RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

It's a sad day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 07:20 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I got the car back on Monday. The body shop did a really good job. Perfect, no. The Pearl paint is very hard to get right. I know they did the best they could but, upon inspection on Tuesday in bright day light, I can see where they fogged in the Pearl coat.

The only good news is is that there is no carfax report on this incident and they were able to transfer the VIN tag on the door. Actually the door shuts just as tight as the original and the rattle is gone. The dealer says no diminished value. However, if there was a carfax history and the VIN tag was gone it is a $6000 hit.

Since the car is only 4 months old and 2K miles I am going to get a new one, my cost.
The dealer has quoted me $10K to get the same exact car again. Since I keep a car for 5 years and it was repaired on the drivers side, not the passengers, I feel the need to do this as I will always see the repair and feel cheated. I hate being OCD.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet as the one I want is on a slow boat from Japan. 2-3 weeks I've been told. And once again it has to be shipped here because our area does not stock this loaded of RX in AWD.

I'll keep you posted.

Michael
Old 04-22-10, 07:26 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Here are a couple pictures . They fogged in the front fender and now the color does not match perfectly with the bumper. They also fogged in the back roof line above the small window.
Attached Thumbnails It's a sad day!-rx-001.jpg   It's a sad day!-rx-002.jpg  
Old 04-22-10, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Well, I got the car back on Monday. The body shop did a really good job. Perfect, no. The Pearl paint is very hard to get right. I know they did the best they could but, upon inspection on Tuesday in bright day light, I can see where they fogged in the Pearl coat.

The only good news is is that there is no carfax report on this incident and they were able to transfer the VIN tag on the door. Actually the door shuts just as tight as the original and the rattle is gone. The dealer says no diminished value. However, if there was a carfax history and the VIN tag was gone it is a $6000 hit.

Since the car is only 4 months old and 2K miles I am going to get a new one, my cost.
The dealer has quoted me $10K to get the same exact car again. Since I keep a car for 5 years and it was repaired on the drivers side, not the passengers, I feel the need to do this as I will always see the repair and feel cheated. I hate being OCD.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet as the one I want is on a slow boat from Japan. 2-3 weeks I've been told. And once again it has to be shipped here because our area does not stock this loaded of RX in AWD.

I'll keep you posted.

Michael
good to hear the car is back.

curious though, transferring the vin sticker, is that legal?
Old 04-22-10, 01:59 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so sad you feel you have to essentially take a $10K hit for something beyond your control. I empathize because I know I would always see the imperfection if it were my car. But the funny thing is, 99% of other people looking at the car would not, but you, knowing it's there, would always zero in on the imperfection and, if like me, your blood pressure would rise. Best of luck and again I feel for you
Old 04-22-10, 02:40 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be a rather dumb question but why are you selling it back to the dealer?

Unless its under a lease agmt and you'd owe remaining stream-of-payments to get out of it...you could sell to a private party and take a smaller hit for a RX with only 2k miles on it and no critical-area damage that, legally and ethically, you'd have to report to the buyer. "Yes Sir/Mam, that side of the vehicle was repainted because there was some door damage (you could show them the "before" photo) - pretty good paint match, right?" Just don't find an OCD buyer! Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by jeffmust; 04-22-10 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 03:32 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have diminished value in this car. Once it was hit you lost value in a car that you could have gotten extra money out of it at the end when you wanted to sell the car. As for as the paint goes if you are no happy with it take it back and make them fix it right point out what you do not like about it. There is no whole sell on a new car this Dealer is just picking a price for ADP (Additional Dealer Profit). Go to another dealer (or call a bunch of them) even if you have to take a road trip to do it and see how there numbers stack up against that 10k. If you do trade out for another one you can do a change of collateral with who ever is holding the paper on the first car this only works if the second car cost the same or more than the first one did. That will save you some cost on the loan that you have already paid. But an extra 10K for a car you will never be right side up on this car you will lose money in this deal big time that you will never be able to get back. This car will become a money pit. Good Luck in whatever you thing is right for you.
Old 04-22-10, 06:48 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Trade in

Before you trade it in, get a written cash offer from CARMAX and use it to negotiate with the dealer. You have to factor in any sales tax credit you might get from the trade in. The best thing however is to fight with the body shop or live the imperfection. A perfect finish is only as good as your next door dent!
Old 04-22-10, 07:48 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ziggy1
so sad you feel you have to essentially take a $10K hit for something beyond your control. I empathize because I know I would always see the imperfection if it were my car. But the funny thing is, 99% of other people looking at the car would not, but you, knowing it's there, would always zero in on the imperfection and, if like me, your blood pressure would rise. Best of luck and again I feel for you
This is exactly how I feel. I can't live with it for five years. The guy was extremely apologetic and he did pay for everything.

