RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

19 inch - tire mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 03:30 PM
rick9194
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19 inch - tire mileage

How many miles can you expect to get out of the tires that come with 19 inch wheels?

I thought I read somewhere 15k??

I love the way they look, but I drive a lot ... I couldn't afford new tires every 15,000 mile.

is the ride a lot different with the 19s?

Thanks
Old 05-17-10, 04:28 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a 450h with 19 inch Dunlops. I have put on just under 7000 miles in 7 months of ownership. I can not see any noticeable wear at this point. I am happy with the Dunlops and will keep an open mind as to brand when it comes time to replace the tires, but if I only get 15,000 miles as some have said, I will certainly be looking for another brand.
Old 05-17-10, 06:48 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I have a 450h with 19 inch Dunlops. I have put on just under 7000 miles in 7 months of ownership. I can not see any noticeable wear at this point. I am happy with the Dunlops and will keep an open mind as to brand when it comes time to replace the tires, but if I only get 15,000 miles as some have said, I will certainly be looking for another brand.
I have nearly 12,000 now on my Michelin's. They are wearing evenly and maybe down about 1/3. It's hard to tell really. They still ride and grip great. No issues.
Old 05-18-10, 01:47 AM
maakaveli
Driver School Candidate

I drive in Alberta which has pretty bad winters at times, and I normally can run one set for 3-3 1/2 seasons (summer-winter-summer basically) if I don't put winters on.
I always lease 3 years and by the end the tires are almost done but not completely, <10% left
Old 05-18-10, 08:56 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by rick9194
How many miles can you expect to get out of the tires that come with 19 inch wheels? I thought I read somewhere 15k?? I love the way they look, but I drive a lot ... I couldn't afford new tires every 15,000 mile. is the ride a lot different with the 19s? Thanks
I've been told by a Lexus rep as well as the dealer one can expect about 19k miles under normal driving with frequent tire rotation and maybe 15k to 16k with agressive driving on the Bridgestone 19-inch. The fact that the new RX AWD now runs primarily on front wheel drive mode most of the time means also more wear on the front tires than the old RX with fulltime AWD according to them. As a general rule the larger the diameter tire, the faster the wear and the firmer the ride. The Lexus rep said the only reason why Lexus went to the optional 19s is to improve the look and not to mention other manufacturers are doing that too. He said most dealers are ordering the 19 inch tires for the RX instead of the standard 18s. The fact that Lexus has eliminated the full size spare on the new RX means you have no choice but to buy 4 new tires instead of say just 3.
Old 05-18-10, 09:45 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

When we are talking about diameters, it's important to distinguish that the 18s vs 19s represents the rim size, not the tire size. The overall diameter of the tire is "virtually identical" due to a difference in profile, in other words 60 vs 55 respectively. Those numbers are in fact an approximate ratio or percentage of the width : height of the tire carcass.
Old 05-18-10, 11:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Ah, tires. Probably my biggest (and only) gripe about the RX. I was not able to go beyond 16K on the OEM tires I had on my previous RXs. Now I didn't wait until they were really worn so maybe I could have gotten 18K. Both Goodyear. So glad Lexus finally ditched them The OEM Michelins are the best. You'll probably get the most tire life out of them.

About the ride, I went from 18" to 19". The ride is nice and solid, I'd even say better than before. The only thing I noticed is the steering wheel takes a little more effort to turn. But I've gotten used to it. And yes they look good
Old 05-19-10, 11:37 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Ah, tires. Probably my biggest (and only) gripe about the RX. I was not able to go beyond 16K on the OEM tires I had on my previous RXs. Now I didn't wait until they were really worn so maybe I could have gotten 18K. Both Goodyear. So glad Lexus finally ditched them The OEM Michelins are the best. You'll probably get the most tire life out of them.

About the ride, I went from 18" to 19". The ride is nice and solid, I'd even say better than before. The only thing I noticed is the steering wheel takes a little more effort to turn. But I've gotten used to it. And yes they look good
The steering "effort" is actually a good thing. RXs (and lexus in general) have been criticized for their lack of steering "feel" and I've read positive comments from the motor press that the 450h's have a better steering feedback to the driver. I like it. It's a long way from a sports car feel, but helps. Don't know if it has anything to do with the 19" wheels.
Old 05-19-10, 02:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

ziggy1, when I first started driving the 450h, I felt the difference immediately, especially in the ride and turns. Now I have the sport package because I prefer more feel of the road and less play with the steering wheel. And the suspension is different. Last non-sport RX I drove was a year ago so I can't tell you all the differences. But I agree, it's definitely an improvement over RXs past.

Regarding the tires, I think they do make a little difference. Sandi K has the 350 with the sport package and changed hers to 18" for a softer ride. I know it's not for everyone but I like it. What a big change from my '99 with now puny 16" tires!
Old 05-20-10, 06:37 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Sandi K has the 350 with the sport package and changed hers to 18" for a softer ride. I know it's not for everyone but I like it. What a big change from my '99 with now puny 16" tires!
Nope, I still have the 19's on mine. Dunlops, with the Sport Package. I like it - as Anita says, more road feel, and no noticeable body roll in cornering.

My husband was concerned that the ride wasn't as squishy as the non-sport suspension (I had to special order mine, without actually test driving it!), and we explored what it would take to soften it up.

The answer was shocks, springs, and tires. And about $3K.

So we left it "as is," and we've accommodated. So far, no big back conniptions or troubles on our 6 hour drives to see family.

Sandi
Old 06-05-10, 11:54 AM
rick9194
Driver School Candidate

Question

Bump

Any more comments on mileage on 19inch wheel option.

I'm getting ready to buy and can't decide which to get. The 19s look so much better but I don't want to replace tires every 15k. When you replace your tires the first time can you switch to a tire thats not so soft?

Guess I'm spoiled ... I just got 95,000 out of the michlens (spelling?) on my Honda Ridgeline.

Any input would be appreciated
Old 06-05-10, 12:01 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

I'm at 15K and the tires look fine. Lots of tread left. Sadly, the Goodyear triple tread doesn't come in a 19" as far as I can see. Really love those tires.

And the 19s look a bunch better.
Old 06-06-10, 06:12 AM
rick9194
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
I'm at 15K and the tires look fine. Lots of tread left. Sadly, the Goodyear triple tread doesn't come in a 19" as far as I can see. Really love those tires.

And the 19s look a bunch better.
They do look much better. What brand tire do you have?
Old 06-06-10, 07:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

rick9194, the '10 has been out a year now so we won't really know mileage/wear for a while on the OEM tires. I say 19" is the way to go, but do you want to quibble over the cost of tires as long as they perform well? 95k is way too long in my book to have tires on a vehicle. Yes, Michelins are good but that's pushing it.

IMO safety and performance is key, hence why I have put up with less than stellar tire wear.
Old 06-06-10, 07:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I usuaaly buy new tires at around 20K-25K miles.
When tires reaches it's halfway or so wear point,traction and handling drops.
I also go with the door pressure reading for a better ride.

Quick Reply: 19 inch - tire mileage