RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Need Advice with 2010 RX350 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 11:19 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

fine. I give up. Life goes on

/rant

*grabs blood pressure medicine*
Old 06-06-10, 06:09 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 213 Likes on 146 Posts

so the moral of the story is:

a. buy a lighter colored vehicle
b. examine the vehicle in the sun/daylight upon delivery
c. lexus has horrible paint

wonder if this is the Canada/Japan argument all over again. My black sapphire car looks great, and was obviously built in Japan.

What is the build date of your RX? it should say somewhere on the label inside the driver door. Thought I remember someone mentioning the paint from the Canadian RX plant had gotten better, circa March/April.
Old 06-06-10, 07:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Any car brand dealer can mess up black paint on any vehicle.
Black paint is a biatch to take care of no matter who the car manufacturer may be.
When it comes to black,so called Lexus soft paint or other company's paint will have the same problems if not detailed correctly.
Black paint isn't just a color,it's an obsession.
I'm OCD with my vehicles and had two black vehicles and swore I'd never buy another and I won't.
Old 06-06-10, 10:02 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think enough facts/opinions have been written on this paint issue for people to make their own judgement as to why there was a problem in the first place.
I'm on this forum to learn about my Lexus and exchange ideas. Yes I like my Lexus. If I hated it like some on this forum appear to do, the car would be gone...fast. Even with my blown tranny at 2400 miles I'm still a Lexus fan.

Fair minded people have learned much from this thread. These cars cost far too much money to not do our homework about them before we buy, and check them thoroughly at time of delivery. My experience after buying over a dozen new cars in my lifetime, and the last 3 being a Lexus, that no one preps them better for delivery. I myself have never discovered a defect while inspecting any Lexus I've purchased. I can't say that about the new American and German cars I purchased over the years. It was always "make a list of things wrong and we'll fix it at the 1000 mile check".

Lets be fair.
Old 06-06-10, 11:39 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
I think enough facts/opinions have been written on this paint issue for people to make their own judgement as to why there was a problem in the first place.
I'm on this forum to learn about my Lexus and exchange ideas. Yes I like my Lexus. If I hated it like some on this forum appear to do, the car would be gone...fast. Even with my blown tranny at 2400 miles I'm still a Lexus fan.

Fair minded people have learned much from this thread. These cars cost far too much money to not do our homework about them before we buy, and check them thoroughly at time of delivery. My experience after buying over a dozen new cars in my lifetime, and the last 3 being a Lexus, that no one preps them better for delivery. I myself have never discovered a defect while inspecting any Lexus I've purchased. I can't say that about the new American and German cars I purchased over the years. It was always "make a list of things wrong and we'll fix it at the 1000 mile check".

Lets be fair.
Again, let's put the Lexus Kool-Aid down and offer advice to people who ask for help by responding with suggestions, not questioning their integrity. Before you question a person integrity just keep your opinion to yourself. This will drive others away. Being critical about one's car is what enthusiast do, it's nothing personal. My self esteem is not attached to the things I own. There has to be a list somewhere for those who just want to talk about how great they think their cars are.
Old 06-06-10, 12:32 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DNC
Again, let's put the Lexus Kool-Aid down and offer advice to people who ask for help by responding with suggestions, not questioning their integrity. Before you question a person integrity just keep your opinion to yourself. This will drive others away. Being critical about one's car is what enthusiast do, it's nothing personal. My self esteem is not attached to the things I own. There has to be a list somewhere for those who just want to talk about how great they think their cars are.
If I bought a car, any make, in Anchorage on April 3rd I would have found about a foot of snow on the ground. After driving it home for some 7 hours, which is about 360 miles, the first thing I think I'd do is wash the car before showing it off. Having been to Alaska a number of times I can tell you the roads are not always the best, and far from it in April.

No Kool-Aid, just common sense. You have a right to your opinion DNC, and I mine.
Old 06-06-10, 12:57 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4482
If I bought a car, any make, in Anchorage on April 3rd I would have found about a foot of snow on the ground. After driving it home for some 7 hours, which is about 360 miles, the first thing I think I'd do is wash the car before showing it off. Having been to Alaska a number of times I can tell you the roads are not always the best, and far from it in April.

