RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Need Advice with 2010 RX350 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 03:24 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
not really surprised by their conclusion. It is true that it is not a warranty issue. sorry about that
As he describes it the scratches were there when he took delivery of the car, so it is completely a warranty issue, just as it was with my LS. The sad thing is once fixed the swirls and scratches will return due to quality, or lack of quality, of the paint finish. My dealership stood behind the product and they were committed to finding a fix. When I found the fixed before they could they paid the bill and put me in a loaner car.
For me Lexus comes in only one color, white. It may not be the most handsome color but taking into account the alternative I will always stick with white until Lexus paint is improved.
I am very sorry to hear other Lexus dealerships aren't as good as mine. It was the customer service that pulled me from the German camp. If Lexus forgets their commitment to customer service I will be the first one out the door.
Old 06-05-10, 04:29 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I guess I would agree if the car scratches were produced at the factory. However, if it happens during transit and even during dealer prep, it isnt a "defect" in the production process. I think it would be categorized as wear and tear.

Copied from the Lexus Warranty Guide:

This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Lexus, except in the following situations:
•Fire, accidents or theft.
•Abuse or negligence.
•Misuse-for example, racing or overloading.
•Improper repairs.
•Alteration or tampering.
•Lack of or improper maintenance, including use of fluids other than those specified in the Warranty and Services Guide.
•Airborne chemicals, tree sap, road debris (including stone chips), rail dust, salt, hail, floods, windstorms, lightning and other environmental conditions.
•Water contamination.
•Noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear.

Clearly this was negligence on the part of the dealer, also the scratches could have been caused by anything in the air, or anything used to wash it
Old 06-05-10, 07:39 PM
DNC
Advanced

I guess I would agree if the car scratches were produced at the factory. However, if it happens during transit and even during dealer prep, it isnt a "defect" in the production process. I think it would be categorized as wear and tear.

Copied from the Lexus Warranty Guide:

This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Lexus, except in the following situations:
•Fire, accidents or theft.
•Abuse or negligence.
•Misuse-for example, racing or overloading.
•Improper repairs.
•Alteration or tampering.
•Lack of or improper maintenance, including use of fluids other than those specified in the Warranty and Services Guide.
•Airborne chemicals, tree sap, road debris (including stone chips), rail dust, salt, hail, floods, windstorms, lightning and other environmental conditions.
•Water contamination.
•Noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear.

Clearly this was negligence on the part of the dealer, also the scratches could have been caused by anything in the air, or anything used to wash it
You don't think things are replaced under warranty due to excessive wear? I remember a couple of cases of seat covers replacement due to excessive wear. A car should not look as the poster has described upon delivery. Again, the scratches are there because the paint finish isn't what it should be.

Please stop responding to these kinds of post just to take the side of Lexus. You offer no solution to the posters question and you sound like a child defending his favorite super hero. As best I remember you don't even own a 2010 RX.
I'm glad my dealership doesn't subscribe to your train of thought.
Old 06-05-10, 08:39 PM
codyrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the whole thing has been a complete disappointment. This is a vehicle my wife dreamed about for a couple years and when I finally break down and buy it for her, we get to endure what we have since day 1 of ownership. The appropriate thing for this dealership to have done was to take it back, slap a certified Pre Owned on it and sell it for a couple/3 thousand less than a new one to someone who doesn't care about scratches.....since its not new! And then put us in a new one. To turn their shoulder on us, and change their story 2-3 times is completely unacceptable. And the fact that LEXUS can do nothing about it except sit idly by, while a new Lexus customer gets screwed and potentially costs the company future customers by spreading an ill view of their vehicles, just blows me away. Oh well, as is life, sometimes you just get the short end of the stick, and I assure you that although I may end up with the short end of the stick from another manufacturer on down the road, Lexus will never have the opportunity of serving me the short end of the stick again!
Old 06-05-10, 08:54 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by codyrx
Yeah the whole thing has been a complete disappointment. This is a vehicle my wife dreamed about for a couple years and when I finally break down and buy it for her, we get to endure what we have since day 1 of ownership. The appropriate thing for this dealership to have done was to take it back, slap a certified Pre Owned on it and sell it for a couple/3 thousand less than a new one to someone who doesn't care about scratches.....since its not new! And then put us in a new one. To turn their shoulder on us, and change their story 2-3 times is completely unacceptable. And the fact that LEXUS can do nothing about it except sit idly by, while a new Lexus customer gets screwed and potentially costs the company future customers by spreading an ill view of their vehicles, just blows me away. Oh well, as is life, sometimes you just get the short end of the stick, and I assure you that although I may end up with the short end of the stick from another manufacturer on down the road, Lexus will never have the opportunity of serving me the short end of the stick again!
I hate hearing of this kind of thing happening to anyone. Chances are your dealer could have fixed the problem in time, but without proper care it will only return. As I have said, this has been a problem for Lexus from day one. Let's hope this new type of paint will fix it. They have so many things they have done right.
Old 06-05-10, 09:52 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
As he describes it the scratches were there when he took delivery of the car, so it is completely a warranty issue,
It's a shame the car was not checked good, or not checked at all, by the buyer before he took delivery. Based on what these cars cost it seems like a common sense thing to do. It seems like a thing we would all do before taking delivery. If you don't, you open yourself up to all kinds of potential problems. It's also a shame it was driven hundreds of miles before the defect was noticed. Had the car been checked by the buyer prior to delivery I think this thread could have been avoided. I can't see any valid excuse in not inspecting a car good prior to delivery. I've purchased 3 cars from my Lexus dealership, and would still never trust them to take delivery based on their word the cars O.K., without my inspection of the car.
I think it would be interesting to hear the dealership side of this issue before passing judgement.
Old 06-05-10, 10:06 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4482
It's a shame the car was not checked good, or not checked at all, by the buyer before he took delivery. Based on what these cars cost it seems like a common sense thing to do. It seems like a thing we would all do before taking delivery. If you don't, you open yourself up to all kinds of potential problems. It's also a shame it was driven hundreds of miles before the defect was noticed. Had the car been checked by the buyer prior to delivery I think this thread could have been avoided. I can't see any valid excuse in not inspecting a car good prior to delivery. I've purchased 3 cars from my Lexus dealership, and would still never trust them to take delivery based on their word the cars O.K., without my inspection of the car.
I think it would be interesting to hear the dealership side of this issue before passing judgement.
In defense of everyone involved such monsters don't usually come out in day light. Night time and incandescent light is the test. With our LS it was not obvious in daylight; I checked it, the general manager and two salesmen checked it. When night came and other headlamps hit the car's finish we were all very surprised.
If you want to know the dealership side maybe you should call them. Until then we have no reason to believe the poster is lying especially given this has been an issue for a lot of customers, including me.
Old 06-05-10, 10:09 PM
codyrx
Driver School Candidate

