is that it's better to have a installer do it so they can help you out if anything goes wrong, PS has a good equipment and it should be well tested before being release, but If you buy their equipment and install it in and did something wrong yourself, PS isn't gonna help you pay lexus for a new nav are they? They gonna say it's your fault, which is true. But if you have an installer do it, if they do something wrong, then their insurance will kick in. I did the GS hack myself for my GS350, but decided to let an installer do my RX350 because I have gotten my amp broken by an installer before and they took care of me, you can look at my post from 2 years about my car audio problem. I'm not cheap, but I want to be protected, it's a plug and play device, but you gotta do alot of stuff yourself too.

But once again, sorry for bringing up the debate, and didn't mean to accuse them of stealing anything, I should have thought about it more before writing that line, I'll end it at that. and lets end the debate. PS is a good company and I have heard good stuff about their support, but after seeing that the RX hack is same as the GS hack, then I'm just saying it's not worth it to me, but that's just my opinion.

BTW, I might have bought a PS plug and play kit back in 07 for my GS if it was avaliable, but non was, only this hack which i found on this site.

Last edited by mefromfl; 03-18-10 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-18-10, 09:36 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Wow. Some strong followers of PS. thats great.

I don't think cutting the wire, removing the pin or using the PS harness is going to break the navi. Also just like anything else done to the car they have to prove what you did caused the problem. Cutting the GPS wire will not fry your radio. You have a higher chance of dropping the radio or damaging it while you removing it for either hack. Plug and play or not.
And altho I'm sure someone navi has went out I would say 99.5% of the hacked navi's have not. So people that are so damn worried about warr. just don't touch your car and you'll be fine. The original poster wasn't worried about blowing up his navi or warr. and most people modding their cars are not.
Old 03-18-10, 09:46 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jerfitz
Iteglikew,

The re-burning process is THROUGHLY explained in this long thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...n-driving.html
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. I thought the new RX Navi's don't use a disc all HDD?

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...yLJT!387629390

Last edited by integlikew; 03-18-10 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-18-10, 01:34 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by integlikew
Wow. Some strong followers of PS. thats great.

I don't think cutting the wire, removing the pin or using the PS harness is going to break the navi. Also just like anything else done to the car they have to prove what you did caused the problem. Cutting the GPS wire will not fry your radio. You have a higher chance of dropping the radio or damaging it while you removing it for either hack. Plug and play or not.
And altho I'm sure someone navi has went out I would say 99.5% of the hacked navi's have not. So people that are so damn worried about warr. just don't touch your car and you'll be fine. The original poster wasn't worried about blowing up his navi or warr. and most people modding their cars are not.
yes you are right, 99.5% of people with navi won't have any problems with their navi dying. but i recall reading here on CL this IS350 (?) guy did the wire hack AND his navi failed. and guess what, lexus voided his warranty. and the cost of getting a new replacement navi? somewhere in the neighbourhood of $2K!!! i bet this guy didn't think he would fall in the 0.5% navi failure rate category, but he did.

true, if people are worried about warranty, don't mod your car like you say. but i was bringing the warranty warning for those who may not understand all the ramifications of their choice. with information comes better clarity to make an informed decision.

like i said before, ultimately each person must make his own decision on what is best for them. for you and the OP, the wire hack is the best solution for you guys. for me, the best solution was the PS kit. both solutions work to provide what we want - to be able to use navi override while driving on the fly. there is nothing wrong in either choices, as both provide the same outcome. BUT if a new person interested in doing this mod doesn't know about the potential consequences of their choices, then that's not making an informed decision. and when someone puts down the PS kit because of cost bias, then that's not really fair as you overlook the reason for why the PS kit was made in the first place. yes the PS kit is expensive and not for everyone. but neither is the wire hack a viable alternative for those who want to maintain their warranty. 2 cents.
Old 03-18-10, 01:43 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormforge
yes you are right, 99.5% of people with navi won't have any problems with their navi dying. but i recall reading here on CL this IS350 (?) guy did the wire hack AND his navi failed. and guess what, lexus voided his warranty. and the cost of getting a new replacement navi? somewhere in the neighbourhood of $2K!!! i bet this guy didn't think he would fall in the 0.5% navi failure rate category, but he did.

