RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

No full size spare or alloy wheel on the '10 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 05:14 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Alenzas are pretty good. Got $70 from Michelin last October, sweetened the deal even more. Only wish I had them on the 450h
Old 04-05-10, 05:14 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

The dealers should be a one stop shopping place. The 1st who does this will win out a ton of customers.
Old 05-16-10, 04:57 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by kitlz
Alenzas are pretty good. Got $70 from Michelin last October, sweetened the deal even more. Only wish I had them on the 450h
kitlz, what's your experience with the Alenzas during the winter in snow and slush? I've heard they are fine in very light snow and light rain but loses traction in heavier snow or rain. I think Tire Rack's own test report said they were fine in dry condition and light snow. My neighbor and I have had excellent experience with the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 on our RX.

I have never touched the spare nor do I rotate it. I just rotate 4 tires only like most people. However, when time comes to change tires, I always buy just 3 new tires to take advantage of the new spare and I save one of the old tires for spare.
Old 05-16-10, 06:13 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

LexusPia, I had excellent results in the snow with the Alenzas. Many times when I came across closed main roads, I chose the side streets and made my own trails up and down some precarious hills. I would also go out during bad storms (20+") after some plowing to test them. Never got stuck, even in the snow/slush piles. Rain was no problem either. Only quirk and it's the RX, not the tires, was a little slide in the back end during turns in the snow. I made sure I took those slow.

The Alenzas replaced the crappy Goodyears so I can't comment about the Michelins other than I've had great luck with them in the past. I wish they would make a tire similar to ones I put on my '99. Loved them!
Attached Thumbnails No full size spare or alloy wheel on the '10 RX?-get-attachment.aspx.jpg  
Old 05-16-10, 08:20 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Who among us has been able to utilize the 5 wheel rotation and thereby gaining some plusses on having the 5th wheel?

?
Who? I have. When I replaced the four, that 5th tire became one of the 4 and the best of the remaining ones became the spare. In fact, because it had never been ridden on, the tire dealer included it in the road hazzard insurance for the new tires, just as if it had been brand new.
Old 05-16-10, 01:45 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocsrx350
2010's are ugly as sin, they should of just put a toyota emblem on the frt. I will never buy another rx looking like that......bmw x5 here I come, when its time
Be prepared for BMW Service costs and lack of reliability.
Old 05-16-10, 01:49 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Just saw a '10 RX in a store parking lot with a compact spare and wheel mounted.
Another downgrade to cut costs?
BMW, Mercedes and Lexus (pretty much everyone actually) have moved to "space saver' wheels to reduce weight (amongst other reasons). I don't like it but with a serious tyre sealant kit (good for 500 miles) and the space saver, I can live with it (not much choice actually).

At least it's an option with Lexus (you just lose storage space in the rear). You end up with a seriously ugly externally mounted wheel on an ML and I don't believe (could be wrong) that it's an option with BMW.
Old 05-16-10, 05:55 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

its really a space thing more than anything. Overseas RXs get the full size spare but the entire cargo floor is raised by like 2 inches to fit it. I dont think I would trade that for a full sized spare.
Old 05-16-10, 06:35 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree. I like the idea of a 5 tire rotation as I did that myself on the LS. However, if it means having a hump in the cargo compartment, then I can live with a 4 tire rotation. Besides, it's a lot simpler and the spare would only be on and off same day, as I repair my own flats as well...
Old 05-20-10, 06:03 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't mind having the car delivered with a funny spare, if the spare compartment was big enough for a full sized tire. Lexus gets a "double plus ungood" on that one. If you have a flat, the performance of the vehicle is severely affected, your range on the spare is limited, and you are limited below the speed limits of typical interstate highways.

If that isn't enough, the full sized flat tire will not fit in the trunk compartment. You might end up carrying luggage in the front seat. Totally unacceptable in a supposedly higher end car.
Old 05-20-10, 07:11 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

I used to put my spare tire into the rotation for many years... not any more. No need to do so, it just makes life harder.

But, in fact, I'd prefer to get the full size spare tire.
Old 05-21-10, 03:35 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
its really a space thing more than anything. Overseas RXs get the full size spare but the entire cargo floor is raised by like 2 inches to fit it. I dont think I would trade that for a full sized spare.
It's only partially raised. Hard to explain but it's ugly as sin and you lose too much space. Can't have a rear mat protector either.
Old 05-22-10, 10:03 AM
Orbit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cadillac SRX standard has no spare at all. They give you a can of sealant and an air pump.
Old 05-24-10, 06:23 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For more info on the funny spare, with pictures of how poorly a flat would fit in the funny spare well...see:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...are-usage.html

The funny spare is a dreadful oversight....restricts your range of driving and driving speeds to 50 mph. Prohibits the use of chains. Affects driving characteristics. Drastic reduction of luggage space in the trunk if the full size "flat" tire is put in the storage well.

Obviously, Lexus expects you to call for help. Unfortunately, as Murphy would have it, you are most likely to have a flat when calling for help isn't an option.
Old 05-24-10, 10:49 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbit
Cadillac SRX standard has no spare at all. They give you a can of sealant and an air pump.
Whaaaaaat?

Quick Reply: No full size spare or alloy wheel on the '10 RX?