RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 04:38 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rack

Anyone have the crossbars installed on their roof racks, Do they make a lot of extra wind noise when driving? Did you purchase them from the dealer and around how much are they.

Thanks
Old 03-14-10, 07:58 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the RX's here in Cali already had them installed at the dealer. A good way for them to make more money I guess. So yes I have them, but don't think I'll ever use them. I don't notice any noise. I think there is already complaints of road noise already on the forums even without the bars.
Old 03-14-10, 08:04 PM
kooser
Rookie

A bit of discussion already on this along with valuable comparison and opinions on non OEM cross bars.
Use "search" for the several threads within the RX third generation forum.
Old 03-14-10, 10:36 PM
OC-ISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusVet
Anyone have the crossbars installed on their roof racks, Do they make a lot of extra wind noise when driving? Did you purchase them from the dealer and around how much are they.

Thanks
I have the cross bars and don't notice any additional wind noise. My RX came with the cross bars installed.
Old 03-15-10, 08:24 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OC-ISF
I have the cross bars and don't notice any additional wind noise. My RX came with the cross bars installed.
Yup its a get more money out of Cali thing.
Old 03-15-10, 04:13 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusVet

Thanks
The very first thing I did to my 2005 RX was to have the dealer remove the crossbars before I drove the car off the lot. I was glad the 2010 did not include them. I found there were not too many advantages to having them, if any.
Old 03-15-10, 08:20 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4482
I found there were not too many advantages to having them, if any.
Only if your the one to put bikes, snowboards, or other outdoor sports equipment up there.
Old 03-16-10, 02:52 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kooser
A bit of discussion already on this along with valuable comparison and opinions on non OEM cross bars.
Use "search" for the several threads within the RX third generation forum.

What kooser said. You'll find out plenty of info about OEM and aftermarket.
Old 03-16-10, 06:54 PM
DaRacerz
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No, they don't make a lot of noise. A matter of fact, you really can't hear them as long as the spread between the cross bars is far enough. If you put them too close, you will here noise from the turbulence. I'd say about 20" spread between the bars is enough.

The only time when you really get to hear additional noise from the bars/rack is when there is a crosswind present.
Old 03-17-10, 10:11 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaRacerz
No, they don't make a lot of noise. A matter of fact, you really can't hear them as long as the spread between the cross bars is far enough. If you put them too close, you will here noise from the turbulence. I'd say about 20" spread between the bars is enough.

The only time when you really get to hear additional noise from the bars/rack is when there is a crosswind present.
Don't agree. Highway speeds there's a fair amount of turbulence, spread or close together.
Old 03-17-10, 11:22 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Does anyone think the crossbars make the vehicle look nicer or not? They came equipped with my vehicle and I know I'll never use them. I'm debating if I should have the dealer remove them at my 1,000 mile check-up. Just wondering if people think it makes the car look sportier or does it look too busy up there (if and when people are at a high enough level to even notice them).
Old 03-18-10, 04:48 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I may be in a minority, but I find the roof rack useless without the crossbars. I don't want anything I put on the roof to sit on the car surface and possibly scratch or damage it. The cross bars provide elevation so this shouldn't happen. I would use the cross bars to support cayak/canoe or if needed, extra luggage.

ChitChat, I guess I'm neutral on their appearance, but I certainly don't find them offensive
Old 03-18-10, 05:13 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

ChitChat, I'd say the crossbars are hard to see from the ground. I don't have them on mine and will be keeping it that way. If anything, it came in handy with all the snow we had around here. I could push it right off easily. Washing is a breeze too. As far as looks, the roof rails are still there and gives it the 'SUV with roof rack' appearance. Mind blend in with the tungsten pearl so maybe it's not as dramatic.

Last edited by kitlz; 03-18-10 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 05:21 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz
As far as looks, the roof rails are still there and gives it the 'roof rack' appearance.
I agree with this.

I think maybe some people think the crossbars option or cost is the whole roof rack.
Old 03-18-10, 07:02 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I took the whole thing off right away. No rails , no cross bars. I think it looks a lot better without, less SUV. Like kitlz said easier to wash. Take a look at 'my garage' pictures if you want to see what it looks like without. And of course, no noise.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack