RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Informal poll - Repeaters vs Non Repeatears

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 05:17 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If not for the vehicle's dependability and my dealership's outstanding customer service, I would not be a Lexus owner. If either of those two factors were to change I would leave the Lexus camp.
Old 05-16-10, 02:04 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is my 1st & most likely last lexus

i don't dislike the vehicle enough to sell it, but i'm disappointed in what i received for the premium i paid

i expect all vehicles from all manufacturers to have some problems

my biggest gripe w/ the RX is all the squeaks & rattles i keep getting inside

although there was more raod noise in my 98 grand cherokee i traded in, it didn't have all the cabin noises

when test driving the RX i asked the dealer what i was getting for the extra $7k i was paying over the cost of a highlander

he replied a longer warranty, a quieter ride & the lexus experience

i feel i was jipped on the quieter ride
Old 05-16-10, 05:14 PM
Joe G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First and last.
No surprise there considering the “bad luck” we had.
Relate to DNC’s comment regarding dealership customer service.
Should be a top priority when spending 50K on a vehicle, my opinion anyway.
Dealership we purchased from fell way short in that area.
Will be trying another dealership in our area soon, 6500 miles presently.
Hope the relationship works out, since this RX is ours for keeps due to the CARFAX.
Old 05-16-10, 05:37 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

It is most unfortunate that some people here are experiencing some negative qualities about the car and the brand.

However, just to play devils advocate,
-those who are saying that you shouldnt be experiencing these things in a 50K car...

to be fair, the RX is a 37K car...meaning that the frame, interior fit and finish is based on that, not the OTD price with all the options. Those who have a 40K RX and those who have it loaded up to the heavens are still going to have the same rattles since it was designed with those oversights. Loading it up with technology doesnt change the fact that the B pillar is the same (reference to the B Pillar rattle), storage console is the same, or the homelink buttons are the same.

But yes, it sucks that the car has these little quibbles. I hope they get sorted out quickly, as in the next model year
Old 05-16-10, 05:52 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

RXSF, I wonder if the RX is made in Japan or Canada comes into play here. Not that I like to think there is a difference. Mine have all been Japan made.
Old 05-16-10, 05:58 PM
RXSF

im sure worries about Canadian built RXs are unfounded, though I personally like mine built in Japan.

Theoreticlly it should be the same, from the parts to the machines that put it together. Bothof my RXs have been well built and are from Japan, but they werent/arent without rattles. Its just really hard for car manufactures to make a rattle free car
Old 05-16-10, 06:13 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Makes sense. Watching the special on how the RX350 is made in Canada on Discovery Channel a while back, it's obvious the attention to detail is there. Sadly I know some would disagree.

BTW, no rattles on my 450h, knock on wood.
Old 05-16-10, 06:41 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Speaking of wood... Anybody know if the wood in the RX is real? I know the higher end Lexus cars have some, but it's hard to tell nowadays. My guess is it's not in the RX...
Old 05-16-10, 07:01 PM
lalin
Rookie

Ipod - get a VML
*$15K cars have better iPod integration than the RX

Non illuminated buttons - all buttons illuminated on mine
*Look again, the memory seats, reading lights, opening garage buttons and the words temperature do not have LEDs

Storage console - nothing wrong with it.
*It is a cavernous useless console topped with two cheapy coin compartments and an impossible to reach line in/USB connectors.

Single exhaust - don't care.
*Every other Toyota/Lexus and MANY other under $30K cars have dual. Why is the RX any less?

Noisier engine - not that I've noticed
*Drive an RX330 and then tell me if you notice it.

Bumpier ride - trade off for better handling - you Yanks are too soft!
*If I wanted performance on an SUV, I would have purchased an Infinity FX

Build quality - outstanding
*In many aspects this is true. However there are too many complaints about rattling sounds and other issues.

Service by Lexus - outstanding
*Cannot answer that one yet. My car only has under 2000 miles.

If you think these are major issues, then please sell your RX and purchase a BMW X5. You will spend more time having it fixed than driving it!
* I hate the X5, but I am going to research the Q5.

Given that we pay a lot more than you Yanks do (try US$90K for my 2010 RX), I have zero complaints.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-16-10, 08:05 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Well, mine is also Canadian-made, without rattles. But it's also my first and most likely is my last Lexus. The main reason I chose Lexus over Acura was for build quality. Quality of materials is good, for most part. Quality of paint is absolutely horrid. Very disappointed.
Old 05-16-10, 09:50 PM
RXSF

Speaking of wood... Anybody know if the wood in the RX is real? I know the higher end Lexus cars have some, but it's hard to tell nowadays. My guess is it's not in the RX...
the wood in all lexus cars a real, no matter how fake looking it might be. they put a lot of laquer on it.

Quality of paint is absolutely horrid. Very disappointed.
that's weird, lexus paint is one of the best in the industry
Old 05-16-10, 10:17 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The dealer told me the wood is made by Yamaha, the piano company. It is very impressive considering the MDX for the same $ has fake. My Japan built RX had rattles but they have all been solved, by me.
Old 05-16-10, 10:25 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by RXSF
that's weird, lexus paint is one of the best in the industry
RXSF, Since you have just called a number of us liars regarding the sorry paint job on Lexus vehicles, please tell us where you get your information of "best in the industry."
Old 05-17-10, 12:09 AM
RXSF

a number of you? I wasnt aware that anybody here has complained about the paint but yourself. But I guess I should have added "IMO" to that. The paint comes out next to perfect from the factory. Obviously, what dealers and consumers do to it is another story

You should see the number of people and press praising Lexus exterior paint, as well as the process. For instance, the LS is wet sanded by hand, which no other manufacturer does except for the really premium vehicles, like Bentleys. But it really doesnt take much to see. Whenever I see my orange peel-less Lexus cars next to my horribly orange peeled Merc, I am reminded of the Lexus quality
Old 05-17-10, 12:56 AM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by RXSF
a number of you? I wasnt aware that anybody here has complained about the paint but yourself. But I guess I should have added "IMO" to that. The paint comes out next to perfect from the factory. Obviously, what dealers and consumers do to it is another story

You should see the number of people and press praising Lexus exterior paint, as well as the process. For instance, the LS is wet sanded by hand, which no other manufacturer does except for the really premium vehicles, like Bentleys. But it really doesnt take much to see. Whenever I see my orange peel-less Lexus cars next to my horribly orange peeled Merc, I am reminded of the Lexus quality
Yes, others have complained on here, and including the body shop that handles the problems of my local dealership.
I like my two Lexus vehicles but the finish is the softest I have ever encountered.
I would accept some orange peel in exchange for a harder finish.
Again, best paint in the industry according to??

Quick Reply: Informal poll - Repeaters vs Non Repeatears