RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Informal poll - Repeaters vs Non Repeatears

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 12:36 AM
lalin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Informal poll - Repeaters vs Non Repeatears

About 4 months ago I got my 2010 RX AWD and joined this forum.
It catches my attention the amount of complains that I see. Some of them details (many non illuminated buttons/ridiculous storage console/terrible iPod interface/single exhaust/no individual tire pressure monitoring), while others are on the important side of things (noisier engine/bumpier ride/fuel consumption/loose components).
Based on your expectations, would you consider yourself a repeat RX350 buyer?
Old 05-14-10, 12:58 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sure I would consider an RX again, but it will always depend on what features are a available on similar cars at the time when I'm looking. I like (well really like) the car, but have high expectations related to the Brand. Some of the things you list are shortfalls, apparently acceptable shortfalls or I would have another car. I will always complain about something, but I will equally express my appreciation of others. Each purchase I make I would like some sort of improvement in my driving experience over the last purchase. If Lexus doesn't stay ahead of the pack, I'll move on to some thing else.
Old 05-14-10, 04:05 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a repeat RX buyer.
The "many non illuminated buttons/ridiculous storage console/terrible iPod interface/single exhaust/no individual tire pressure monitoring" among other things that should be on this just under $50K RX but I still like the vehicle.
Old 05-14-10, 07:30 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I come from the LS side of Lexus, having owned both the 460 and the 600 hybrid. These cars were equipped with a shopping list of wants I read here. Automated parking, every possible illuminated button one can imagine, dual exhaust, fully automated memory seats comprising of headrest, belt, cooling, etc..., heated steering wheel, radar anti-collision driver monitoring system, 19-speaker 600 watt ML audio/DVD video, HDD system that rivals concert hall performance, power shades plus all the power and pampering you could wish for and a tomb-quiet environment. The only thing missing that is available in other markets but is slowly making its way here is Lane Keep Assist. Do I miss any of these niceties? Not one bit.

I have found that Lexus owners of every stripe are a capricious lot at times, and are constantly at the wishing well which causes Lexus to find ways and means of trickling many of the innovations found on their higher end cars to the masses. Let's face it, many of us will never be satisfied and so car makers continue to look for ways to satisfy our wants and needs. So the only left to say is, patience they're working on it.

Would I repeat? Yes, in a heartbeat...
Old 05-14-10, 08:41 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

This is a good question. I have owned both previous generations of the RX and I plan to move into the new one by the end of this year (even after hearing about these problems)

Each generation has had its little quibbles. For instance, my current RX has transmission issues, lacks a bluetooth connection that added a year later after my 04, I cant use CD 6 for fear it will get stuck again, the key sometimes doesnt turn in the ignition, etc.

The thing about the RX is that it starts at a relatively cheap price for its size and name brand. 38K for such a large vehicle? My C350 started at 39K and thats an entry level sedan! So in essence, if there is a lack of illuminated homelink buttons, or no direct tire readouts, then it is because of simple cost cutting. Obviously, they cant add "illuminated buttons" to the options list

So, while I hope that these issues will be addressed in the new model year, I dont have a huge problem with it
Old 05-14-10, 09:24 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am new to the Lexus line as this is my first. Would I do it again? Well, I am. There have been a few problems with the RX but nothing to get bent out of shape over. I have enjoyed the car immensely.

I would say the rattles bothered me the most since you do come to expect more from Lexus. Thanks to this forum I have been able to solve them. I am very curious if the new one I'm getting will have the same rattles or has Lexus addressed them by now.
Old 05-14-10, 10:58 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

We ordered our First RX in October of 2004 got the car in March 2005. Will we order another RX? As soon as they put Heads-up Display and Luxury Package, into the FWD RX450 yes? We will order the car that day. The only problem from our first RX has been the paint, which sucks big time. Every time Lexus put a new RX into the market place there is this big I DON"T KNOWN from the Dealers and from Lexus as to what you can and cannot order for your car. We wanted to put a RSES in our 05. Two Dealers said that you could not play your ML sound system with the DVD system. Boy was I **** off when I got my book and saw that you could do it.
All of the other thing you see are owns trying to get Lexus to pick up the ball and run with it to make the RX better than it is today
Old 05-14-10, 12:30 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I like my 450h but it is way too early to say if I would purchase another. All of the little things that I do not care for will certainly be on my list of things to look for in my next vehicle. Had I looked at this vehicle closer and taken notice to the quirky little things, I probably would have still made the purchase.

