RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What would you do? (New Car dented before taking delivery)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 09:38 AM
beatniq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do? (New Car dented before taking delivery)

Greeting,

So I was suppose to take delivery of my new RX on Friday. The car was being shipped from out of state. I have already signed the initial paper work with a down-payment. The dealer called me up on Friday afternoon and lets me know that I cannot pick up the car until Monday due to minor problem. There was a dent on the right side door. I requested a picture of the dent, but received nothing. I feel like I am no longer purchasing a brand new car being that there is a dent that already needs to be fixed.

What you you do in this situation? Would you ask for a discount or wait for another car?

Thanks for your opinion in advance.

~Beatniq
Old 05-24-10, 10:15 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As tough and frustrating as it may be, wait for another car. You are paying for a brand new vehicle in perfect condition, and that's what you should get. There is always the possibility that something may show up after you take delivery, but if you take this car, you are already starting behind the eight ball. When I was looking for my 2008 hybrid, which were in short supply at the time, I saw two at a dealership in PA and when I asked about them, I was told they were not for sale because they came in damaged. This is as it should be despite the fact that I had to go back and examine the cars closely to find what was wrong with them. Hopefully, if yours was not a special order, it won't take long to find another that meets your needs.
Old 05-24-10, 10:28 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

No way would I take that off the dealer's hands. If you decide to accept it anyway, you would be doing them a HUGE favor, so they in turn would have to do you a HUGE favor, like a major discount or what have you...
Old 05-24-10, 11:06 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't take it, you will be sorry. Mine was backed into after 3 months, I had it fixed and I am getting a new one this week. If they have to do any re-painting it won't be the same. Paper work or not you don't have to accept it. I agree a huge discount would be nice. The dealer told me that my car would be worth $5-6K less with damage history. Diminished Value, as the insurance people refer to it.

Good Luck, let us know what happens.
Old 05-24-10, 12:06 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

If it is just a simple dent, then they have dent repair services that can pop it out without any evidence that I was ever there. And there will be no record of the repair on carfax.
Old 05-24-10, 12:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Don't take delivery. Demand that you get another car.
Old 05-24-10, 01:07 PM
GregsLexus
Driver School Candidate

I would demand a $5000 reduction in the price of the vehicle and state that I would also need to see the repair before I would take delivery or else reorder a new car.
Old 05-24-10, 01:19 PM
beatniq
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for the great input. I just got some more details from the dealers. Seems like they had to sent it to the body shop to get repaired and won't be done for another couple of days. They still didn't give me any details of the dent. I am afraid that the work that needs to be done may show up on a Carfax.
Old 05-24-10, 01:42 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beatniq
Thank you very much for the great input. I just got some more details from the dealers. Seems like they had to sent it to the body shop to get repaired and won't be done for another couple of days. They still didn't give me any details of the dent. I am afraid that the work that needs to be done may show up on a Carfax.
if they had to send it to body-shop, its not a simple paint-less repair. don't take it. My RX had small body repaired and rear bumper replaced. No matter how much they tried to match the paint it is still visually different and it also has other problems which is almost fixed. it still makes me angry after four months after it was repaired.
Old 05-24-10, 01:44 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If the RX was dented by the dealer,there won't be any Carfax report.
I wouldn't take the RX,anyway.Especially if that damaged area had to be painted.
A couple of days sounds like paint work to me.
If not,the dent would be fixed immediately to get the RX delivered.
Dealers want vehicles delievered ASAP in case a buyer changes his/her mind.
Old 05-24-10, 01:46 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

id pay a visit to the body shop that the dealer sent your RX to. because you havent officially taken delivery of it yet, you're not liable for what work has been done to it. make sure to fully inspect the car as soon as its ready. if its not up to your liking (paint not matching, other dings or dents that show up, etc.) you can try asking for a different one. the discount is meaningless if you're not happy with the way the car looks. interesting situation, and i hope it gets resolved very soon. best of luck!
Old 05-24-10, 02:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Beatniq, tell the dealer no thanks and you want a new RX, not damaged goods. Sad fact is a vehicle can be damaged during transport and fixed without the buyer's knowledge. I know because I suspected this was the case with the Ford Explorer lemon I had. There is no dollar limit per the Federal Trade Commission. While I credit the dealer for letting you know about it, I'd feel uneasy about a 'minor problem' that takes a few days to fix. And they haven't given you a picture to let you judge for yourself.

Best of luck.
Old 05-24-10, 02:21 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The very fact that they chose not to disclose the damage to you other than it was damaged speaks volumes. Somewhere I remember reading that if a vehicle is damaged beyond a certain figure $??? they have to disclose it was damaged. They did disclose that.

I know you've made a decision to buy and you're ready and waiting does not fit into that equation, but 6 months down the road, you will probably be happy you waited.
Old 05-24-10, 02:26 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't walk...run away from that RX.
Old 05-24-10, 03:25 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The fundamental question you need to ask yourself is, "Did I pay for a new or damaged vehicle?".

Quick Reply: What would you do? (New Car dented before taking delivery)