I would rather trade it in at the Dealership and let them deal with it. They know the history of the vehicle. The car was paid for cash so there is no loan to worry about. By using it for trade-in I save $3500 in taxes that I would have to pay. There is no way I could get that kind of money in a private sale. The Dealership actually called Lexus and they are going to wave the shipping charges on the vehicle, plus they are going to expedite it to the Dealer.

As for the VIN tag....I didn't do it and that's all I care about. If it wasn't there I would be out another $6000.

The car is due in mid May. I will be curious to see what changes they have made since this one. I did notice the other day at the Dealer that they include extensions on the USB and Power Port in the center console plus they have added a coin holder to the center console.

To be continued.......

Last edited by MEP7557; 04-22-10 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 09:19 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Sorry, but not a body repair person...what is meant by "fogged in"?

Oooh, like to see pics of the center console production change.
Old 04-22-10, 09:25 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

USB/Power Plug cords: $9.95 each
Coin Holder on visor: $7.95
Swapping 4-month-old RX for new one: Priceless

Sorry; couldn't resist.

Have to echo previous poster - what happens a month after you take delivery of the new RX and a shopping cart at the supermarket scrapes the perfect finish? Or a few parking lot door dings on the drivers side?

I recall a poster on the Lexus IS board that had his entire IS covered in that protective 3M vinyl material by a professional installation company...now THERE'S a solution. And you never have to wax or worry about bird & sap droppings.

Last edited by jeffmust; 04-22-10 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-23-10, 06:56 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

What if I drop dead tomorrow.

Fogged in is where they take the spray gun and turn it out and away from the car while spraying. Sometimes swirling the gun as they do this. This creates a thinner coat as they try to fade into the existing paint. The biggest problem is is that this is a two step process, color base coat, then the Pearl flakes. The Pearl flakes are the problem here as they are what catch the light to make the affect.

I wish there was another color that I liked. I do like the Light Cashmere but it is not available on this car. The Matador Red is nice but a neighbor has one. The body shop told me that the Matador Red was harder to match than the Pearl. Oh well, life goes on.
Old 04-23-10, 09:41 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

$10K hit just to get a new car that is accident free? i felt that way before, but if you give yourself some time to think about it, that's not really a good idea to do. i mean, what happens if you get into another accident after you get your 2nd RX? are you going to cough up another $10K and switch for a new RX again? accidents happen, it's a fact of life. your best bet would be to repaint the entire car, and i'm sure you can get a good paint job for a couple of thousand dollars. with a new paint job, no one can see the paint imperfection.

Last edited by Stormforge; 04-23-10 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-23-10, 09:58 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you get a kiss from this dealer if you do this
Old 04-23-10, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol, bottom line it was such a minor hit, not even frame damage, not even air bags out, etc... it's nothing more than a cosmetic damage. as long as it's repaired correctly, the car is pretty much as good as ever in terms of safety. it's your call, but 10k coz' of this? i am not going to say much more, it's not my money
Old 04-23-10, 02:05 PM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having a fancy car is a love/hate thing for me. It is obviously nice to drive around in a brand new RX350, but there is the added worry that some a$$hole is gonna come and crash into you. There is something to be said about driving around in a car that you don’t care if it gets hit or not.

My advice is to always drive defensively to an extreme, assume the worst from other drivers, and try to keep one step ahead of them. Always park far away from everybody else, and never in tight spots where somebody can back into you (not that it happened in this situation). You must be alert and on your toes constantly, or you may turn into that a$$hole and damage your car or crash into somebody else.

If you do all that and still get hit, then accept it and go on. It is just a car after all, and no point to obsess over it. You are understandably upset right now, but I’m pretty sure that with time you’ll feel better about the repair. At least you didn’t get the front or rear smashed in. It was just a door that needed to be replaced, no big deal.

Look at it this way: people get their brand new cars crashed all the time. It just so happened your number came up this time. No one is immune from this, and believe me it has happened to me as well. I would certainly have better use for those $10K than to get the same type of car all over again. You obviously know that there is no guarantee that the new car will stay perfect.

Last edited by ajs; 04-23-10 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: It's a sad day!