RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Informal poll - Repeaters vs Non Repeatears

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 02:58 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lalin
Ipod - get a VML
*$15K cars have better iPod integration than the RX
Not that I've seen but for a couple of hundred bucks who cares? Install a VML and the problem is resolved.

Non illuminated buttons - all buttons illuminated on mine
*Look again, the memory seats, reading lights, opening garage buttons and the words temperature do not have LEDs
Aside from the Garage Buttons (which we don't get here) all other buttons are illuminated. Suspect Yank versions are different then.

Storage console - nothing wrong with it.
*It is a cavernous useless console topped with two cheapy coin compartments and an impossible to reach line in/USB connectors.
Again, I don't have any issues but maybe I don't carry around a pile of crap with me that I need to store somewhere.

Single exhaust - don't care.
*Every other Toyota/Lexus and MANY other under $30K cars have dual. Why is the RX any less?
WTF cares? I don't base my purchasing decisions on a minor issue such as this.

Noisier engine - not that I've noticed
*Drive an RX330 and then tell me if you notice it.
Have owned and driven an RX330 and an RX350, still can't tell the difference

Bumpier ride - trade off for better handling - you Yanks are too soft!
*If I wanted performance on an SUV, I would have purchased an Infinity FX
The biggest complaint from the Rest Of The World is that the handling of the old RX models was ****e. I'm glad this has been addressed. BTW, handling is not performance. The ride is still softer than a BMW X5's.

Build quality - outstanding
*In many aspects this is true. However there are too many complaints about rattling sounds and other issues.
Again, too American. No complaints here and why do they keep winning JD Power Surveys then? Trust me, get in an X5 and you will see that Lexus quality is streets ahead of BMW. Only Mercedes matches them for fit and finish.

Service by Lexus - outstanding
*Cannot answer that one yet. My car only has under 2000 miles.
After 4 Lexus and 11 years, I have no issues with my Lexus Dealer's Service Division. They are across town and can't do enough for me.

If you think these are major issues, then please sell your RX and purchase a BMW X5. You will spend more time having it fixed than driving it!
* I hate the X5, but I am going to research the Q5.
Audi and VAG products in general are superior to BMW (AKA German Chevy) but they still have far more issues (particularly with gearboxes) than Lexus. The Q5 is not a comparable vehicle size- wise to an RX.

These are pretty minor issues in the scheme of things. My greatest gripe with this Forum is that the majority of members complain about how much a) the vehicle cost and b) how much servicing is.

Remember: If you can't afford to run and maintain it properly, buy something you can afford.

BTW, European anything costs at least twice as much to run and own.
Old 05-17-10, 06:51 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

I'm a RXh repeat buyer and would likely do it again, but would evaluate other brands also when the time comes. Who knows, maybe hydrogen-fueled or hydrogen hybrids will be available then
Old 05-17-10, 09:31 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
Yes, others have complained on here, and including the body shop that handles the problems of my local dealership.
I like my two Lexus vehicles but the finish is the softest I have ever encountered.
I would accept some orange peel in exchange for a harder finish.
Again, best paint in the industry according to??
You're complaint in your post made it seem like you were talking about the actualy paint job, not how hard or soft of the finish is. the point is that lexus paint is without a lot of imperfections you would see in other makes, soft or not.

Instead, there’s the standard glassy-smooth LS paint finish that is quite possibly the best in the world (Lexus’ painters undergo mandatory finger training in order to recognize the feel of blemishes), the standard upright, elegant greenhouse, and the same stately countenance as one would expect to find upon nearly any other modern LS-series sedan.
http://www.carguideweb.com/articles/7418/

