RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dunlop vs Michelins

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 06:32 PM
lalin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
^^ I agree. My 450h, built last November, came with the Dunlops. The dealer agreed to switch them out for the Michelins but no RXs on the lot had them, only Bridgestone. I'm glad I didn't change them because I've read some complaints here about the Bridgestone. The Dunlops are fine to me.

Are you having issues with the Dunlops?
My RX came with Bridgestone tires. So far they only have 1000 miles and they seems fine to me. What are the problems/complaints with them?
Old 04-27-10, 03:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by lalin
My RX came with Bridgestone tires. So far they only have 1000 miles and they seems fine to me. What are the problems/complaints with them?
I can't find the thread - there are a few - but I believe one of the complaints was road noise.
Old 04-28-10, 06:21 PM
stw2046
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
I had not seen any reviews on the Dunlops last time I looked a few months ago. Since I couldn't switch them out for the Michelins, I'll keep them until they wear out. I think they're ok. One thing I was surprised to find was the Bridgestone Dueler OEM tires that some 3rd gen RXs came with are not as nice as the non-OEM Duelers I had on my '04. So I am going to wait and see if there are more choices when the Dunlops go.

I am glad Lexus finally dropped Goodyear. Now they were crappy tires
I'd suggest the Yoko's parada X once your Dunlops run out. Anyway, you have pics for your car?? Seems like it's fully loaded. NICE!!! BTW, where did you get those JDM Visors, and for how much?? Thanks again for the reply.
Old 04-28-10, 06:41 PM
stw2046
Driver

Default Hi!

Originally Posted by danhinton
i have dunlops on my vehicle, it was manufactured in japan. After 32,000 km (canada eh?), there was feathering from one tire, because i have awd, all 4 have to changed. This is causing vibration, humming and shaking at certain speeds. I've ordered 4 yokohama parada spec-x from tirerack.com. They are one of the best rated tires for sport luxury vehicles. I can't wait to get them on! After reading reviews on the dunlops, i can't bring myself to replace the tires with another set from the same manufacturer.
may i ask how are those yoko's treating you as compare to your old set??
Old 04-28-10, 07:10 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by stw2046
I'd suggest the Yoko's parada X once your Dunlops run out. Anyway, you have pics for your car?? Seems like it's fully loaded. NICE!!! BTW, where did you get those JDM Visors, and for how much?? Thanks again for the reply.
I jumped on Tire Rack and saw the Yokahamas. Definitely in the running when the Dunlops go. They have a pretty good rating for snow. I usually don't wait until the treads show too much wear so it'll be sooner rather than later. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, I love my 450h It was a special order and has everything I really wanted. The JDM visors I picked up from Luis at Carson, CL vendor here. Awesome guy. I would definitely get in touch with him. They took exactly four weeks to come in. It happened to be the day before I picked up my RX. Dealer installed them for me. They were pricey but look great. People think they came with the car. The visors are a Lexus accessory in Europe but not here
Attached Thumbnails Dunlop vs Michelins-get-attachment.aspx.jpg  
Old 04-30-10, 06:11 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Anita. When the Dunlops go, I'll get a new set of some other brand (probably Michelins that gave me 60,000 + miles on my old Mountaineer) and the Goodyears were bad!!!!!!
Old 05-05-10, 02:58 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

I have the bridgestone tires on my new RX, I had the same tires on my 4runner priviously, I was always happy with them, so far seem to be great in the snow. I think the factory installs the tires based on price and availability if the get a good deal on 10,000 michelin tires then thats what are installed and vice versa.
Old 05-05-10, 04:07 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Our Dunlops have 25k miles on it and still have plenty tread. After having a loaner with Michelins and 19 inch wheels (compared to our 18 inch ) the Michelins were quieter. THere is another poster somewhere who had relatives with same car (10RX), but just different tires who also noticed same difference between Michelins and Dunlops. Can't comment on snow traction, but wet traction is just fine. When these go, will definitely look at Michelins or Yokos given what everyone has said thus far. We're satisfied with Dunlops, but quieter would be a little nicer.
Old 05-05-10, 04:13 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

afpj, just crank the stereo like I do

I'm sure the Michelins are awesome and they are my first pick. But I'd take tire noise for decent all weather tires. I'm keeping my options open when the Dunlops go. They were pretty good in the snow by the way. Pulled the RX up a huge snow covered hill with no slippage.
Old 05-17-10, 08:05 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by lalin
lalin, the word I'm hearing from a Lexus factory rep as well as the dealer is the 19-inch Bridgestones are fine tires except they wear out fairly quickly. They said typical life is about 19k miles if you are a "normal" driver (not agressive). They also said since the new RX AWD runs primarily on front wheel drive mode most of the time, the front tires tend to wear out much faster as compared to the old RX with full-time AWD where the tires wear fairly evenly. The dealer said they are telling customers to rotate the tires every 4 to 6 months to maintain even wear.
Old 05-17-10, 09:03 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Bridgestone on my '10 RXh and Michelins on my last '06 RXh. I had nails removed from both tires, and on the Bridgestone, it took much much more force to removed than the Michelins.
In another words, this tells me Bridgestone uses tougher rubber than the Michelins. Road noice with increase as well.
BTW, I replaced a new set of Michelins on the '06 around 30K.