RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Customizing rear hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 08:32 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I took it to the dealer, they told me it can't be done. but now I'll try again, after I know it works. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-30-10, 04:28 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usmcxm35
I can open rear lift door by hitting button next to rear camera.
I got it done the first week I brought my RX350 home.
It's in Lexus Personalized settings. Done only be dealer. <~ I watched them because I was the first person who ever asked for this and didn't take NO for an answer.
They will tell you it can't be done.
1) The manual tells you it can be set by dealer.
2) Lexus Personalized Settings(LPS) from lexus drivers website for the Pre 2010 rx350 tells you it can be done.
3) I have it working. Press button and door lifts automatically with power, and hit it again while in motion to go to manual (for tight spots). Hitting the button on the bottom of the door will reverse operation, not switch to manual. <~ spent a couple of mins going back and forth to figure that one out.
I spoke to 3 service advisors and 4 mechanics before the lead tech came out and took care of me.
Hopefully this helps you out and anyone else comeing across this.
If it comes down to it, I will make a video that you could bring to your dealer.
This should be the end all post to the auto rear door question.

Many thanks. Would you know if this works on the 450h? Either way, I'm going to haunt my dealer. Thanks for posting the pdf. That removes all doubt.
Old 07-14-10, 12:22 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Please clarify!!!

Originally Posted by usmcxm35
I can open rear lift door by hitting button next to rear camera.
I got it done the first week I brought my RX350 home.
It's in Lexus Personalized settings. Done only be dealer. <~ I watched them because I was the first person who ever asked for this and didn't take NO for an answer.
They will tell you it can't be done.
1) The manual tells you it can be set by dealer.
2) Lexus Personalized Settings(LPS) from lexus drivers website for the Pre 2010 rx350 tells you it can be done.
3) I have it working. Press button and door lifts automatically with power, and hit it again while in motion to go to manual (for tight spots). Hitting the button on the bottom of the door will reverse operation, not switch to manual. <~ spent a couple of mins going back and forth to figure that one out.
I spoke to 3 service advisors and 4 mechanics before the lead tech came out and took care of me.
Hopefully this helps you out and anyone else comeing across this.
If it comes down to it, I will make a video that you could bring to your dealer.
This should be the end all post to the auto rear door question.
First off, thank you. I also see that you have 2010 RX350. I just got back from the dealer and the service manager told me it CANNOT be done. I showed him the PDF and YOUR message and he said that he is sure it is PRE 2010 model (i.e. 2009 or older). He said you may NOT own a 2010 RX350. I told him I will re-check to make sure. Now I see you have a 2010 and you got it done.

Do you have any instructions on how to set it up? What dealer did you go to?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-14-10, 03:58 PM
euroja153
Driver

I also asked my dealer to do this for me and they told me it can not be done, which I didnt believe but what can I do if they tell me that. He printed out the LPS for Canadian cars, and its not on the list. I always have to deal with "Canadian cars and US cars are different".
Old 07-14-10, 06:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Yes it can be programmed. Just had my 450h done today. Only downside is all doors need to be unlocked. Kinda defeats the purpose but hey, maybe it'll come in handy some day.
Old 07-15-10, 12:32 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by kitlz
Yes it can be programmed. Just had my 450h done today. Only downside is all doors need to be unlocked. Kinda defeats the purpose but hey, maybe it'll come in handy some day.
With the keys with you, you can UNLOCK the hatch by pressing the little button next to the hatch opener so this is not an issue.

How did you do it? My dealer guarantee me that it cannot be done for 2010 model. I want to get mine done and prove to them that the knowledge on this site is much better than their dealer.

Please provide instructions. Thank you.
Old 07-15-10, 04:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
With the keys with you, you can UNLOCK the hatch by pressing the little button next to the hatch opener so this is not an issue.

How did you do it? My dealer guarantee me that it cannot be done for 2010 model. I want to get mine done and prove to them that the knowledge on this site is much better than their dealer.

Please provide instructions. Thank you.
The tech who programmed it showed me how it works, not how he did it. No details on the RO either. I'll be heading back to the dealer next Friday and will see if he can provide more details. I was there for about an hour getting the 5K service. Two techs were working on my car with one doing the programming. I'm not sure how long it took, probably very little time.

True, the doors can be unlocked by pressing the round button on the tailgate to the right with keys in hand or pocket. Now after programming, to activate the power liftgate, I press the round button followed by the long button on the left. But I think using the remote is quicker and easier, one button push and it opens. And it doesn't require unlocking all the doors first.
Old 07-15-10, 08:46 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just press the long button twice to open mine.
Old 07-15-10, 08:58 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by euroja153
I also asked my dealer to do this for me and they told me it can not be done, which I didnt believe but what can I do if they tell me that. He printed out the LPS for Canadian cars, and its not on the list. I always have to deal with "Canadian cars and US cars are different".
Tell your dealer that other than Japan made cars, all North American RX are Made in Canada. Some dealers are afflicted with the "Dealer Knows Best & Customers Know Nothing, And Are Always Asking Dumb Questions" Syndrome.
Old 07-18-10, 05:53 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by wyau01
I just press the long button twice to open mine.
I did the two long button push while detailing the 450h yesterday. The tailgate opened under power on the second push - first doors unlock, second the tailgate opens. I'd prefer not to unlock all the doors to open the tailgate like on the 2nd gen. But I'm glad I had it done for the times it might come in handy.
Old 07-23-10, 06:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

OK, I talked to the tech that programmed the tailgate for me today. When I asked how he did it, he smiled. He said it's a matter of figuring out the programming and basically tweaking it. It's supposedly simple to do but the person has to understand how Lexus programs their vehicles. Makes me wonder what else he could do.

Sorry I can't give more information.
Old 07-30-10, 09:11 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by kitlz
OK, I talked to the tech that programmed the tailgate for me today. When I asked how he did it, he smiled. He said it's a matter of figuring out the programming and basically tweaking it. It's supposedly simple to do but the person has to understand how Lexus programs their vehicles. Makes me wonder what else he could do.

Sorry I can't give more information.
Thanks for your trying though. I will harass them again the next time I bring my car in. I will tell them that if other dealers can do it and they cannot, I would doubt their technical skills.....
Old 07-30-10, 04:33 PM
cronin
Driver School Candidate

I agree with above. I bought my 2010 RX 450h on 30 June.

I had to visit two separate dealers with the above attached PDF file before the mechanics would make the adjustment on the scope.

I found the PDF file on the official Lexus site.

There are approximately 16 settings that only the dealership tech can adjust. This includes the rear door auto opening by pressing the larger of the two buttons. Now, when I press the larger button, the rear door opens automatically.

Now, if I can only figure out if my car has the intelligent highbeam system like the owner's manual says, I'll be set (included with comfort package)! I'll create a new post for this issue.

Last edited by cronin; 07-30-10 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 12:09 AM
clhug
Driver School Candidate

The PDF document posted in an earlier message was for the 350. Is there a document specifically for the 450h? I couldn't find one. I'd hate to take that PDF to my dealer only to have him say "that's for the 350, not the 450."

There's another setting in there I'm interested in, and wondering if anyone has done this. There appears to be a setting that will open the rear door with just a "momentary" press of the button on the remote instead of having to hold the button down. Has anyone had that adjustment made?