true, if people are worried about warranty, don't mod your car like you say. but i was bringing the warranty warning for those who may not understand all the ramifications of their choice. with information comes better clarity to make an informed decision.

like i said before, ultimately each person must make his own decision on what is best for them. for you and the OP, the wire hack is the best solution for you guys. for me, the best solution was the PS kit. both solutions work to provide what we want - to be able to use navi override while driving on the fly. there is nothing wrong in either choices, as both provide the same outcome. BUT if a new person interested in doing this mod doesn't know about the potential consequences of their choices, then that's not making an informed decision. and when someone puts down the PS kit because of cost bias, then that's not really fair as you overlook the reason for why the PS kit was made in the first place. yes the PS kit is expensive and not for everyone. but neither is the wire hack a viable alternative for those who want to maintain their warranty. 2 cents.
Agreed .
Old 03-17-11, 05:21 AM
jtydings
Driver School Candidate

Default Hack without wiring change?

I have the 2011 RX 350 with the hard drive Nav and "mouse" as opposed to the touch screen. On all of my old cars (2006 400h and 2002 SC430) there was a push here/push there hack to overide the nav system. Is there any comparable method for this nav version or is hard wiring change the only way? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-11, 05:39 AM
BlueSurf
Rookie

The Lexus Rep told me, anyone who tampers with the navigation system by cutting wires etc. will have voided the entire vehicle warranty.
If the dealer spots it, it will be added to your VIN profile and NO Warranty coverage.
I don't like to, however I'll pull over.
Old 03-17-11, 08:49 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by jtydings
I have the 2011 RX 350 with the hard drive Nav and "mouse" as opposed to the touch screen. On all of my old cars (2006 400h and 2002 SC430) there was a push here/push there hack to overide the nav system. Is there any comparable method for this nav version or is hard wiring change the only way? Thanks in advance.
unfortunately, there are no buttons that you can push to override the navi. the only option is either the wire hack or the prestigious society override kit. i believe there's another override kit that's alot cheaper than the ps navi kit, but the buttons are not as esthetically pleasing.

Originally Posted by BlueSurf
The Lexus Rep told me, anyone who tampers with the navigation system by cutting wires etc. will have voided the entire vehicle warranty.
If the dealer spots it, it will be added to your VIN profile and NO Warranty coverage.
I don't like to, however I'll pull over.
this is why the ps navi kit is so great, as it is plug and play. if your navi fails, just remove the ps kit and return the RX navi to stock for warranty coverage. if the navi is broke with the ps kit, it will still be broke when it's removed.

Last edited by Stormforge; 03-17-11 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-17-11, 09:14 PM
jerryray
Pit Crew

I started my hack for my 2006 RX400 Used a DPDT switch, closed the brake signal to the nav, opened the speed sensor, worked until I traded the car in for a 2011 RX450.

I have the ML and the RES kit. Made up my switch about the same but did not leave speed-sensor line floating. I took it low to 100 ohms. Works for a while, then goes back to the map. Could work for 2 minutes or 15 minutes. I figured it was the GPS data causing this. I tried to make shields to lay on the dashboard to kill the gps data. but the dam antenna worked too good.

Finally gave up and had the PS module installed.

They have two switches, first nav switch lets you enter numbers and destinations while driving. The second switch kills the GPS antenna. Guess that have a relay. That gps antenna is probably a shielded line with 5v for the lna in the antenna.

They also let you use 5 minute timer or full manual. It does have lighted switches, Package is not bad, full detailed instructions with pictures.

It was worth it for me to have it installed, went back to work for 3 hours and had enough to pay for the unit with installation.

They did r&d the package nicely and to deserve the compensation. One of there engineers claimed a pulse generator was also in the interface?