RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

No full size spare or alloy wheel on the '10 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 10:52 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
For more info on the funny spare, with pictures of how poorly a flat would fit in the funny spare well...see:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...are-usage.html

The funny spare is a dreadful oversight....restricts your range of driving and driving speeds to 50 mph. Prohibits the use of chains. Affects driving characteristics. Drastic reduction of luggage space in the trunk if the full size "flat" tire is put in the storage well.

Obviously, Lexus expects you to call for help. Unfortunately, as Murphy would have it, you are most likely to have a flat when calling for help isn't an option.
I carry a flat repair kit, so a changeover is as close as the next gas station where.

Tires are not that hard to repair once you get the hang of it...
Old 05-25-10, 08:05 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny
Whaaaaaat?
I got a rental VW in Spain a couple of years ago with that arrangement. Suggested max speed was 50 kph.....and I was going to driving on an interstate....
Old 05-26-10, 06:09 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
For more info on the funny spare, with pictures of how poorly a flat would fit in the funny spare well...see:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...are-usage.html

The funny spare is a dreadful oversight....restricts your range of driving and driving speeds to 50 mph. Prohibits the use of chains. Affects driving characteristics. Drastic reduction of luggage space in the trunk if the full size "flat" tire is put in the storage well.

Obviously, Lexus expects you to call for help. Unfortunately, as Murphy would have it, you are most likely to have a flat when calling for help isn't an option.
The purpose of the spare is to get you out of a jam so that you can head directly to the tire shop to get the flat repaired. It is not meant to be used for any extended period of time.

Considering the times most people have to actually use the spare, I think Lexus has made the right design decision. I much rather carry the donut spare that weighs a lot less and takes up less space than a full-size spare.

Who really has to drive faster than 50mph, or have to put chains on a spare on the way to getting the flat repaired? Not very likely scenarios.
Old 05-26-10, 06:16 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I can only remember 1 time in my entire driving life (been driving for 43 years) that I needed to use a spare on the road. On the other hand, I can remember a handful of times that something else failed and left me stranded. So I guess I am OK with the donut spare, and would probably be OK with no spare and just a can of sealant along with my cell phone and/or Lexus assist. I would rather have some underfloor storage.