You are correct, and I accept whatever responsibility I can in that we screwed up by taking delivery of a vehicle after dark on a Saturday night with the following day being Easter Sunday and us living 360 miles from the dealership. But that still doesn't have anything to do with Lexus and or the dealership taking responsibility for what was done. I never dreamed that a company like Lexus would treat us the way they have, maybe a Big 3 company, but not Lexus right? If it werent a 14 hour round trip drive, and a little thing called work, it would have been parked back at the dealership first thing Monday morning. Hey it is what it is , we got screwed and have learned from the experience, never again!

On a side note,to make matters even worse, a couple days ago the wife got hit by a small rock in the windshield from a passing pickup and theres a big fat bullseye in the windshield with 2 cracks spreading away from it. Are Lexus windshields as soft as their paint? Man am I loving our new RX!
Old 06-05-10, 10:39 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
If you want to know the dealership side maybe you should call them. Until then we have no reason to believe the poster is lying especially given this has been an issue for a lot of customers, including me.
(Well, I know this is my first post here but I really need some advice from other Lexus owners. I bought my wife a 2010 RX350 black sapphire in color about 3 weeks ago. We drove 350 miles to the nearest Lexus dealer to buy it. We closed the deal late (after closing) on a Saturday and then drove the 350 miles home the following morning. The Lexus was unbelievable for the road trip home, we were in love with it by the time we got home. Once home family and friends came over to look at it at which time my mother (whos eyesight isn't very good) , asks us if its used. Obviously I replied no.......its brand new. She then remarks that it has so many scratches on it. Well low and behold ...it does. It has swirled scratches on every panel of the vehicle. I swear it looks like someone in detail washed it with a dirty mit from looking at the swirls.) End of quote

So, someone whose eyesight isn't very good spotted the problem, and no one noticed it until then.

Lets be fair !
Old 06-05-10, 10:55 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by codyrx
You are correct, and I accept whatever responsibility I can in that we screwed up by taking delivery of a vehicle after dark on a Saturday night with the following day being Easter Sunday and us living 360 miles from the dealership. But that still doesn't have anything to do with Lexus and or the dealership taking responsibility for what was done. I never dreamed that a company like Lexus would treat us the way they have, maybe a Big 3 company, but not Lexus right? If it werent a 14 hour round trip drive, and a little thing called work, it would have been parked back at the dealership first thing Monday morning. Hey it is what it is , we got screwed and have learned from the experience, never again!

