RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rudeness Towards RX350 Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 01:26 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Johnny
Lex Lane? Sounds like the love child of Superman's arch-enemy and his ex-girlfriend...
Johnny, interesting observation! I plan to assume the lotus poisition to meditate on the ramifications and what it could mean to the trade-in value of my RX
Old 06-02-10, 02:05 PM
TL2008GX47
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As sad as it is to admit, yes, it's because of the car you're driving. This has happened to me multiple times. When I drove a Mercedes to an Infiniti and now to a Lexus. I have had people pass me, just to flip me the finger and I'm simply driving down the highway. Most recently, I have experienced people not merging into the left (passing) lane when I'm entering the Interstate and force me to slam on the brakes or drive on the shoulder. Of course, the left lane is clear. Of course, after I get behind them, there comes the finger again. Not surprising, almost every time this has happened, they are driving a beat up domestic vehicle. Sad.
Old 06-02-10, 02:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggy1
Re: the lexus lanes. Suspect the choice is at least part due due to aliteration. "Lexus lanes" flows off the tongue and sounds a lot better than "mercedes lanes", "cadillac lanes", "BMW lanes", etc. Nevertheless, I don't like it
I agree Lexus was probably picked for the way it sounds but luxury is more appropriate, at least with all the MBs, BMWs and Audis around me. Then again, IMO the line about what constitutes luxury is blurred nowadays.

In any case, I don't like Lexus lanes either because of what it insinuates.

Lex Lane? Sounds like the love child of Superman's arch-enemy and his ex-girlfriend...
Good one
Old 06-02-10, 03:01 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

If RX owners feel they're being treated bad, imagine what its like for a hummer driver
Old 06-02-10, 04:08 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You guys should move to Canada, where this kind of behaviour is almost unheard of. Sad, isn't it?
Old 06-02-10, 07:52 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

You guys should move to Canada, where this kind of behaviour is almost unheard of. Sad, isn't it?
Here in the US, I've only experienced this stuff in the city. Never had a problem in rural Texas.
Old 06-03-10, 03:08 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't notice any changes in other drivers behavior here in Houstion, Tx. I still see the same amount of rude drivers but not very many.
Old 06-03-10, 04:51 AM
euroja153
Driver

I have to second that. Ive had nothing but courtesy on the road, and I also tend to give out courtesy too. I think the Lexus portrays a nice person imagine compared to something like a Range Rover.
Old 06-03-10, 05:06 AM
dadude4
Driver School Candidate

I live in Miami.....you have no idea about rudeness.....but no matter what lexus I drive...it seems that I am invisible....they never see me....even when they hit me
. I must admit...it is kind of hard to miss the new rx450 with all the LED's...but they still never seem to see me....and they do wave with their fingers
Old 06-03-10, 05:28 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TL2008GX47
As sad as it is to admit, yes, it's because of the car you're driving. This has happened to me multiple times. When I drove a Mercedes to an Infiniti and now to a Lexus. I have had people pass me, just to flip me the finger and I'm simply driving down the highway. Most recently, I have experienced people not merging into the left (passing) lane when I'm entering the Interstate and force me to slam on the brakes or drive on the shoulder. Of course, the left lane is clear. Of course, after I get behind them, there comes the finger again. Not surprising, almost every time this has happened, they are driving a beat up domestic vehicle. Sad.
Just curious, do you have a personalized license plate referencing the wrong football/basketball/baseball/soccer team or wrong university?

Seems like a lot of flipping off.

Forgive me I phrased that incorrectly, not wrong...perhaps unappreciated or misunderstood team reference!!

Last edited by DunWkg; 06-03-10 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-03-10, 05:55 AM
Sugar3d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by euroja153
I have to second that. Ive had nothing but courtesy on the road, and I also tend to give out courtesy too. I think the Lexus portrays a nice person imagine compared to something like a Range Rover.
+1

I've owned/driven a ford excort, volvo s70, 07 RX, and now my 10 RX. Over the years I have yet to notice any change in the way people treat me even have the added frustration of DWB (driving while black).
Ok DWB has never been a frustration for me either. .
Old 06-03-10, 07:40 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Karma

Maybe it's living in the SE, or maybe it's my Karma, but it doesn't seem to be a problem here. Of course Lexus is a BIG brand here in most communities.

Now what 'I' have fun doing on the highway is staring at people in traffic when I catch them picking their nose. Then if they happen to look at me, I just give them a really big . Makes my day every time
Old 06-03-10, 07:54 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

[QUOTE=DunWkg;5538747]Just curious, do you have a personalized license plate referencing the wrong football/basketball/baseball/soccer team or wrong university?

Funny thing is I have a customized license plate with a message in memory of a deceased family member. I didn't do it for sympathy on the road, that's just how I feel and wanted to keep the memory alive. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have a custom plate because I'm just not that type of person, but I'm always surprised that I don't get a little extra courtesy since I'm visibly showing I'm a kind and compassionate person.

I see a lot of people think this is a "NY thing", but I've lived in NY all my life and I've only noticed the difference since I went from a plain ole domestic car to a Lexus. That's why I felt it was more of a bias towards luxury and/or Lexus vehicles rather than my location.

Thanks for all of your replies . . . this has been an interesting read!
Old 06-03-10, 11:07 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

ChitChat, I'm sure the replies were not what you expected. You really hit a good topic here. Thanks for bringing it up.

Now I'm in Jersey, apparently second worst drivers to NYers. Some people are just self centered and oblivious to other drivers on the road. But I think the next time I get flipped off, and it's important to note they are the one in the wrong (always the case ), I'm going to blow them a big kiss and show 'em a little Lexus love

And I have personalized plates too, animal friendly. So I guess I have to be kind to all animals
Old 06-03-10, 12:07 PM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen any rudeness in MD while driving the Lexus. However, My friend has a BMW 550 and he gets people being rude to him all the time. He tries to merge or pass and people will speed up not to let him in. Mind you he has on goggles, driving gloves and has a way with his horn.....(just kidding). I do call him Captain Power though because he always quotes me 0-60 times on his car that are nowhere near what anyone else claims in their reviews.

Quick Reply: Rudeness Towards RX350 Drivers