just one of the many articles that praise lexus paint.
Old 05-17-10, 09:59 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggy1
I'm a RXh repeat buyer and would likely do it again, but would evaluate other brands also when the time comes. Who knows, maybe hydrogen-fueled or hydrogen hybrids will be available then
Ditto on repeat. The 'Brand' and model seem to fit me. Maybe Gen IV will have new and more powerful batteries and electric motors that can plug in overnight for short commutes and accept charges from a four cyl for trips or longer commutes . Much as in the concept for the Government Motors 'Volt' only built by Lexus.
Old 05-17-10, 02:46 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
You're complaint in your post made it seem like you were talking about the actualy paint job, not how hard or soft of the finish is. the point is that lexus paint is without a lot of imperfections you would see in other makes, soft or not.
Yes, I am complaining about the paint job. I am unable to wash the paint without touching the finish. They are one in the same for me.
When I bought my 06 LS Ultra, which is black, the paint looked great until night came and lights hit it. The dealership worked on it and made it worse. They finally asked if I minded finding someone to fix it as they simple could not. The fellow at the body shop who handled their paint issues said it was the most difficult finish he had ever worked with and one of the thinnest.
I finally found a guy who kept the car for a month taking one panel at a time and wet sanding it until it was perfect. The dealership paid him and I was happy.
This is not a new issue. This complaint surfaced the first year Lexus hit the market. I remember reading one article that started with complaints of paint chipping and bug stains that owners were finding impossible to remove, next came the scratches and swirl marks we have experienced.
I am very hopeful of the new paint introduction on next year's LS. If it proves to be a fix, once the model reaches two years old I will replace my current LS.
Please don't be a cheerleader and get so upset when we talk about our cars here. This thread was asking us about our experience with our cars and if we would be repeat customers. We are all simply stating how we feel about our experience.
Old 05-17-10, 02:54 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by ziggy1
From what I read it really seems hydrogen vehicles will be the answer. Our battery technology just isn't there yet for hybrids, and I'm not sure it ever will be as by then the hydrogen fuel cell technology should be perfected.
As much as I love the internal combustion engine it's well over one hundred years old now. Time to move forward.
Old 05-17-10, 03:39 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by DNC
Please don't be a cheerleader and get so upset when we talk about our cars here. This thread was asking us about our experience with our cars and if we would be repeat customers. We are all simply stating how we feel about our experience.
dude, im not cheerleading here. Im just pointing out what I think is just plain nit picking versus the real issues here.

My original statement was "thats weird, Lexus paint is one of the best in the industry" wasnt derogatory in anyway. I didnt say you were lying, I just said that it was "weird." I dont know why you are being so defensive

In all fairness, the issues here really arent big enough to warrant such a drastic conclusion of the car being their last lexus. The huge storage console, the lack of backlit homelink buttons...I mean really, does that stop your enjoyment of the car? If there was a huge transmission issue or even the bumper popping out in the early build RXs, then that is worth something to complain about.

Last edited by RXSF; 05-17-10 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-17-10, 07:31 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me, I am far from nit picking on most issues. The amount of chips on the hood, scratches on both side panels going from the front through the back (going through hand washes), and swirl marks after 1 year just leaves me completely cold to owning another Lexus. In over 15 years, I owned dark-colored cars, and none had the same amount of paint damage all over.

And yes, other stuff can be easily overloked, but every time I look at the side in broad day light, makes me not want to drive the car. What can I say. I got issues.
Maybe living in a sunny California would change that, but here, in North East, where 4 seasons are pretty apparent, Lexus paint sucks.

Last edited by data2009; 05-17-10 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-17-10, 08:29 PM
DNC
Advanced

dude, im not cheerleading here. Im just pointing out what I think is just plain nit picking versus the real issues here.

My original statement was "thats weird, Lexus paint is one of the best in the industry" wasnt derogatory in anyway. I didnt say you were lying, I just said that it was "weird." I dont know why you are being so defensive

In all fairness, the issues here really arent big enough to warrant such a drastic conclusion of the car being their last lexus. The huge storage console, the lack of backlit homelink buttons...I mean really, does that stop your enjoyment of the car? If there was a huge transmission issue or even the bumper popping out in the early build RXs, then that is worth something to complain about.
"Dude", That is only your opinion, and you have a right to your opinion just as I do. Your argument isn't with me of how great you think the paint job is, it's with my dealerships body shop and all the other owners that have complained just as I have and yes, others on here. If you cannot stand to hear anyting negative about your car go read a sales brochure.
Honestly, the more I read your post I really don't understand what it is you are saying,,,"finish", not paint, others have not complained??
We are just car people who see where Lexus could meet our needs better.
Old 05-17-10, 09:51 PM
RXSF

paint chips and swirls happen to everyone. It should not reflect your idea of Lexus quality because technically, it isnt a quality issue. Soft paint is the result of using environmentally friendly ways to make the paint; it will be mandatory for all manufacturers soon enough (if not already). All cars will have chips and swirls no matter how careful you are with them. If you are that worried, then get a clear bra like myself.

