RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

iPod USB input for 2010+ models

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 12:51 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't forget about us with older gen as really love the ideas of video in motion.
Old 05-21-10, 02:41 PM
lexiton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by antonio98
Thanks for the response.

Will we be able to view the video inputs on the rear entertainment screens as well as the front NAV screen?
Will this work with nav only and not the dvd upgrade?

I have nav only and like the iphone support. Does it plug into the same USB port in the cubby hole or do I have to rewire it somehow?
Old 05-21-10, 03:30 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by BHart882
Vaistech,

The number one feature on my wish list is quick scrolling; that is, fast scrolling through albums, artists, songs without stopping one screen at a time--or even better an iPhone-like option to click directly on the first letter of the album, artist, or song.

I have thousands of songs from hundreds of artists on my iPod, and even with the disabled automatic selection feature provided by your product, it still would be a chore to select a song from an artist whose name begins with an "M", for example (since you must start from A or Z every time you search for songs). If I could just hold down the up/down button, and scroll quickly through all the artists, without stopping, so that I could reach an artist within 5 seconds, I would buy your product without hesitation.

Oh yeah, one more item on my wish list. If the Lexus is playing a certain song, and I select the Menu option, it would be great if the search screen started from that same song, instead of starting from the very first album/artist/song by alphabetical order. For instance, sometimes I might be listening to a song by Journey, when I decide I want to listen to another song by Journey from another album. Under the current setup, my search has to restart from the letter A and I have scroll down to J again. I could of course set up a playlist for specifically Journey songs. But it's impossible to set up playlists for the limitless combination of possibilities that would satisfy my whims at some particular moment.

Thanks for listening.
We are always listening, BHart882! This is our next step. Not sure how soon we can get something like this out on the market, but there is definitely a need for it. Browsing is the key to a good interface, so we will be working on the interface which will allow you to scroll through a list just like iPod Touch or iPhone does. And you will be able to search your library by entering a letter.
Old 05-21-10, 03:34 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Thanks for the response.

Will we be able to view the video inputs on the rear entertainment screens as well as the front NAV screen?
We will offer one RCA output, so you will be able to connect the same device to an aftermarket rear entertainment system, and play the same thing on front and rear screens. Not sure if 2010 factory rear entertainment system will take an RCA in, we will confirm that later.
Old 05-21-10, 03:37 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by lexiton
Will this work with nav only and not the dvd upgrade?

I have nav only and like the iphone support. Does it plug into the same USB port in the cubby hole or do I have to rewire it somehow?
VML will install instead of the factory USB and you would rewire the USB cable to any convenient location in the car for either iPod or iPhone connection. And it is compatible with all 2010+ Lexus models.
Old 05-22-10, 01:20 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VaisTech
VML will install instead of the factory USB and you would rewire the USB cable to any convenient location in the car for either iPod or iPhone connection. And it is compatible with all 2010+ Lexus models.
Additionally, the VML works great with Prestigious Society Nav Override! It removes the restriction and allows you to scroll while in motion.
Old 05-22-10, 06:34 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
Just curious if this is also compatible with the 2010 RX models without the NAV option?
Yes it is!
Finally had a chance to try a USB Flash Drive on my Non-NAV RX 450h. It does play, and I can skip ahead (or back) to the next Folder or Track via the steering wheel (or audio) buttons, but the (monochrome) display only lists "Folder" and "File" (track) numbers, rather than the Artist and/or Song (see photo).

Would your VML product actually display the Artist and Track information on the Non-NAV Mono display?
Attached Thumbnails iPod USB input for 2010+ models-usbview-small-.jpg  
Old 05-24-10, 03:10 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Finally had a chance to try a USB Flash Drive on my Non-NAV RX 450h. It does play, and I can skip ahead (or back) to the next Folder or Track via the steering wheel (or audio) buttons, but the (monochrome) display only lists "Folder" and "File" (track) numbers, rather than the Artist and/or Song (see photo).

