RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

sat nav

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 11:34 AM
erm2811
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sat nav

Whats the sat nav like when compared to bmw 5series i currenly drive.(just ordered rx 450h) and was told it "disappointed"????
Old 03-28-10, 11:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i can only speak from my personal experience. i currently have 2008 m3 with previous generation idrive. it's just royal pita to use. i have had the car for over a year, and i am still frustrated every time i use it. there is a big learning curve to it. i am better now, but still, not close to be as intuitive and user friendly as lexus.

2009+ bmw has newer generation idrive, it's better, but still, not good enough imho.

on the rx450h, they have the new "mouse type" control. i have used it, and i can tell you that i got used to it within 5 mins. it's just like using mouse so it's very intuitive. unlike idrive where often times i find myself guessing if i should spin the **** or move the ****

of course, one big "problem" with lexus nav, you can't use it when car is moving. there is a fix, but from factory that's the painful fact

hope this helps. welcome to clublexus and congrats on your car!
Old 03-28-10, 02:42 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say RX's Nav is much easier to operate and get familiar with, rather than iDrive. IMHO.

RX's isn't perfect, but I don't feel it's "disappointed", especially if I have to compare with BMW iDrive or MB Command System Navigation Control. I have to say there is no perfect "Navi" in the world, and you can only look for the best Navi you'd prefer. Also, to me, I'm looking for the best combo and value SUV, not the vehicle with the best Navi.
Old 03-28-10, 03:45 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I have not even touched the bmw's idrive because I hear so many bad things. However, I do love how bmw navs are widescreen and you get the 3D view with topography. I also like the fact how oil levels and etc are displayed digitally on the nav.

Those two points are the only two areas I can see you being disapointed in. The nav lockout is pretty much standard on most nav systems. I had a chance to drive an RX loaner and the remote touch really is very intuitive.
Old 03-28-10, 09:50 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

both systems have good and not so good points--I hate the lexus IPOD interface when you scroll and it grabs a song. Wish they both could back up during a track. BMW you can use when driving. It seems when you make a mistake on the Lexus system you need to start all over-cannot easily go back.

did my tax return tonite--got a nice sized deduction for sales tax on the purchase-its chump change in the whole picture but money is money.
Old 03-29-10, 11:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Hal56
both systems have good and not so good points--I hate the lexus IPOD interface when you scroll and it grabs a song. Wish they both could back up during a track. BMW you can use when driving. It seems when you make a mistake on the Lexus system you need to start all over-cannot easily go back.

did my tax return tonite--got a nice sized deduction for sales tax on the purchase-its chump change in the whole picture but money is money.
there are still tax breaks for getting hybrids?
Old 03-29-10, 04:41 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal56

Using TurboTax, I also got tax credit for purchasing a vehicle in 2009. This isn’t the “Clunker” tax credit but apparently there was another tax credit for purchasing a vehicle that is less than $50k [just vehicle cost]. I don’t recall exact amount but it was several hundred dollars in tax credit.
Old 03-29-10, 05:18 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Thumbs down

After 13 consecutive Audi vehicles, the last 5 with Navigation, I found it easy to get used to the Lexus mouse. That being said, the actual Navigation system has been a real disappointment - IMHO, it is not worth the powder to blow it to Hell. I find that it consistently gives me wrong directions to the point that I no longer trust it. I am thinking of asking the dealer to disable it. I suspect that this 2010 RX 450h will be both my first and my last Lexus.
Old 03-29-10, 05:56 PM
jwilli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oscqc
I find that it consistently gives me wrong directions to the point that I no longer trust it.
I'm curious....does it give you wrong destinations or does it give you circuitious routes to get to the correct destination?
Old 03-29-10, 07:50 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oscqc
After 13 consecutive Audi vehicles, the last 5 with Navigation, I found it easy to get used to the Lexus mouse. That being said, the actual Navigation system has been a real disappointment - IMHO, it is not worth the powder to blow it to Hell. I find that it consistently gives me wrong directions to the point that I no longer trust it. I am thinking of asking the dealer to disable it. I suspect that this 2010 RX 450h will be both my first and my last Lexus.
Interesting observations...

If this car continues to provide the wrong directions in the varied locations and in the different areas (cities, regions, etc.), this is pretty bad. And, I'd totally agree this is .

IMO, luckily I don't experience this yet. In the past 7 years, I have owned varied Navi from MB, BMW, Porsche, Acura, and Lexus (at least driving them daily for 6 months). None of them are working perfectly when we talk about the "directions" here. Each Navi always comes out with the wrong directions, which either end up with the circles or miss a block or occasionally stop the route. For example, one of them will lose the route when trying to enter NYC from the local bridge. The other one will always guide me to use the wrong roads when driving in Boston downtown. Another one will sometimes miss the roads when driving in Sonoma areas if I don't select the local route. And, none of these errors/problems can be replicated by my other vehicles. Each one has its own problems.

In my cases, I guess I'm tolerant of these results and I don't blame my Navi or say it's not working.
Old 03-29-10, 08:38 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

IMO, it isnt that it leads you to the wrong place, but that it uses routes that consist of mainly main roads that if you were lost, you would want to follow. This is why it may choose roads that you might not take, but are chosen so that you dont get lost.
Old 03-29-10, 10:00 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

this navigation is MUCH easier to use compared to the one in my ISF and recongizes my voice much better. plus it is very iphone friendly so far (again, compared to the last generation)

i tried using the 2008 M3's navigation during a test drive. did not like it, but it's not like i was used to anything in a bimmer (owned only honda/toyota's and one mustang cobra)
Old 03-29-10, 11:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by malujerry
this navigation is MUCH easier to use compared to the one in my ISF and recongizes my voice much better. plus it is very iphone friendly so far (again, compared to the last generation)

i tried using the 2008 M3's navigation during a test drive. did not like it, but it's not like i was used to anything in a bimmer (owned only honda/toyota's and one mustang cobra)
lol, believe me, it's been over a year and i am still fighting with my m3
Old 03-30-10, 06:45 AM
jwilli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
IMO, it isnt that it leads you to the wrong place, but that it uses routes that consist of mainly main roads that if you were lost, you would want to follow. This is why it may choose roads that you might not take, but are chosen so that you dont get lost.
Like most Toyota Navs that I've used, you have a choice of 3 routes, sometimes they are same, but it gives you choices. I'm wondering if the default choice is what most people use that have complaints.
Old 03-30-10, 08:39 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Lots of POI doesn't exist in real life, but they're in the nav, so it does take you to the wrong places.

Quick Reply: sat nav