RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

navigation override

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 07:40 AM
mefromfl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default navigation override

Anyone know a DIY navigation override for the 2010 rx 350?

I know there is a kit for $350, but I have done the over ride myself for the GS 350, so i'm just wonder if anyone know which wires to cut and join.

or you can point me to the correct link if it's not allow on here.

Thanks
Old 03-14-10, 11:39 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Go to the ES350 forum and read the Sticky post: "Enabling the NAV system features when driving." I know this worked with the 2007 RX350s.
Old 03-14-10, 12:24 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jerfitz
Go to the ES350 forum and read the Sticky post: "Enabling the NAV system features when driving." I know this worked with the 2007 RX350s.
Yea but what does that have to do with ours? They are totally diff.
Old 03-14-10, 12:26 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mefromfl
Anyone know a DIY navigation override for the 2010 rx 350?

I know there is a kit for $350, but I have done the over ride myself for the GS 350, so i'm just wonder if anyone know which wires to cut and join.

or you can point me to the correct link if it's not allow on here.

Thanks
Only way would be to cut the GPS wire, which would leave the nav not working. So you would have to put a switch between. So kill the GPS when you wanted to override then turn back on when you done. Which is exactly what the 350.00 kit does but with a nice looking plug and play kit and switch.
Old 03-14-10, 12:34 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

but I have done the over ride myself for the GS 350, so i'm just wonder if anyone know which wires to cut and join.
Your GS Navi if updated with new software would not allow your hack to work anymore either (except DVD). The old Nav had 2 gps wires going to it.
One for the radio and one for the Navi. you could cut the radio/DVD wire and ground the brake wire and the navi would still work fine, with the radio/dvd part all bypassed. you could also do a software hack by pressing the up/down on the left side. Then with the software update it no longer worked that way. The new cars don't have 2 GPS input wires and they come with the new software only so its not working as before.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-10, 10:31 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Iteglikew,

The person who developed the "reburning" procedure put it in his wife's 2007 RX350. I only published the info. Also, if your current NAV disk is a Ver 9.1 U 34 disk (Generation 5 system) then it will probably work. One nice thing about burning a new disk and NOT cutting any wires is, if it doesn't work your NAV system is still in its original condition and you can reinstall the original NAV disk that came with your car.

It worked with a 2010 ES350.

Last edited by jerfitz; 03-15-10 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-16-10, 05:22 AM
mefromfl
Rookie

Originally Posted by integlikew
Only way would be to cut the GPS wire, which would leave the nav not working. So you would have to put a switch between. So kill the GPS when you wanted to override then turn back on when you done. Which is exactly what the 350.00 kit does but with a nice looking plug and play kit and switch.
The GS 350 hack I used the switch too, so you are saying all the $350 kit is that it gives you the switch? Or is it a special plugin where I do not need to cut any wires?
Old 03-16-10, 11:12 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

The GS 350 hack I used the switch too, so you are saying all the $350 kit is that it gives you the switch? Or is it a special plugin where I do not need to cut any wires?
There is pictures of the setup on here. It comes with a plug in harness, modual and switch. You don't have to cut any wires with the 350.00 setup all plug and play.
Old 03-16-10, 11:13 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jerfitz
Iteglikew,

The person who developed the "reburning" procedure put it in his wife's 2007 RX350. I only published the info. Also, if your current NAV disk is a Ver 9.1 U 34 disk (Generation 5 system) then it will probably work. One nice thing about burning a new disk and NOT cutting any wires is, if it doesn't work your NAV system is still in its original condition and you can reinstall the original NAV disk that came with your car.

It worked with a 2010 ES350.
Would like more info on this if you have it thanks.
Old 03-16-10, 01:09 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

what you guys have to remember (if you choose to go with the wire hack method) is the potential loss of warranty relating to your navi. IF you develop problems down the road, you could be denied warranty if lexus finds out you did the wire hack.

with a plug and play kit, you don't have to worry about loss of warranty. take the kit out and bring your car in for warranty repairs.
Old 03-16-10, 01:45 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormforge
what you guys have to remember (if you choose to go with the wire hack method) is the potential loss of warranty relating to your navi. IF you develop problems down the road, you could be denied warranty if lexus finds out you did the wire hack.

with a plug and play kit, you don't have to worry about loss of warranty. take the kit out and bring your car in for warranty repairs.
There is ways around this, if this even bothers you. You can remove the pin from the connector without cutting it. It can always be put back in later. Frys or other electronics stores have male and female replacement pins, tools to remove the pins and much more.

