RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navi question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 03:32 AM
opchiasm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navi question

Thanks in advance for any help. I've read the manual, read posts, and am still having trouble.

Basically, I want to know the quickest/easiest way to, for example, find a list of the closest Starbucks while driving. It seems like the most basic function to me, but I just can't get the system to do it. Perhaps part of the problem is that I've been using a Garmin for some time and haven't grasped a new system. Also, I'm stupid.

In any event, I'd very much appreciate any guidance. No pun intended. Thanks.
Old 03-31-10, 01:23 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by opchiasm
Thanks in advance for any help. I've read the manual, read posts, and am still having trouble.

Basically, I want to know the quickest/easiest way to, for example, find a list of the closest Starbucks while driving. It seems like the most basic function to me, but I just can't get the system to do it. Perhaps part of the problem is that I've been using a Garmin for some time and haven't grasped a new system. Also, I'm stupid.

In any event, I'd very much appreciate any guidance. No pun intended. Thanks.
Easy, just set your NAV POI's for what you want IE: fast food restaurants. At distances of (I think) 10 miles or less it will show them and if you hover over them with the courser, you can even punch one open and have the NAV system dial the listed phone number. Pretty kool and really gets your passengers attention if you call for reservations .
Old 03-31-10, 03:17 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Or call Lexus. They'll download the directions to your RX. Might have to stop though.
Old 03-31-10, 05:10 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Or call Lexus. They'll download the directions to your RX. Might have to stop though.
Okay, I need to explore your answer just a bit. I use Lexus help often, but I've never said "Find a Starbucks (or some such) near me. They'll do that for you?

I've never had to stop. We talk, they download, I click okay and then follow the nav all while rolling. Did you mean something else?

I haven't had the car long enough to have the nav operation down pat. Calling Lexus seems easier and faster sometimes.

Thanks,
Old 03-31-10, 06:15 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

David, sorry, I should have explained it a little better. It's part of the Lexus Enform system.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...wKG98G!5999726

To use it, on your nav, click on destination, destination assist and you're connected to a Lexus operator. Tell them what you're looking for and they'll send directions to your nav. I think you have to be stopped to accept the download, part of the nav lockout. I haven't used it myself but I watched the demo. Pretty neat. It's good for a year, then you have to pay for it. All the details are in the link above.
Old 03-31-10, 07:36 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I've use it often. You do not have to stop. You chit chat for a bit, they send it to the car, you click enter on the nav screen and then the routing begins. No stopping. It's all animated on the screen. They go off-line during the download and come back on-line after the download to tell you how to save the destination. Using the proper name of the location helps. I said "Dave's BBQ" instead of "Famous Dave's BBQ" and it took the operator a bit longer than usual.

What I haven't done is ask for something near my current location. I may try that and see what they say.

Thanks,
Old 03-31-10, 08:50 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, you can ask the destination assistant for a point of interest nearest to your current location.

They can even give you several options, like the addresses of the three closest Starbucks. Then you can choose which one you'd like to go to.

I've even had them download multiple destinations in a single call.

And yes, this is all done while the vehicle is in motion.
Old 04-01-10, 12:42 AM
opchiasm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much for all the responses. I really appreciate the information.