No Kool-Aid, just common sense. You have a right to your opinion DNC, and I mine.
Yes, and I have my opinion of the way you reacted to this new members posting. Read the title of the posting, "I need advice", not I need your opinion as to if I am telling the truth. You simply attacked the posters character. If I took that approach to your posting I could question your intelligence or "common sense". We have to take a posting at it's face value. Who even knowns if all the posters on here even have the car they describe?
Old 06-06-10, 01:04 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by codyrx
Well here is the latest. I went to body shop #3 yesterday per Lexus to have them look at what its going to take to make the paint look like a new car and not a 2 year old swirled up car. They stated that they would have to remove the headlights,taillights,mirrors, door handles, tape off the trim, and spend endless hours first with a polish and then several more steps for protection,wax,glaze,etc. Estimate is in the $2000+ range. I have advised my dealership and Lexus that this is unacceptable and I will not accept this option! They are supposed to be getting back with me sometime today. I guess we'll see how much Lexus cares about having happy customers.
I have been reading half of the posts here and came across this. This is not accetable. You bought a brand new car and paid for a brand new car. You do not want this kind of 'repair' done on it. In fact the very first time you notice the swirl marks, I would take it back to the dealer and demand that they take your car, fix the swirl marks to your satisfaction. Or give you another one.
I would start writing to Lexus Corporate. Make it a business like letter and be respectful. Explain the problem. And tell them all that has happen including this latest one where they want to dismantle body parts to fix the problem. Tell them that you want a new car.
Old 06-06-10, 01:12 PM
RXSF

^^ In the last two pages, he wrote down the that he spoke to Lexus corp and they denied him any more help.
Old 06-06-10, 01:16 PM
DNC
Advanced

If you don't own a black Lexus, believe me when I say you don't want to own one. Being a black Lexus owner I understand what the original poster is describing.
Old 06-06-10, 01:19 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ In the last two pages, he wrote down the that he spoke to Lexus corp and they denied him any more help.
Yes I read further down and read that.
If that were me, my next action is I will be talking to my attorney. We send a letter to the dealer and Lexus corporate. A lawsuit will ensue if I am not satisfied. And I will be doing a writing campaign to every media and forum I can get hold off telling my story.

This does not sound right. The customer called them the next day so dont tell me the swirls were cause by him. If this is done in the factory then it is a FACTORY DEFECT. And should not be sold or sold at a lower price. It it can not be remove, then it a warranty issue. Talk to a lawyer whose expertise is in the consumer protection area. Good luck.
Old 06-06-10, 01:49 PM
RXSF

Leo,
as we have discussed before, there is no way of proving that it was caused at the factory, and no way of proving that the owner did not subject the car to abuse. We are not questioning the integrity of the OP, but once you take it off the lot, it is yours. A lawyer would probably see this and advise you against it. Plus you would be out attorney fees.
Old 06-06-10, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i haven't posted in a while, i basically didn't want to. but here's what i will say

i have obsidian gs350. i had obsidian ls460l. would i own another black lexus? i have no problem. is it hard to maintain, yes. is it impossible to maintain? no

i talked to OP in private. i showed him pictures and if i understand correctly, his vehicle condition is somewhat like a vehicle i have worked on before. so i assume that is true. if that's the case, and knowing how lexus vehicles pass through inspections (including paint), i don't believe it's a factory problem.

the problem is easily caused by improper wash and drying process, which i have seen far far far too often. imho, i think it's more of a dealership problem. fact is, dealerships are independently own, lexus corp doesn't have full control over them. they can try to work out the issue and recommend dealerships to work with customers, but that's about it.

how dealerships want to handle the issue, that's another different story. i can't comment on this particular dealership though.

and if we go back and talk about the paint itself on OP's car (talk about help), if the condition is something like the car i have worked with, then it's just a matter of good work and patience to get it right. i spent 10 hours on the car and the pictures show the results.

as i have said in the very very beginning. a good detailer is the key. and regarding other comments, if you think lexus paint is inferior, that's mostly because you don't know how to treat them correctly. you think mb and bmw paint is hard and that's good? try to take out the orange peel effect
Attached Thumbnails Need Advice with 2010 RX350 Problem-img_0200_resize.jpg   Need Advice with 2010 RX350 Problem-img_0209_resize.jpg  
Old 06-06-10, 03:36 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DNC
Yes, and I have my opinion of the way you reacted to this new members posting. Read the title of the posting, "I need advice", not I need your opinion as to if I am telling the truth. You simply attacked the posters character. If I took that approach to your posting I could question your intelligence or "common sense". We have to take a posting at it's face value. Who even knowns if all the posters on here even have the car they describe?
I've got a bridge for sale if you're interested.
Old 06-06-10, 03:52 PM
RXSF

rominl, if you were in my neighborhood I would pay good money and ask you to work on my IS300 which is also black. It is in horrible condition.

Quick Reply: Need Advice with 2010 RX350 Problem