RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Recurring Monthly Cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 08:59 AM
lexitaxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recurring Monthly Cost

Trying to figure out what the actual total monthly cost of a 2010 will turn out to be. With that in mind, I understand there are monthly/yearly recurring costs associated with the continuation of XM with traffic updates and the continuation of Lexus Enform beyond the complimentary period. However, are there any other recurring fees associated with Navigation aside from paying for new map updates when they come out?

Any other non-maintenance types of costs that I am overlooking?

I appreciate the help.
Old 03-15-10, 11:09 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lexitaxi
Trying to figure out what the actual total monthly cost of a 2010 will turn out to be. With that in mind, I understand there are monthly/yearly recurring costs associated with the continuation of XM with traffic updates and the continuation of Lexus Enform beyond the complimentary period. However, are there any other recurring fees associated with Navigation aside from paying for new map updates when they come out?

Any other non-maintenance types of costs that I am overlooking?

I appreciate the help.
Recurring costs are only if you go month by month. At the end of your trial, you should be able to call XM radio and get a 'lifetime' subscription for $299. If you keep the service, it's worthwhile. I forgot the terms on mine but I think there is a complimentary transfer to another car every three years. Or sooner if it's wrecked .

Lexus Inform is a whole 'nuther ball of wax. I don't have it (early build) so I don't miss it, but I understand it's expensive if you do keep it.

The NAV system uses the government Satellite system free of charge. All you need is the NAV system in the car.

If you live in an area that offers the traffic features (I do), it's a pretty neat feature. It's supposed to be about $8 per month I think but they forgot to turn mine off, so ...... If they ever do, I'll consider keeping it.
Old 03-15-10, 11:24 AM
lexitaxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jim,

Help me understand the Nav. using the government satelite for free thing that you mentioned.

In other threads I've read (I think you initiated one of them), regarding Nav upgrades that became available just after you purchased your car. I believe you stated that Lexus provided you a complementary copy of the upgrade. What are the Nav upgrades that they can charge you for vs. the free use of the satelite maps as long as the car is equipped with navigation?

Sorry if this question seems simplistic.... I've never had a GPS system nor a car with navigation before.
Old 03-15-10, 12:37 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by lexitaxi
Thanks Jim,

Help me understand the Nav. using the government satelite for free thing that you mentioned.

In other threads I've read (I think you initiated one of them), regarding Nav upgrades that became available just after you purchased your car. I believe you stated that Lexus provided you a complementary copy of the upgrade. What are the Nav upgrades that they can charge you for vs. the free use of the satelite maps as long as the car is equipped with navigation?

Sorry if this question seems simplistic.... I've never had a GPS system nor a car with navigation before.
There is NO charge by anyone for using the GPS/NAV system. If you choose to upgrade your map, Lexus might toss in one free update but after that you would have to pay for any updates. There is little reason to upgrade and your NAV system will work just fine with out ever updating. I would only update if Lexus would do it for free and I have owned 4 different Lexus with Nav.
Old 03-15-10, 01:12 PM
MikeLaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Lexus Inform is a whole 'nuther ball of wax. I don't have it (early build) so I don't miss it, but I understand it's expensive if you do keep it.
I was quoted $264 per year for Enform, with very small discounts for multiple years and $140 per year for just the "Safety Connect" feature. I think the discount for multiple years amounted to like $5 or $10 a year.
Old 03-15-10, 04:43 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know if I will renew Enform when my year is up but I do like putting destinations into my computer and then having them show up in the car all at one time. They even use the Lexus emblem for those locations on your maps.
Old 03-15-10, 05:05 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I don't know if I will renew Enform when my year is up but I do like putting destinations into my computer and then having them show up in the car all at one time. They even use the Lexus emblem for those locations on your maps.
I agree that is a really nice feature to have. I am a Realtor and it is great for showing multiple properties. I would pay just to keep that feature.