RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Vizualogic DVD Headrest Installation - Full Writeup

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 02:25 PM
k9shelly1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, just used your awesome post to install my DVD headrests. Thanks to you I had the confidence to install these myself. It took me a whopping 45 minutes. Thats right, 45 minutes. Dealer wanted $2,200 to install theirs and the electronic shop was charging me $999 for these exact headrests. I found them online for $320 with free shipping.

I installed the "Chameleon" 7 inch screen headrests. I have black interior and it mathced perfectly. It also comes with tan and greay overlays in case you have a different color interior.

I will post pics as soon as I can. Again thanks for your post.
Old 05-23-11, 10:35 AM
Tomcho
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to bump an old thread, just seeing if anyone can provide a performance update now that they have been installed for a while. Researching the benefits if any of the Vizualogic universal set at $700 or even jumping to their touch screens at $1100.
Old 05-23-11, 02:32 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW, Will try this one sometimes later. Summer project. Nice wroteup/discovered. Thanks
Old 05-23-11, 04:22 PM
MC5Wes

Default Rear Seat Entertainment

If you have kids in the back. You cant go wrong with the Sirius Back Seat TV system. Instead of running a DVD player.

I installed a complete system in my daughters Toyota. The best money ever spent.

www.siriusxm.com/backseattv
Old 05-23-11, 05:51 PM
timlrx11
Driver

Tough choice. DVD or Back Seat TV... DVD or Back Seat TV...

Congrats to those who have the talent to install the systems youselves. I am not really sure if I even attempt doing this project myself. It seems like a big task.
Old 05-24-11, 05:19 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by timlor
Tough choice. DVD or Back Seat TV... DVD or Back Seat TV...

Congrats to those who have the talent to install the systems youselves. I am not really sure if I even attempt doing this project myself. It seems like a big task.
My choice. DVD, DVD and DVD . I hate the monthly fee even though it's just $8/month. Have a tons of monthly fee bills already and hate to have another one
Old 05-25-11, 01:37 AM
MMS4MSU
Driver

Great DIY Tut!
The headrests are Power Acoustik not Vizualogic; two different companies. I installed the same headrests in our 08 Highlander, 05 ES330, and 06 RX400H. I put one in about two years ago and thought "Great, I need to put these in all of our vehicles". They are all having issues now and I am looking for a replacement company for the headrest.
Old 05-25-11, 09:03 AM
Tomcho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MMS4MSU
Great DIY Tut!
The headrests are Power Acoustik not Vizualogic; two different companies. I installed the same headrests in our 08 Highlander, 05 ES330, and 06 RX400H. I put one in about two years ago and thought "Great, I need to put these in all of our vehicles". They are all having issues now and I am looking for a replacement company for the headrest.
You installed the Power Acoustik units and are having issues? That was the reason for my post. It seems like Vizualogic is the standard here and their universal units are only a few hundred more.
Old 05-25-11, 12:25 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

any of you all think the "OEM" DVD screens for the RX will fit the GS? Seems like they have the same seats, or very similar.

Old 05-26-11, 12:35 AM
GavinTyler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
My choice. DVD, DVD and DVD . I hate the monthly fee even though it's just $8/month. Have a tons of monthly fee bills already and hate to have another one
That's $8 in addition to a current Sirius Satellite Radio subscription. I don't think I'm up for that.
Old 05-26-11, 04:12 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GavinTyler
That's $8 in addition to a current Sirius Satellite Radio subscription. I don't think I'm up for that.
Always listen to the chosen music from the Iphone/cd or news. I didn't even sign up with the XM radio service. I'm so cheap. hhaha
Old 05-27-11, 03:48 AM
MMS4MSU
Driver

Originally Posted by Tomcho
You installed the Power Acoustik units and are having issues? That was the reason for my post. It seems like Vizualogic is the standard here and their universal units are only a few hundred more.
One set, the driver side does not display video anymore. Second set, passenger side the head phone jack is out and video out breaks up for video game system (plays on one but both can kids can view). Battery life on wireless head phones is not good so it is easier for wired listening. I think I will make one "good set" and start over in one vehicle with a new company.
Old 05-30-11, 06:07 PM
GregDallas
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bump an old thread, just seeing if anyone can provide a performance update now that they have been installed for a while. Researching the benefits if any of the Vizualogic universal set at $700 or even jumping to their touch screens at $1100.
I've had them installed for a just about year now. They still work great, although the earpiece of one set of headphones broke recently (the swivel part). That's primarily due to being in the hands of my 3 year old though, so it might not be a fair criticism.

In my case they don't get a ton of use, but they have been used many times over the year and are still holding up just fine.
Old 05-30-11, 06:11 PM
GregDallas
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct. I don't know where I got it in my head that I was using Vizualogic... probably from all the searching I did at the time.

The actual product I bought from Amazon is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001588JHM

Thanks for the correction
Old 05-31-11, 10:02 PM
Tomcho
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies, at $550 I'm going to give them a try. That is half the price of the Vizualogic 9" screens. We just got our 09 RX350 last Friday and love it so far.

Quick Reply: Vizualogic DVD Headrest Installation - Full Writeup