On a side note,to make matters even worse, a couple days ago the wife got hit by a small rock in the windshield from a passing pickup and theres a big fat bullseye in the windshield with 2 cracks spreading away from it. Are Lexus windshields as soft as their paint? Man am I loving our new RX!
Codyrx, As you can see there are a number of Lexus cheer leaders on here that cannot take anything being posted negative about Lexus. I believe your story as the same thing has happened to me and my local dealership. In my 15 years of forum memberships I have never belong to another with this kind of thought process. Please don't let those few prevent you from posting by indirectly accusing you of laying. Most of those few know little more than how to start their cars and are just so happy to have a Lexus they can't be objective. This kind of thing seems only to happen often in the RX forums. Most people on here will help you in anyway they can. You have to overlook the others.
Old 06-05-10, 10:58 PM
codyrx
Driver School Candidate

So what is your point? The first time we got look at it in the sunshine was when we got home. You obviously have some need to defend Lexus as opposed to accepting that they screwed the pooch. Like DNC has stated, its no secret that Lexus uses really soft paint (wish I knew this before buying obviously), just go to any search engine and type Lexus Paint problem or Lexus Paint issues, there are lots of people out there that have battled the same thing I am, or worse and for years.
Old 06-05-10, 10:59 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

DNC, you are quite remarkable. Can you even see that you could be so possibly blinded by the fact that you are against Lexus and their painting process that you are the one defending the entity that shouldnt be defended? I have nothing against the OP, but my sympathies. I can only state that this is a dealership problem, and even he admits that he should have thoroughly checked the car.

I think we can move past the personal attacks now. And the last time I checked, I didnt have to own an 3gen RX to make my opinions.

Lets look at it from Lexus' POV, shall we?
1) they have no idea what you have done to the car since you did not notice this at delivery. Even if it was there, you have no proof and they have no reason to believe you
2) the dealer did in fact try to fix the problem at goodwill, at the expense of the dealer but made it worse. Not the fault of the dealer but the fault of the detailer whom they brought it to.
3) Lexus corp will likely not take a few thousand dollars due to the negligence of its own dealer or the customer.

Again sorry to the OP, but that is the truth.
Old 06-05-10, 11:06 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4482
(Well, I know this is my first post here but I really need some advice from other Lexus owners. I bought my wife a 2010 RX350 black sapphire in color about 3 weeks ago. We drove 350 miles to the nearest Lexus dealer to buy it. We closed the deal late (after closing) on a Saturday and then drove the 350 miles home the following morning. The Lexus was unbelievable for the road trip home, we were in love with it by the time we got home. Once home family and friends came over to look at it at which time my mother (whos eyesight isn't very good) , asks us if its used. Obviously I replied no.......its brand new. She then remarks that it has so many scratches on it. Well low and behold ...it does. It has swirled scratches on every panel of the vehicle. I swear it looks like someone in detail washed it with a dirty mit from looking at the swirls.) End of quote

So, someone whose eyesight isn't very good spotted the problem, and no one noticed it until then.

Lets be fair !
I don't see a need to cross examine posters or question their integrity. When I don't believe someone is telling the truth I simply to respond to their post. I found your response rude and a bad first impression for a new member.
Old 06-05-10, 11:09 PM
codyrx
Driver School Candidate

3) Lexus corp will likely not take a few thousand dollars due to the negligence of its own dealer or the customer.
And that right there is the most retarded thought process when a company considers the backlash of a very pissed off new vehicle owner. When I worked in the car business there was a saying. When you lose one customer, you actually lose a 100. Everyone that person interacts with will hear that person's horror stories and it will be engraved in their mind for future purchases. My wife is in a position of upper management in her work, her peers are the caliber of consumers that purchase vehicles like a Lexus and they have all watched how this thing has played out and I can assure you that their reactions were not one of......ooooh I cant wait to buy a new Lexus. Its sad, because a couple thousand dollar loss in replacing our vehicle could have turned us around as far as loyalty and satisfaction goes (remember...we love everything else about the vehicle), instead we are spewing negativity to all who remark and gawk at her car. Its not good for Lexus, that I assure you. Its not like Lexus sells millions of vehicles a year and can afford to lose a customer here and there. In addition, there is no Lexus dealership in our town of 100,000 people, so to make the decision to buy a car from a dealer 360 miles away is not an easy one, anyone we talk to that was considering going down to Anchorage to buy one because they really want a Lexus, wont after hearing our shpeel.

Last edited by codyrx; 06-05-10 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 11:10 PM
DNC
Advanced

DNC, you are quite remarkable. Can you even see that you could be so possibly blinded by the fact that you are against Lexus and their painting process that you are the one defending the entity that shouldnt be defended? I have nothing against the OP, but my sympathies. I can only state that this is a dealership problem, and even he admits that he should have thoroughly checked the car.

I think we can move past the personal attacks now. And the last time I checked, I didnt have to own an 3gen RX to make my opinions.

Lets look at it from Lexus' POV, shall we?
1) they have no idea what you have done to the car since you did not notice this at delivery. Even if it was there, you have no proof and they have no reason to believe you
2) the dealer did in fact try to fix the problem at goodwill, at the expense of the dealer but made it worse. Not the fault of the dealer but the fault of the detailer whom they brought it to.

Again sorry to the OP, but that is the truth.
When someone post a question they aren't asking us to sit here like judges. They are asking for help. And they aren't asking you to defend Lexus.
If I were aganist Lexus I would not own one, much less 3 new one's.

Quick Reply: Need Advice with 2010 RX350 Problem