So its not that it cant be done or it can't be done for less then 350.00, it just takes some time.

350.00 for the kit is worth it for alot of people, but I look at it like how much profit are they making on this. I think they charging a bit to much for a simple device. Not showing you the directions proves that.

They know if they showed people whats included or how its done people would 2nd guess that they would want to pay 350.00 for it (not all just some). Basicly they have a nice device (not knocking their product) but they not selling it for what thats worth. They selling you the secret.

Last edited by integlikew; 03-16-10 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 03:58 PM
kooser
Rookie

Originally Posted by integlikew
There is ways around this, if this even bothers you. You can remove the pin from the connector without cutting it. It can always be put back in later. Frys or other electronics stores have male and female replacement pins, tools to remove the pins and much more.

So its not that it cant be done or it can't be done for less then 350.00, it just takes some time.

350.00 for the kit is worth it for alot of people, but I look at it like how much profit are they making on this. I think they charging a bit to much for a simple device. Not showing you the directions proves that.

They know if they showed people whats included or how its done people would 2nd guess that they would want to pay 350.00 for it (not all just some). Basicly they have a nice device (not knocking their product) but they not selling it for what thats worth. They selling you the secret.
Yes, and it is called "intellectual property"
There is more to an electronic device than the parts and pieces...the R&D that went behind creating the device, the seamless transition and compatibility, the warranty behind their device.

P.S. I can make an Iced Chai Tea for a fraction of what it costs at Starbucks if I buy the milk and the Tea concentrate at the grocery store - but I pay $3.75 for a venti every day. Now that makes me a fool!
Old 03-16-10, 05:11 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kooser
There is more to an electronic device than the parts and pieces...the R&D that went behind creating the device, the seamless transition and compatibility, the warranty behind their device.

P.S. I can make an Iced Chai Tea for a fraction of what it costs at Starbucks if I buy the milk and the Tea concentrate at the grocery store - but I pay $3.75 for a venti every day. Now that makes me a fool!
That doesn't make you a fool. You pay for what you get.
Same thing as paying someone to cut your grass, but you can as well do it yourself. It's all about if you want to do it yourself. As for the device, doesn't matter if it worths $350, you don't need to go search and buy wires, pins, connectors, everything is all there for you, it is a plug and play device. Also, it's made in Japan.
Old 03-16-10, 11:06 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kooser

well said kooser, couldn't have said it better.

now for some general comment for people deciding between the wire hack and the plug and play kit: you can choose either the wire hack or the plug and play kit (it's a free world, you can decide what is best for YOU). but be aware of the potential consequences of your decision, and how that may affect your warranty. no crying over spilled milk if things go sour (i.e. warranty voided). you made your decision, and so you also have to live with it.
Old 03-17-10, 04:40 AM
mefromfl
Rookie

Sorry I didn't mean to spark a big debate. I was just wondering if the wiring was the same as the GS 350, and the answer is yes it is pretty much the same. I did the hack for the GS for myself and bought a much nicer switch for $3. Here's the orginal thread for it, so I think Prestious Society might have taken some stuff from this thread.

As for paying for this kit at $350, I do agree with the above poster that it isn't worth this much and it's very over priced. Yes you can make a coffee yourself instead of buying it from starbuck for $3.75, but would you buy it if you know it's only cost them a few cents to make? You would probably look for a better deal if you can correct?

It's ok to not want to do it yourself, but I don't think most of you guys bought your RX at msrp either, you would probably asked for a fair price.

As for warranty, when I did the gs-350 hack, I just removed the pins, so no cutting was involved and when I sold my car to the dealer, I had the wires in my glove compartment and just put them back in.

But I did find a local car stereo place here to do the overide with the switch for $150, I think it's a good prices. The reason I choose them is because they did the hack my way with no cutting of the wires and if anything goes wrong with warranty, they have insurance to help me out. Let's see if Pretious Society will help you out with warranty if their harness blows up your nav and lexus can proof it.

But overall, it's your chose, I just think it's very over priced, and they probably stole the info from the guy that posted this hack.

I just wish RX forum is as active as the GS, they have their own sticky on DIY and Tricks you can do on your cars.

But thanks for everyone for the reply, this is just my opinion.

Quick Reply: navigation override