Having said all of that, I am not married to a brand and will consider any vehicle along with the expected dealer experience for my next purchase. There are several US manufacture vehicles that I will look at also.

I doubt that any manufacture will ever be able to fully satisfy me. That is just my nature!
Old 05-14-10, 02:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 169 Likes on 143 Posts

Been in the RX since 1998 - 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen - 'nuff said
Old 05-14-10, 03:30 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of luxury for the money but the quality seems to be “ok” comparing to 05RX it replaced and other Lexus vehicles we had before in forms of LS and SC. I try to avoid the first year model but it was timing and temptation of “new” that we bought early built 10RX. Novelty of remote control and new design worn off in few months. Especially when there are at least a dozen of 10RX inside our neighborhood alone, it was no longer “unique”. Sometimes in the morning and evening, it looks like Lexus dealer in my neighborhood. In DC area there are so many RXs I see one every few minutes and many of those are 10RXs. Cargo area noise is one thing but now I have rattling noise from one of the door and body flexing noise is more profound than it was new. All electronics still works and never had problems so that is a huge plus owning a Lexus. With so many luxury competitions, I will always consider other brands when purchasing a vehicle. My response is Yes/No/Maybe. Heck, I even went out purchased a 2010 Kia Soul for some entertainment and it sure is fun as driving a Miata.
Old 05-14-10, 05:03 PM
oscqc
Rookie

My 450h is my first and likely last Lexus. I don't know which I dislike more - the vehicle or the semi-honest Lexus dealer. The next nearest dealer is 125 miles away and I intend to try him.
Old 05-14-10, 11:03 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a repeat 'h' buyer. The only complain is the remote start. All the little things I can live with or work around them.
Ipod-work around, uses USB or Blackberry.
Non illuminated buttons-set all buttons for opener.
Storage console-don't care.
Single exhaust-don't care.
No individual tire pressure monitoring-has it on the 'h'.
Noisier engine-again 'h'.
Bumpier ride-tire problem, need softer ones.
Fuel consumption-'h'.
Loose components-fixed.
Old 05-15-10, 12:55 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, I'd say many of ppl come to the forums to look for the solutions. You definitely will see more complaints and issues than compliments and praises.

This has been my 3rd Lexus. My family has been with Lexus for 2 decade since Lexus' debut. After recent "slump", I believe Toyota will make Lexus better and better in the next few years. IMHO, I'll still buy Lexus, but may not consdier to buy RX again if Lexus doesn't provide it with the permenant AWD.
Old 05-16-10, 12:30 AM
garfull
Rookie

Cash 4 clunkers and a company discount got me into my rx. But with the laundry list of issues I'm having I don't think I will buy another one. Lexus has set the bar very high and I feel they fell quite short of it with this generations rx, well mines at least. I'm far from satisfied with the rx, the issues I'm having some minor and some major should not even be present.
Old 05-16-10, 02:13 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my 4th Lexus in 11 years and 3rd RX overall. The list of complaints I find on this Forum truly astonishes me:

Ipod - get a VML
Non illuminated buttons - all buttons illuminated on mine
Storage console - nothing wrong with it.
Single exhaust - don't care.
Noisier engine - not that I've noticed
Bumpier ride - trade off for better handling - you Yanks are too soft!
Build quality - outstanding
Service by Lexus - outstanding

If you think these are major issues, then please sell your RX and purchase a BMW X5. You will spend more time having it fixed than driving it!

Given that we pay a lot more than you Yanks do (try US$90K for my 2010 RX), I have zero complaints.

Quick Reply: Informal poll - Repeaters vs Non Repeatears