Would your VML product actually display the Artist and Track information on the Non-NAV Mono display?
VML is compatible with 2010 RX without nav and it will show text on your display. You will be able to display folder and file information when using the flash drive with it. And it will show you text info when iPod/iPhone is connected.
Old 05-25-10, 06:18 AM
Sugar3d
Driver School Candidate

VML is compatible with 2010 RX without nav and it will show text on your display. You will be able to display folder and file information when using the flash drive with it. And it will show you text info when iPod/iPhone is connected.
Will the text info for the ipod/iphone be the song and artiest?
Old 05-26-10, 12:28 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by Sugar3d
Will the text info for the ipod/iphone be the song and artiest?
Yes it will!
Old 05-28-10, 10:45 AM
fastedit
Driver School Candidate

Vaistech, Some installation questions:

How difficult is it to install the VML in a 2010 RX 350, is it a novice DIY job? If not how do I find a list of installers in Northern NJ.

Do you use the existing USB jack that's inside the console?

Can I still use a flash drive with the VML or is only the iPod supported?

Can I play AAC files( without DRM)?

Any idea when scrolling by first letter for song or album will be available? With 7K plus songs and hundreds of albums on my iPod its tough to scroll even without the annoying Lexus first play feature.

Thanks.
Old 05-29-10, 08:14 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doh! Just realized my display will cycle through all the artist/album tags with each press of the "TEXT" button of my Non-NAV audio unit. Not the same as seeing an entire directory listing on the NAV screen, but good enough!

I'd be surprised if the VML product offers anything different, but if so, I would certainly like to see some pics or video specific to the Non-NAV 350/450h.
Attached Thumbnails iPod USB input for 2010+ models-usb1-small-.jpg   iPod USB input for 2010+ models-usb2-small-.jpg  
Old 06-01-10, 10:50 AM
mogy2010Rx
Driver School Candidate

SL2Vi isn't compatible with 2010 models. But we are working on the new unit will provide two Audio/Video inputs into 2010+ models. It is expected to be released in September this year. Expected price ~$500 and it will work while the car is in motion.
How about iPod video?

Is the SL2Vi compatible for 2010 yet? If not, when do you expect to have this?
Ouch, $500.00, hopefully you guys can get it down a bit lower than that. I was also thinking of buying the unit from Prestigious Society for the override for the nav and phone, a cost of about $350.00. Now I guess I will have to choose. Too bad all of those features couldnt be in one neat package!
Just an observation: So many problems could have been avoided for all of us (Lexus owners) if Lexus would stop trying to be our "Big Bother". But on the other hand, I guess its good for these companies, like PS and VAIS, that have figured a way around all the constraints.

Also, not sure what SL2Vi stands for but maybe incorporating the iPod car Video integration on Nav screen function into the MultiMediaLinQ product may make more sense to the public. (i.e. multimedia= audio and video)? When I was looking for this type of functionality that is where I went first, then after finding the application chart, I discovered I would want the other product.

(i don't think I did the quotes just right, but I think everyone gets where I was going with putting both here to be read)

Last edited by mogy2010Rx; 06-01-10 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-02-10, 03:21 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by fastedit
Vaistech, Some installation questions:

How difficult is it to install the VML in a 2010 RX 350, is it a novice DIY job? If not how do I find a list of installers in Northern NJ.

Do you use the existing USB jack that's inside the console?

Can I still use a flash drive with the VML or is only the iPod supported?

Can I play AAC files( without DRM)?

Any idea when scrolling by first letter for song or album will be available? With 7K plus songs and hundreds of albums on my iPod its tough to scroll even without the annoying Lexus first play feature.

Thanks.
Hi,

1. We have posted two links to the video, one of them shows how to install VML in the RX.

2. VML has its own USB extension cable which is used all connections.

3. VML does support flash drive as well as all iPod/iPhone models.

4. AAC file format is supported if you have them on the iPod. If you have flash drive or HDD, then you can only have MP3, WAV or FLAC.

New integration unit, which will support browsing by letter and many other features is in the works. We don't have an ETA yet, hopefully by the beginning of next year.