its not fair (to lexus) to hear just one side of the story. I just feel the need to back them up by responding to your so called "problems". Im going to stop defending myself now and leave it at that.
Old 05-17-10, 10:22 PM
DNC
Advanced

paint chips and swirls happen to everyone. It should not reflect your idea of Lexus quality because technically, it isnt a quality issue. Soft paint is the result of using environmentally friendly ways to make the paint; it will be mandatory for all manufacturers soon enough (if not already). All cars will have chips and swirls no matter how careful you are with them. If you are that worried, then get a clear bra like myself.

its not fair (to lexus) to hear just one side of the story. I just feel the need to back them up by responding to your so called "problems". Im going to stop defending myself now and leave it at that.
I didn't realize there was any need to defend either point of view. I took it we were asked to respond with our own experience/opinion as to if we would be a repeat customer. I reported my experience with our 2004, 2007, and 2010 RX, add to that my 2006 LS. Lexus has acknowledged the problem before and fixed (free to us) the paint chips in the 2004 and 2007 RX.
I have a 23 year old black S-Class that I purchased when it was 3 years old. There has only been one chip in the paint since I purchased it which was quickly fix.
It is annoying of each time such a topic is posted asking for our opinions the cheerleaders come out as if we are cursing god if we mention a negative experience or see room for improvement. I don't know why this kind of reaction seems to only happen in the entry level model forums,especially the RX forum. I'm glad it doesn't happen in the LS forum as there are complicated features, like the suspension system, that shared information is needed which often includes negative commits regarding Lexus.
Again, as long as the dependability holds up and we receive the outstanding customer service I will remain a Lexus owner. Don't attack what we post as untrue, see it as what it is, just our experience.
Old 05-17-10, 11:04 PM
RXSF

ill just leave you with one final comment. Your 26 year old S class was made during a time when the environment wasnt a big deal, so you cannot compare the old process of car paint to modern paint. Paint now is just softer.

My originaly comment about paint was not in reference to the softness of the paint but rather the finish of Lexus paint. I choose to believe that when it comes out of the factory Lexus paint is one of the best. There is barely any orange peel and they usually have a mirror finish. You can choose to believe otherwise.

and I cant imagine anyone "cheerleading" to defend a broken suspension part, as I am not "cheerleading" to defend the bumper popping out, nor the rattling as those are problems that should be, and are being, addressed. I am defending an area of the car that comes out of the factory next to perfect until the consumer touches it. that is the difference. and I have never heard of anyone fixing rock chips as if it was Lexus' fault. If that was the case, then congrats to you. Im sure it was done on good will and probably is part of Lexus' idea of customer satisfaction.

I suppose people should be complaining to their dealer are cracked windshields too, for making too "soft" and weak glass

Last edited by RXSF; 05-17-10 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-17-10, 11:33 PM
DNC
Advanced

I suppose people should be complaining to their dealer are cracked windshields too, for making too "soft" and weak glass
Our 07 RX did come with a large flaw in the windshield at the driver's eye level. I will not dare get you going with that story.
Old 05-17-10, 11:47 PM
RXSF

LOL I think I remember that post. Was it like a convexity problem?
Old 05-20-10, 06:09 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Replaced my 99 RX with a 10 RX-350 without much shopping around....because of how terrific the 99 RX was. The 10 RX-350 has a number of great features, but where Lexus misses the boat on the RX.350...it is always a HUGE miss, not just a small annoyance.

Next car an RX?....I would want something else, but currently have no candidates.

Quick Reply: Informal poll - Repeaters vs Non Repeatears